Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After much much research and tons of reading, I have decided to switch our currently raw fed nine month old boxer pup to Victor Hero Canine. However, I can't figure out how much to feed her, the info on their website is basically to just let them self feed, but there is no way i'm comfortable with that and plus, my older dog would get so fat :) I currently feed her three times a day. To transition i'm going to feed raw in the morning and dry at night for a week or so. for her weight according to the bag/website i should feed her just over two cups per day, but since she is still a puppy i feel like she probably needs more than that....has anyone else had experience feeding Victor to a puppy?

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
I have been feeding Victor since my boxer was 5 months old. We like them a lot. One of my other dogs recently has been having some joint issues so we switched formulas, we are now using Victor Performance Formula Dry Dog Food, because of the added glucosamine. I have always fed about 1 1/2 cups 2x a day. He has maintained his weight . I will eventually switch my new puppy over to Victor also, he is on Fromm gold puppy, I'll see how it goes as he is doing great on it .

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
GypsieMouse, I do agree that the raw diet is a super healthy way to raise your dogs, but unfortunately my meat sources have dried up on me and we are not able to financially keep feeding out dogs raw. We have been limited to feeding only chicken and with the research i have been doing i know now that this is a nutrient deficient diet. I decided that well balanced kibble is actually probably to my puppy's benefit right now in place of the deficient chicken diet our dogs are currently getting. our hope would be that this summer when the farmer's markets are available again we can switch them back and maybe the future will look like six months of raw and six months of kibble. I have done a lot of research on kibbles and Victor looks like a respectable brand with high ratings, Linda's comments help me to feel even better about making the change. Thanks!! I'll try three cups per day and see how she looks after a couple of weeks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts