Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:? Cato has been on antibiotics for 10 days now for kennel cough. He was on sulfa-meth for the first 7 days and then Clavamox for the remainder. The problem is that he has not been getting better. Instead for the past two days the mucus coming from his nose and what he has been coughing up is turning yellow. I'm so worried because his eyes are very pink too. He is a 13 week old puppy who received his distemper shot on 12/4/07, but he has not yet received the remainder sets of shots because the vet didn't want to vaccinate a sick puppy. I have been researching online and I am so afraid he might have distemper. I made an appointment to go to the vet tomorrow. He's very warm but I don't think he has a fever; he eats and he plays, but he seems like he's more exhausted then usual. :(

I hope everything goes well tomorrow.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I am sooooo sorry that your baby is sick!! I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers, and definately keep us updated!!!

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Hope the vet visit goes well, let us know what they say.  <<<<<<<healing>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.

G

·
0 Posts
I know how you feel, "When will they get better!?" Seven got kennel cough when he was young (about 4 months old), he was on antibiodics for about 2 weeks (just in case of a secondary infection). It took him almost a month to get over kennel cough, I didnt think he would get better, I was getting worried too. Its the most awful sounding cough ever!, like a broken trombone or something stuck in his throat. I even stuck my fingers down his throat when he started coughing that awful cough because I thought something was stuck in there. He had a greenish/yellow discharge from his nose too. Dont worry, Cato will get over it, the kennel cough just has to run its course. The Clavamox is just to prevent a secondary infection, theres no cure for kennel cough. You might want to give Cato a teaspoon of honey by itself to help ease the cough (put it on a plate and let Cato lick it off), it helped Seven a bit. And keep Cato away from other dogs, dog parks, or where other dogs frequent until Cato's all better! (very contagious) Hope that helps!

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Poor baby! :(   Henry had kennel cough too.  A little Robitussin DM - no sugar, no alcohol - will  help the cough.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
I had one of my boxers at one of the top veterinary schools in the US once for a leg injury.  There was a doctor there from France who stopped to pat my dog.  I made the comment that he had so many medical problems.  He told me that they had done a medical study in Europe on boxers and found that they don't get distemper.  I found that very amazing and haven't ever verified it but it is a nice thought.  Here's to your little one getting better soon.  I had one with kennel cough once and it wasn't fun to watch the poor little guy go thru it.  

Your vet is correct in NOT vaccinating a sick dog.  Most vets like to do the shots if you bring them in for something else (eg:sick or surgery) and most people go for it as they can get it all done at once and don't need to bring them back another time. It is not good to vaccinate a sick dog for anything.

Nano

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
I am sorry your baby is sick. Both of mine had kennel cough when I got them. Lucy's was more severe with the mucus from the nose like you describe. She was on antibiotics as well and it took her a while to get over it. She also had mange at that time and I think her poor immune system was so weak, she had a hard time getting over all that stuff. She was sick for about two months after we got her with all of her ailments but now she is a little terror! Keep your chin up, I am sure in a month from now you will be saying the same thing.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Sorry your babe is feeling bad and fighting kennel cough can be a pain in the butt!!!  It can take a while to clear it up especially if there is any type of secondary infection.  In distemper it is generally associated with a high fever normally up to and over 104 so if you can take a rectal temp that may be a good idea. Also, they will look very disoriented and starry eyed and will also have a bit of a shake to them almost like they twitch a little...It is hard when you have a pup that is sick in between shots because it is true that you should never vaccinate an animal that feels bad but then it is a catch 22 with pups because they run the risk of catching something if they are not vaccinated.....Hope things improve soon!!!! I have found the best med's for kennel cough to be Zenequin and/or Zythromicin maybe talk to your vet about using a different med....The old standby is Clavamox but it usually just does not help!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you very mcuh for all of your support. We went to the vet today, and he finally decided to give Cato his second sets of shots. He wanted to wait, but decided it is best to just do it so he can't catch anything else in the main time. Cato was very hyper and playful at the vet and was eating all the treats the staff were giving him. The vet ruled out distemper, but told me to stay on antibiotic. The xrays shown the infection is mainly upper respirtory so he is ok for now.

While we were at the vet, a lady came in with two adult boxers. They were very friendly, and Cato saw his extended family in person for the first time. He's reaction was very funny. He wanted to go say hi, but scared at the same time. I didn't get Cato get close to the two boxers because I didn't want them to catch what he had.

Thank you to all again.

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
awww i hope hes feeling better soon..i went through kennel cough with both dogs,same time..and it took about 2 months to get better..the pills didnt work so they gave them both injections also..hard to see them so sick..hell be ok hang in there..

i love his little face hehe

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Poor baby, hoping this second round of meds helps....It's no fun when our babies are sick

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
I hope Cato is back to his old self soon!  :)

·
Registered
882 Posts
aww poor little Cato, I hope he feels better very soon...hang in there...let the meds do there thing and give him lots of love

·
Registered
508 Posts
All of mine got kennell cough because when i brought Jet home, he was a stray on the side of a road, he ended up having kennel cough and passed it on to Zeus and Dante. It is a horrible thing to watch your babies go through and it was expensive for those meds as well. Theres finally went away after about 2 weeks of being on meds. I m sorry you are going through this.

Cato is adorable.
<<<<<<<<<<<<healing>>>>>>>>>>>

1 - 16 of 16 Posts