Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NFL suspends 'reprehensible' Vick indefinitely
League makes move hours after quarterback strikes plea deal

NEW YORK - The NFL indefinitely suspended Michael Vick without pay Friday just hours after he acknowledged in court papers that he did, indeed, bankroll gambling on dogfighting and helped kill some dogs not worthy of the pit.

Vick, however, insisted he placed no bets of his own nor took any winnings.

In disciplining Vick, commissioner Roger Goodell said Vick

·
Registered
61 Posts
Now take every penny he has, and put it into making the lives of the dogs he mishandled and others like them better, sieze his properties and make rescues to care for them. Force him to spend the rest of his life working hard to support himself while those he mis-treated live in the lap of luxury.

I'll be happy then.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
It's nice to see the system work like it suppose to for once.  Or, maybe they figured there were more animal lovers out there in tv land than football fans.  I am sure the money it's going to cost him and his reputation and career down the tubes, one day he'll be lucky to even live behind an animal shelter. ha ha ha on him.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
YEAH!!

Though "indefinitely" doesn't have a time frame on it... it could be 2 years, 10 years or forever. I hope and am pretty sure that it means forever... or at least long enough to make him too old or out of shape to be anything again!

I'm glad that he is actually being punished... AND I THINK IT'S a load of CROC that Vick, however, insisted he placed no bets of his own nor took any winnings.

What would be the point of going through ALL that if you're not making money off it!!!!???? That is such an obvious lie!! Like when Paris Hilton told Larry King in her interview with him that she'd never done drugs... nope... never done ANY DRUGS... EVER. Yet there are video's of her SHOOTING UP all over the net!!

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Kate\";p=\"25921 said:
It's nice to see the system work like it suppose to for once.  Or, maybe they figured there were more animal lovers out there in tv land than football fans. I am sure the money it's going to cost him and his reputation and career down the tubes, one day he'll be lucky to even live behind an animal shelter. ha ha ha on him.
Not sure what you meant by that, but I hope you don't think that all animal fans are against Vick and all football fans are for Vick.  Most football fans are animal lovers too (self included), and of all the football fans I know, not a one supported Vick.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Mastray\";p=\"25923 said:
... AND I THINK IT'S a load of CROC that Vick, however, insisted he placed no bets of his own nor took any winnings. What would be the point of going through ALL that if you're not making money off it!!!!???? That is such an obvious lie!!
I agree Mastray it sounds so stupid; so I guess he is saying that he only wanted the dogs so he could kill the ones that didn't fight well, not to make money off the fighting.   :bslame:

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
:clap:  :signbye: :clap:  :signbye: :clap:  :signbye: :clap:  :signbye: :clap:  :signbye: :clap:  :signbye: :clap:  :signbye:

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Anyone know when he is suppose to be sentenced?  I am eager to see the outcome of that.

In other celeb news:  I heard yesterday that Nicole Richie who had the 2nd DUI charge and got 4 days in jail turned herself in and was only required to stay like 80 minutes and was released.........

I am aware that the charges are no where near the same, but it still AMAZES me what money can buy and I wonder if that will ring true with Vic also....I guess I hope he is set as the example in this case!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Like sharon, I am not getting too excited until I see the outcome.   Also as Marie pointed out....what does "indefinately' mean.  I would like to see the timeline of his suspension stated more precisely...like FOREVER.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Okay... I guess I need to clear things up a bit here (as the forum NFL expert).

1) Vick pleaded guilty on Friday to the dog-fighting charges but*....

2) ...*He partially pleaded guilty... he was charged with trafficking dogs, funding the fighting, killing dogs and betting on dog fights.  Vick said "Judge, I'm guilty, but I'm only partially guilty... I trafficked and funded, but I didn't kill dogs or bet on fights".

3) The NFL didn't care for Vick's partial or full disclosure.  Roger Goodell, Commissioner of the NFL, stated Vick lied multiple times... once to Art Blank, the owner of the Atlanta Falcons, once to Goodell and also when he initially pleaded innocent in court.  Goodell suspended Vick indefinately** for breaching the NFL's "Player Conduct Code"... something I mentioned much earlier in this case that Vick would get nailed on... essentially, anything that brings a bad image to the NFL can get you kicked-out of the NFL for breaching the NFL code of conduct.  That's what Goodell acted on.

4) The "Partial Guilty Plea*", may not fly too well in court... to get a plea bargain, you say "I'm guilty" or you don't.  Vick is trying to have it both ways... he's trying to get a plea bargain while scratching-off the two worst parts of the charges (the killing part is a PR disaster, while the betting part would surely get him in even bigger trouble with the NFL).  The Judge hearing the case has to either accept the plea bargain if he thinks its genuine, or he can throw it out if he thinks it's incencere or not a full disclosure.

5) The Judge will either accept or turn-down Vick's guilty plea on Monday the 27th of August.  I can't recall if that includes a sentence if accepted, but we'll know on Monday if the judge is going to accept the Vick's version of the guilty plea or throw it back in his face and make Vick stand trial... for the record, Vick doesn't want to stand trial... he'll lose for sure... the evidence against him is overwhelming.  Pleading guilty eases things on Vick a bit, but he's trying to make it even easier on himself with his partial guilty plea... I'm not sure how well this will go-over in court, but in any case the NFL called Vick on his bluff and suspended him indefinately**.

6) The "Indefinate" suspension**.  Okay... folks are asking about this... an "Indefinate" suspension in the NFL is neither short-term nor long-term.  It could be a lifetime ban, or it could last a couple of weeks.  What it really means is Vick is out the door, he's suspended without pay... he can't play football anymore, and it opens the door for the Atlanta Falcons franchise to seek their money investment in Vick back (sue Vick for his contract $$$).

Realistically, Vick is DEFINATELY gone for the entire 2007 season no matter what... I'd say he's almost certainly gone for the 2008 season as well, and I wouldn't be surprised if he never returns to the NFL... BUT... an indefinate suspension CAN BE APPEALED by the player (Vick), to seek re-instatement in the league.  Basically, at any time in the future, Vick can come to the NFL and say "look, I'm sorry, this is what I've done to fix things, please let me back in".  It then goes to a review committee (including the NFL Commissioner) and he's either reinstated or refused.

Like I said... realistically speaking, nobody is going to want him around for a year or two at least... two or three years down the road, if Vick has served his time and done some other things to restore his image, he might be considered to come back in and get the suspension lifted.

Keep in mind this one important fact though... Vick won't be playing football in the NFL for at least two years... NFL-calibre ability wanes quickly if it's not used, and a couple of years of aging without playing can and will seriously lower his ability and attractiveness to NFL clubs.  Even if Vick does get the suspension lifted somewhere down the road (a slippery slope at best), the odds of Vick ever leading a team as the QB is pretty slim.

To make a long story short (too late, I know), the "Indefinate Suspension" on Vick is very serious, and may-well end his career regardless of what happens to him in the courts.  If he ever returns to the NFL he'd be a shadow of his former glory in pay, role, ability and image.  The Indefinate Suspension Goodell placed on Vick is very serious, and quite possibly more damaging to Vick then any jail sentence he will receive from the courts.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Way to go Roger Goodell and the NFL. Now. lets see some teeth put into his sentence and give him at least the 18 mo minimum or better yet, the 5 year max. Then put a block on all future book and movie deals (you know they'll come) Love the idea of any monies going to shelters, rescues etc. If I though he could be trusted, I'd like to see him do time caring for victims of his "sport" or maybe just cleaning kennels and dog-poo :lol:

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I wont be completely happy until that scum is flat broke with nothing left to do but sit and think about what he did to all of those poor dogs.
I just ordered a sticker for my truck with a dog taking a poop on Vicks name..and a shirt that says my dog could kick Vicks azz.. :lol:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts