Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I havent been able to post here in a while.. i had surgery and my daughter took pnewmonia...

but to catch you all up.. harley got to where he was feeling sick.. he would just lay around lost a lot of energy.. and then started scratching and digging and loosing hair all over... as well as red runny eyes

we went to vet and changed his food.. as advised.. he was on nutro ultra and wasnt eating it at all.. he would go for days and not do anything but nibble it.. he lots 3 lbs in a week..

sooo we put him on pro plan.. as the vet advised... and again same thing.. the digging and scratching and HUGE flakey skin peeling off all over him.

the vet told me finally after lots of testing and blood work that to put him on yet another food.. he said he would normally recomment hills diet a kind for sensitive stomachs...... but in harleys case he wanted to try him on iams.. he even gave us a free bag because weve been out so much money the past 3weeks or so

he told me to just switch out the food cold turkey and gave him something in case he got upset stomach.. (which he didnt)

but now all the scratching is gone.. the dry skin has cleared up.. the puss is no longer running out of his eyes as much.. he has more energy and is finally eating.. in fact today at the vet he has gained 7lbs and is a whopping healthy 21lbs.. the vet was happy with his progress and told me to keep him on the iams.. said that i could start in a week if i wanted mixing some canned food in with the kibble.. but said that harley look remarkable and was doing much better now. and that he could see the change in energy just from the vet visits.

my problem is this..

I KNOW IAMS ISNT A GOOD FOOD..  scored a 70 something on food scale.. i know thats not the worst but still not what i would choose for my baby.  but i dont want to change food again because he is doing so well now..

sooooooo
since its a lower food do i need to mix anything with it to make up in nutrients.????  i give him yougrt and cottage cheese and peanut butter sometimes.. (maybe once a week or so) but any suggestions on what to do from here.

and am i making a mistake still by doing this with my vet????

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Honestly if its working - stick with it for now.  Young pups have weak immune systems and tweeking too much (the diet) may not be the answer, but yet, stick with it if its working, get him healthy and I would say revisit after 3 solid months of him eating and good health.   All food is balanced fine, just some use by-products and fillers that IMO are not necessary for the food.  However, he will not be loosing any nutrients, just eating some lower grade stuff and fillers, but he may need that now.

So just stick it out - first thing of importance is not the food, its the health of the dog.  If he is eating it, stick with it, and then work with diet down the line.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Yep, if it works, stick with it! I have yet to find a food that works well for Maddie, so I know the frustration! If he is thriving on the Iams then stick with it for now. If you still feel you would rather find a better quality food in a few months than I would compare ingredients with other brands and find something comparible but without the by-products and fillers. Good Luck, and I hope Harley and your daughter are feeling better soon!

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
IAMS is not  the *worst* food, its not like feeding kibbles and bits or Ol'Roy.   If that was the case I would advise just opening a box of fruity pebbles and feed - get more nutrition.

IAMS just uses a lot of fillers, insuffience protein content, and uses bi-products.  

However, *if* you puppy is only eating it, then is it better to have your pup eat nothing??? Nope, but it may cause some food alergies, may have to feed more, and pick up more dukes.  But if its working then go with it, then after three months find something a little better.

You can while on it use stuff like salmon oil, sardines to add to it.  These boost immune systems and help fight off little infections or stuff that puppies are very succeptable to.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
I would stick with the Iams also, but you could add Solid Gold Seameal; it is a vitamin and mineral supplement.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
A food is only as good as how well the dog takes it....So in that aspect it really does not matter what it scores....You can have the best food out there and if they puke, have loose stool or have bad skin it wont make a difference on the "grading scale"  You use what works as long as they eat well, maintain well and grow well....without issues....:)  I say if you have already been through other foods and this one is working then why change?

·
Registered
381 Posts
Like others have said, if your dog is doing good on it, keep him on it.  I have many friends that feed Iams and their dogs seem to be doing great on it.  I've fed Lola a couple bags of Iams and this was after I did my dog food research.

The only concern I have on Iams is how much meat the dog is actually getting.  How much of that protein % on the bag comes from a meat source and not a plant source (corn can be a protein source, but it's only about 50% digestable).  Therefore if you want to supplement the Iams with something "high quality" once in a while just add some real meats like:  turkey, chicken, steak, sardines, mackeral, an egg once a week, etc...  I give Lola table scraps a few times per week.  And by table scraps I don't mean that I only cut off the fat and give her straight fat.  She gets a full piece of ham, or a good sized piece of chicken, some steak, veges, etc...

I think people take the food issue a bit too far sometimes.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ive thought about the food while i was at the school to get the kids today.. and after i got home and let harley out of kennel. he went straight for the food back and actually at just plain kibble.. so im going to keep him on iams.  he has NEVER ate just plain kibble so he clearly likes the food.. and his skin is no longer flakey.

ive tried the following foods with him

nutro ultra
pro plan
innova (think i spelled that right)
and
chicken soup for puppys soul.

all of these he did not eat well i had to mix some p/b with it or cottage cheese  and his skin flaked all over like dandruff

he has been on iams for 2 weeks and his skin looks healthy.. i see less and less eye boogers and he has a lot of energy. and the biggest thing for me is HE ACTUALLY EATS IT...hahaha

and i feel much better about it than puppy chow or as you said kibble and bits. also i noticed online that iams has a food called active ingred's.. i noticed it because of the pic of the boxer on the front... so im 100% gonna stick with this.. and every other day or so give him some fresh meat mixed in it.. and still give the cottage cheese and yogurt.

sooo wish me luck at keeping him on the food and keeping him healthy. i was actally scared to start this thread because everytime i bring it up to my friends here they jump my case for "DOWN GRADING" his food. but as i told them.. i have to do what will keep harley healthy

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
I think people take the food issue a bit too far sometimes
IMO to a certain extent.  Always agree that what works for one may not work for another.  But IMO I think a dogs overall health is based on genetics and diet.  And you need to understand the diet and the dog to be get the right food.  (again imo).

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
IMO, vets unfortunately recommend and sell low quality food, but you already knew that :p  Probably is a good idea to keep him on Iams while he gains some weight.  If/When you are ready to try another food, California Natural is a good choice for dogs with allergies as each variety has only one source of meat.  It does sound like he has some sort of food allergy. Also check out this site. http://dogfoodanalysis.com/
Hope he feels better soon:)

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
im thinking of keeping him on iams.. i mean its not the WORSE food.. for sure.. but im going to mix some chicken with it some.. too...

i dont want to twist his little tummy.. ive had him such a short months now and hes been on so many foods.. this one is really working.. i can no longer see his ribs anymore.. he is actually plump looking now.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts