Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Debo is pretty well mannered at home, but when Debo goes to the vet he goes absolutely NUTS! When he normally doesn't jump up at us, he does this to every other person. He also pee's everytime he sees the vet assistants and vet. (He went a total of 5 times! I didn't think he had any left!) He does the "bean thing" and he just can't seem to calm down. When the vet leaves, he's so pooped, he lays down and pants, but as soon as he comes back in, it's jumping, peeing, almost like tackling, but he's just so excited. Is this due a socialization thing? If so, how can we better socialize him? What can we do in the vet to make it a "calmer" experience? The vet assitants don't help by praising him when he jumps on them. "Aw you such a good boy." Jass, our other dog is so chilled and relaxed. They say she has such good manners and Debo should take some lessons from her, even though they praise him for his "bad manners". *Sigh* And just to note, Debo is almost 7 months.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Don't know if this will help but Donner used to do the same kinda stuff when people came to our door at home. We finally posted a big sign that says "Please help us, we are in training, please don't look at, talk to or touch Donner until he relaxes and sits down" all our friends helped by doing this and now when someone comes he sits, wiggles like crazy, but sits and then things are ok. Maybe a walk to release some tension before going into the vets? And I would ask the vet and techs to HELP with the issues NOT re-enforce the behavior. Good Luck :D

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes, maybe we can have some friends come over to help..so we can get it down pat at HOME and then the VET. it's true we don't get alot of company and when we do, we usually have to restrain him by h olding his collar so he doesn't jump up. i still want him socialized. so i put him around the people to let him sniff and make sure he sits, but scared to let him go!

·
Registered
292 Posts
I would try a trainer. He's just excited and they understand that there. Also work on his jumping when he meets new people, I would ask Liz about that.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I second DonnersMoms' advice.  Our trainer recommended this..it helped somewhat..it's the people who didn't obey the sign.  My parents especially.

BTW, Debo is absolutely gorgeous..can I have him? LOL  :D

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I am sure Liz can help you better with training issues.  I wanted to say not to think he is the only one.

Almost all the boxers pups and adults that come to see me are excited and hyper to be there.  They wiggle and Bean all around.  

I had a male about 6 months old that did the same thing.  Everytime he was touched he would pee a little.  It was from being excited.  I actually reached to pet him when they first walked in the exam room and he pee'd right on top of my shoe.   :D

Another breed that is BAD about doing this is Cockers...You can look at them and they Pee  :lol:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts