Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ruling has been concluded and the owner of two Boxers was sentenced to 90 days in jail, followed by four years probation and ordered to pay court cost, fees and medical bills for a total of $123,000.

Here is the original story from DVM Magazine:

"The Nov. 9 walk with two of her six children, ages 9 and 11, started off like most others. In Valley Center, a semi-rural town north of San Diego, there are plenty of unpaved pathways. On one of those slow, dirt roads two Boxers walked out from behind her neighbor's open gate.

Matthews, a veterinarian for nearly 20 years, says she's never been fearful of dogs. Like many of her colleagues, she's regarded the nation's growing movement calling for breed-specific bans as a cop out for what's really an ownership issue not inherent to animals.

Protecting her two sons never left Dr. Nancy Matthews' mind. "More than anything, I was concerned for them," she says.
But that afternoon, something triggered the canines' alarming behavior. Matthews believes fear in her younger child's eyes set one of the dogs off and, in turn, provoked their pack instinct. It also ignited her maternal drive to protect.

"As a vet, I know my way around dogs and other animals. But when one of the dogs saw my son Heath, he saw easy prey. The dog lunged past me, and when he went after Heath, I jumped him."

The attack happened so fast Matthews had no idea whether or not the boys were hurt. "I thought my son was dead," she says. Yet in reality, the oldest, Patrick, had climbed a barbwire fence while Heath shimmied up a pole.

The dogs knocked Matthews down and for 15 minutes they tore at her, dragging her body into a ditch while inflicting more than 90 bite wounds. Consciousness was fleeting. Curling up in a ball proved Matthews' best defense.

"I knew I was dying," she recalls. "I realized the boys were seeing me get killed. I didn't know how long I could keep the dogs busy, but I had to protect myself. I had seen what dogs could do to horses. I knew they would go for the jugular and the back of my legs."

Matthews reflects on breed bans: "They won't work. Dogs can have the phenotypic appearance of a non-banned breed but aggressive tendencies lurking in the genotype."

Matthews now realizes the boys were screaming for help. After what seemed an eternity, the hysterics alerted the dogs' owner who fought the animals off with a rake. After contacting her husband, Matthews went to the hospital by ambulance, receiving a blood transfusion, six hours of plastic surgery and other medical attention for a week.

During her stay, authorities revealed at least one of the dogs was the subject of two previous but minor attacks. The owner turned the dogs in to authorities, and San Diego County Department of Animal Control officials promptly euthanized the animals. Regional Director John Carlson claims problems with an earlier victim's statement prevented officials from destroying the dogs sooner. There was no indication that they were fighting dogs, he adds.

"This "The Boxer" is not a breed that's normally fought, but these guys were pretty nasty," he says. "The fact that the victim is a veterinarian didn't help her. I've seen plenty of animal professionals attacked."

Carlson has since forwarded a report to the County of San Diego District Attorney's office, which assigned what's referred to as "The Matthews Incident" to a prosecutor who will review the case for criminal charges."

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
holy thats quite the story!
I'm so glad she ended up okay in the end. I'm also thankful that she's maintaining her position that it was not a breed-specific issue.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
The fact that at least one of these dogs had already been involved in another attack was proof enough to me that they deserved to be put down and the owner prosecuted.  I don't care what breed a dog is.  A bad dog is a bad dog.  I feel really bad for that woman, and I can't imagine the nightmares she and her boys will have remembering that horrible day.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
that is so horrifying!! i am so happy that she is ok and her children are fine!! If one of these dogs had been in an attack 2 time before then something should have been done then....not now! that is very upsetting!

G

·
0 Posts
poor lady...my husband's cousin saw this on tv somewhere...now she is terrified of boxers...she wouldn't pet Jetta when we had her over at their house...but let her kids pet her..it was weird.

·
Registered
314 Posts
My cousin was attacked by a boxer when she was petting it, (I wasnt there) she lives in cali so i dont know what happened only what she tells me, but im sure she did something that upset it.  But she was knelt down petting it(the owners were walking her) and the dog jumped up and bit her on the face.  She was rushed to the emergency room and had 25 stitches on her lip and face and then plastic surgery later to repair.  Crazy deal how sometimes certian things, smell, or behaviors can provoke a dog.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Britneysdad\";p=\"84341 said:
Thats the sad part a few give all a bad name when things like this happen.
That is true but thankfully the vet is still standing firm on feeling there is not a need for a ban on breed specific and that alot of incidents revert back to the owners, that is a good thing.......

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
I believe it is the owners fault also; if that dog had been in two other incidents he should have been taken to a behaviorist to see what the problem was and if it was fixable.  Its too bad that the law didn't force the owners to have the dog go through some kind of rehabilitation for aggression.

G

·
0 Posts
teared up a little bit reading this...     i would have been scared to death.  i could not even imagine what would be going through your mind during something like this.

I am SO glad her and her boys are ok.  even though the dog had not only one but TWO MINOR attacks it was still an attack.  the fact that it was roaming free is a BIG problem.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
My brother was bit in the face by a neighbors Golden Retriever when he was younger.  And we had always played with the dog, never would have thought anything would ever happen.  It was a very sweet dog.  Something just triggered him. It really could happen to anyone.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
you just never know...it can't be pinned on specific breeds. Any dog can attack for one reason or another no matter what the breed.
They do still have animal instincts and can revert back to those when placed in a situation where something triggers them.
As much as we'd all like to say we can, you can never trust your dog 100% guaranteed that it will never attack another human or animal.

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
that is so sad..terrible...i still stand firm on the fact that there are no bad dogs..just bad owners...im so glad shes ok and her sons...me in that situation would have been horrific since both of my sons are so protective...and have little fear of anything...(which is NOT always good)..esp my 9 year old who remembers his brother in the hospital for almost 2 months and them saying he would not make it and then 2 mon ths later their father being killed...hes super protective...GOOD LORD my boys would have been hurt badly or worse...

thank God her sons knew enough to climb and scream...it saved her life and theirs..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts