Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking OH NO!  I don't want to feed this crap to my dogs....... Tell him, okay....  Look at my husband and say, I don't want to feed them this stuff.  It isn't good.  So... We made a trip to the local Nelson Wholesale.  I had my eye on Merrick, had hubby talked into it.... The first 4 ingredients are meat.  I was so excited.  Then the salesman comes up and says, "If you are looking for the best dog food on the market go with tht Life4K9.  Gives my husband his sales pitch and sends us home with a free 5 pound bag... So, no Merrick.  Hubby says, you picked last time, I am this time......  Anyone heard anything about the Life4K9?  
Baked Lamb & Barley
Made with real Oven-baked Lamb with fresh Sweet Potato and Avocado oil for healthy skin and a lustrous coat. LIFE4K9 Lamb & Barley recipe ensures that your dog receives optimum nutrition made only from the highest quality premium-grade ingredients. LIFE4K9 Lamb & Barley recipe is formulated to be complete and balanced nutrition for every day of your dog's life.
Ingredients:

Lamb, Ground Barley, Ground Oats, Lamb Meal, White Fish Meal, Olive Oil (preserved w/ mixed tocopherols and ascorbic acid), Dicalcium Phosphate, Calcium Carbonate, Avocado Oil, Sweet Potatoes, Flax Seed Meal, Salt, Rosemary Extract, Sage, Dried Yucca, Dried Lactobacillus, Acidophilus Fermentations Product, Dried Bifidobactarium, Biffidum, Fermentation Product, Dried Bacillus Subtilis Fermentation Product, Dried Bacillus Licheniformis, Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Lactis Fermentation Product, Vitamin A supplement, Vitamin C, D, and E, Lecithin, Niacin, - Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin,Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine, Mononitrate, Folic Acid, Biotin, Zinc Sulfate, Zinc Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganese Proteinate, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite

Guaranteed Analysis:
Crude Protein Minimum 21.0%
Crude Fat Minimum 9.0%
Crude Fiber Maximum 2.5%
Moisture Maximum 11.0%

I don't understand the whole grading food process so I can't give you that number......  I hope this is better than the Nutro Ultra I was feeding, I don't want to go to a lower quality food.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Re: Vet says, come on in and pick up some Science Diet......

Never heard of it, does not seem bad like science diet, a little grain heavy for me, but seems to be fine.  Would not say its the *BEST* food on the market, but good if you got free samples and can see if your dogs like it.

Lamb is a good protein for alergies.  There is no corn (yeah) or wheat.   Barley and oats are an ok carb source, three protein sources in the top 5 (thats good)  so give it a try and let us know.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts

Wow...haven't heard of it...I don't do anything with grains...but, it sound better then most!  We are feeding Merricks and it's excellent!

·
Registered
7,757 Posts

I never heard of it either, but it looks real good. It has a lot of probiotics in it which is good too.  Let us know how the kids do on it!  :)

·
Registered
2,134 Posts

I agree with Hanna - it looks okay, but grain heavy - I feed Merrick and have seen amazing results with it.  Can't hurt to try a sample, but unless Merrick goes out of business I'm not switching - there are other things to consider along with ingredients however, i.e. how long has the company been in business, who actually produces their foods (is it made in house or do they leave it to an outside manufacturer to make it for them and how long has the "salesman" been selling dog food???  to name just a couple.  There is always something new on the market and that doesn't mean it's bad - but for me I like to see that a company has been around for a while and stands behind it's product and I seek advice from people that have been in the business for a long time and stay on top of the food recall updates, etc.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts

Since it was a sample, it's worth a try and it really doesn't seem to be that bad of food....

·
Registered
212 Posts

Whats wrong with Science Diet?...My vet gave Carter some can Science Diet for about a week...

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

I want to switch to Merrick and will, as soon as I make my hubby think this is awful.  The pieces just crumble and burst in to powder when you squeeze them.  The canned food smells really good, but I want Merrick and eventually they will be on it. LOL... I am just biding my time.  Hubby has to have a turn.

I just don' tlike all of the corn and by products in science diet.  So far so good.

G

·
0 Posts

This Merrick food is expensive.  Is it really that good compared to most brands?

·
Registered
381 Posts

Merrick is a good dog food.  I believe it's a 4 star on dogfoodanalysis.com.  It's a little on the expensive side but if your dog does well on it, that's the most important thing.

G

·
0 Posts

The food doesn't look to be that bad...and if it was free try it...how is the regular price in comparison to Merrick or your nutro?

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

This dog food is 22 dollars for 20 pounds.  Not too bad price wise, but the dogs will barely eat it without the canned food in there with it.  I've heard lots of good stuff about Merrick and Canidae, but Merrick is all that I have available and only in 5 lb bags.  Do ya'll know of any places that ship free?

·
Registered
11,429 Posts

I believe Timberwolf ships free over a certain $ amount; I think it is $25.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

I'll have to check in to that.  I still haven't decided what food to feed, but this new stuff is not appetizing to them at all and Laila has started vomiting today.  I had to bathe them because they got super muddy and after her bath she vomited 4 times.... You could see the peas from the canned food that I have to mix in for them to eat.... I have got to find something her stomach can handle........ I'm on the search.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts