Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good everning.  This may end up being fairly long but I just joined this forum in hopes that someone may be able to help...

We have a 19 month old boxer who is always full of energy.  Here lately, he has been so weak.  He was waking us up late at night crying.  We took him to the vet twice.  They kept him over night both times.  They sent him home with Doxycycline and Prednisone.  He got better for a few days now it's happening all over again but seems worse.  He is alert, but weak.  He only gets up if it is absolutely necessary.  He wants to sit up but he has to lay back down.  

They said that it could be a one of a few things... arthritis, growing pains, feeding him too much (he is only 61 pounds), cancer...

Doesn't seem like they know what is wrong... But vet bills sure do add up.

He is so weak it's pitiful.  This is definitely not usual for him.  Does anyone have any ideas??

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear that your boxer boy is not doing well...my cousin's boxer  was acting the same way and unfortunately it turned out to be cancer...he is much older than yours though.

I understand how the bills add up...my 12 month old has heart disease...we have a credit card just for him...I would strongly recommend that you get pet insurance before you find out exactly what is wrong. Heavn forbid it turn out to be something as serious as cancer the insurance may be able to help with bills.  Good luck....we'll keep you in our thoughts.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We just ran across something.  We think he may have lyme disease.  He has all the symptoms of the disease and he is on the right medication to treat it.  Hope it works...

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Well bless your sweet little heart!  That poor baby!  If it is lymes disease, the doc should be able to tell you that it is lymes disease.  I would also seek a second opinion.  Also, if there is a vet school near by, they will do things there for really cheap or even free.
For the doc to say that he just doesn't know in unacceptable.  If he doesn't know what's wrong, you need to go to someone who can figure it out.
Good luck and we'll pray for you.
Zhanna :(

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Like Zhanna said, get a second opinion...Any vet that is that wishy washy concerns me...You mentioned Lyme disease, are you in an area that has ticks? It's not from feeding him too much, or I seriously doubt it's growing pains, never saw mine act like that...Keep doing your research on Lyme's and continue to ask a lot of questions!!!!

Give that boy a big hug & keeping him in my thoughts...Please keep us posted ok?

·
Registered
50 Posts
I also agree with Zhanna about getting a second opinion.  I know when my parents' boxer, Jake, acted similar to that the vet ran a test & found out right away (while they were still there) that Jake unfortunately had cancer.  I am suprised at the vet not knowing what was wrong.  

Good luck & hug that boy of yours.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I agree with the second opinion- Also check for valley fever- it is very common in boxers, especially in the southwest.  I hope he feels better soon.  Another thing to check out is the insurance plans. Google pet insurance- it is just like health insurance for you but you will have to submit the claims and be reimbursed.  Well worth it with climbing vet bills though!

·
Registered
22 Posts
did the doctor run a heart check ,just to b sure ?hope you find out whats wrong there is nothing more distressing than your baby sick  :cry: please keep us uptodate thanx xxx

1 - 9 of 9 Posts