Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying to read all the posts on what, if any, vitamins, oils, supplements, etc. you give your dogs.  Needless to say I'm getting confused.  I was wondering if we could do one post on what you give your dog and why and where you get it.  Also anything you add in their foods, what it is and why you do it.  Pumpkin, yogurt, etc.  I'm just curious as to if I should be giving Lola something that I'm not.  

Thanks a bunch!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
You should get a variety of responses Alicia....

Samson gets: Glyco Flex 3 twice daily(for the joints)
1 baby aspirin daily for inflamation of joints

Both get Brewers yeast tablets daily for flea control

Food add ins:(not all at the same time)  eggs(now going with raw),sardines,yogurt, green beans, carrots, bananas, apples, chicken & venision

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I think it depends on what food you are feeding.  For me, Canidae has a sufficient enough probiotics and omega fatty acids that I don't necessarily have to give daily additional amounts.  I could probably be convinced otherwise though if someone has a compelling argument for it.

With that being said, I feed all the other stuff in moderation:  eggs, sardines, yogurt, pumpkin, vegetables, fruits, oats, chicken & rice, peanut butter, cheese, etc etc

I used to feed pumpkin daily but now that he's on a food that agrees with him, I find it not necessary.  I don't feed yogurt daily either because he really doesn't have gas problems.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
I don't give any supplements or oils. I do give yogurt nightly, not really for gas but for the bile issue Maddie seems to have. She gets a raw egg once a week and a can of sardines packed in olive oil. I don't mix anything in with her food, she gets these treats alone plus any extras such as peanut butter, cheese, and the occasional cold cuts that fall on the floor or that the kids give her.  :lol:
She also gets a tablespoon of flea free in her water every day as a flea preventative which has vinegar, garlic, citrus and herbs in it and is full of vitamins and anti-oxidents.
That's about it or all I can think of right now!  :)

·
Banned
2,318 Posts
right now sumya is taking 1 packet of fortiflora and i tsp a day of canine enteric support, plus some eye medicine. but she is only on those things because her digestive system was really out of whack, and i could not stop her diarrhea.as for add ins i used to give her a capsule of straight fish oil once a day but found that it gave her diarrhea(shocking, i know) :roll:  . so instead i give her 1 raw egg once a week, and she has been fine with that.i will also give her pumpkin and yogurt occasionally. hope that helped!

·
Registered
780 Posts
Ours get Vit E tablet and a chewable doggie vitamin!  :D

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Lucy and Sam get kibble with 1/4 tsp. of DogZymes Digestive Enhancer at each meal. This is a probiotic and digestive enhancer that Burning River (Jessica) recommended when Lucy had Giardia. It does pretty much the same thing as yogurt but it is in powdered form. Here is a link to their website: http://www.naturesfarmacy.com/

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay, this is what Lola gets:

Pro Plan Sensitive Skin and Stomach Formula

Dry

GUARANTEED ANALYSIS:
Crude Protein (Min) 26.0%
Crude Fat (Min) 16.0%
Crude Fiber (Max) 4.0%
Moisture (Max) 12.0%
Linoleic Acid (Min) 1.4%
Calcium (Ca) (Min) 1.0%
Phosphorus (P) (Min) 0.8%
Zinc (Zn) (Min) 180 mg/kg
Selenium (Se) Min) 0.30 mg/kg
Vitamin A (Min) 15,000 IU/kg
Vitamin E (Min) 460 IU/kg
Ascorbic Acid* (Min) 70 mg/kg
Glucosamine* (Min) 400 ppm
Glutamine* (Min) 1.0%

* Not recognized as an essential nutrient by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profiles

CALORIE CONTENT (CALCULATED):

Metabolizable Energy (ME)
1700 kcal/kg
3740 kcal/lb
419 kkcal/cup

Digestable Energy
1815 kcal/lb
447 kcal/cup

INGREDIENTS:
Salmon, brewers rice, canola meal, oat meal, fish meal (natural source of glucosamine), animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), salmon meal (natural source of glucosamine), pearled barley, brewers dried yeast, animal digest, salt, potassium chloride, Vitamin E supplement, choline chloride, zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), manganese sulfate, niacin, calcium carbonate, Vitamin A supplement, calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, copper sulfate, riboflavin supplement, Vitamin B-12 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, garlic oil, folic acid, Vitamin D-3 supplement, calcium iodate, biotin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), sodium selenite.
D-4449

Wet

GUARANTEED ANALYSIS:
Crude Protein (Min) 7.0%
Crude Fat (Min) 5.0%
Crude Fiber (Max) 1.5%
Moisture (Max) 78.0%
Linoleic Acid (Min) 0.60%

CALORIE CONTENT (CALCULATED): As Fed

1 - 9 of 9 Posts