Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We feed our Mugsy (16 mos old male) only Blackwoods dry with a little IAMS wet 2x per day. We have ruled out food. He vomits only at night and not every night. Usually the consistency of oatmeal but can be whole kibbles. Read about Pyloric Stenosis but since he only vomits at night after going to bed it makes me wonder. Tummy not distended or hard and doesn't hurt. No poop issues either. Otherwise he's fine. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Welcome!
Not sure what it could be, but I do remember others having the same problem and they give a tbsp of plain yogurt to their dogs at bedtime and it worked.
Good luck with Mugsy!

·
Registered
899 Posts
Yep, yoghurt does the trick! Our Lily had that when we first rescued her (vomitting bits of kibble at night) but as soon as we switched her over to RAW, she stopped vomitting. Of course, we added yoghurt to her evening meal just to be sure! :D

·
Registered
7,721 Posts
I would ditto the yogurt. Give about a tablespoon of plain unsweetened lowfat yogurt. I like the Stoneyfield Farms brand because of all the good probiotics in it to help with digestion. :)

·
Registered
259 Posts
Some Boxers tend to get acidy stomachs from long times between dinner and breakfast meals, which can cause vomiting. As has already been said a bit of yogurt or even a cookie before bed can settle the acid build-up and resolve the night time or first thing in the morning vomiting.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am currently having the same problem. Mine has been doing this for a few months on and off. He doesn't vomit normal as one would think. It is hard to explain. He doesn't really work up to the vomiting like normally where you usually have those few ten seconds or so to rush them out the door. It is a quick thing that comes out of nowhere. It's almost is if it is a burp followed by his vomit. Most of the times there isn't enough for it to actually exit his mouth. Other times, where there is enough it is the consistency of oatmeal. I tried the yogurt with no success. I tried increasing his nightly feeding by half a cup to determine if he was just too hungry between feedings, but that has not helped either. My wife suggested that it possibly be acid refulx? Our bulldog was diganosed with that because of vomiting he had, but he gave us the warning signs leading up to the vomiting followed by yellow vomit. Our boxer's symptoms are very different so I am worried what it may be. Has anyone else experienced this before? I am hoping it is nothing serious. All the help is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
I agree with all........... upset bile tummy! Newt does this in the morning, so as soon as I see her trying to eat grass, I give her a biscuit and then she starts eating her food and shes fine :)

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
hmm, the elevator is running but apparently not to the top floor here..friggin yogurt for the ''kibble up''problem and gas??heavens i love this place i just need to read better..pepcid ac>, i would love some more info on that how many people here have used it?? i'm just trying to go through the sticky's and threads to see all the diff ''at home people meds and foods'' that are used for diff problems, thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well I broke down and brought Troy to the vet. I was told that he is actually regurgitating and not vomiting. The vet said since he is not doing the "abdominal thrust" when he vomits, that it is not a stomach problem. The yogurt/pepcid remdies are only for the stomach. He was not vomiting bile or or yellow stuff. Since it was just a "burp" filled with vomit, he determined it to be a problem with his esophagus. There were two conditions he said it could be. The one temporary solution until we get the results of the bloodwork back is to gravity feed him. We put the bowl up high so when he eats, the food gets down to his stomach and not stuck in his esophagus. He said something about hyper thyroidism (?) that could be preventing all his food from passing through his esophagus. The gravity feeding has been somewhat of a hassle, but it has worked the past two night :D So anyone else who may run into the same problem as me, this could be a very good diagnosis for you.

G

·
Tess has been having kind of the same problem lately.... it started a few weeks ago and i thought that it was just because i was bad and gave her a bit of my left overs from dinner and in the middle of the night she threw up and there were whole pieces of what i had given her so i just figured that it was my fault and her stomach just did not agree with the food and then i think it was like 2 days later she threw up in the middle of the night again and there were still a few whole pieces of the food i had given her but then it just kept happening, not every night, just every 3 or 4 days, i dont think that it was from that food now because it was only the first 2 times that i saw it in her vomit, now it seems to almost be a pattern.... one night it will look like mushed up dog food and then the next time it will be yellow bile and so on.... I want to bring her to the vet but I have a feeling that I will just pay $50 for the vet to tell me that she has an upset tummy....

.... I feel like im just repeating what everyone else has said but I just wanted to see if this just sounds the same and yogurt will do the trick or if I should bring her in? Nothing has changed in her life, she eats the same food, at the same times, and the same amount as she has always and her poo is totally normal and she is acting normal as well

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am currently having the same problem. Mine has been doing this for a few months on and off. He doesn't vomit normal as one would think. It is hard to explain. He doesn't really work up to the vomiting like normally where you usually have those few ten seconds or so to rush them out the door. It is a quick thing that comes out of nowhere. It's almost is if it is a burp followed by his vomit. Most of the times there isn't enough for it to actually exit his mouth. Other times, where there is enough it is the consistency of oatmeal. I tried the yogurt with no success. I tried increasing his nightly feeding by half a cup to determine if he was just too hungry between feedings, but that has not helped either. My wife suggested that it possibly be acid refulx? Our bulldog was diganosed with that because of vomiting he had, but he gave us the warning signs leading up to the vomiting followed by yellow vomit. Our boxer's symptoms are very different so I am worried what it may be. Has anyone else experienced this before? I am hoping it is nothing serious. All the help is appreciated.
I have an 18 month old boxer I rescued with same issues fine during the day but about three o’clock in the morning up eating grass and throwing up. I started giving him goats milk the second he wouldn’t wake up and it would stop it but I can’t keep doing that so now I’m giving him a digestive enzymes with his food and also a little something before bed so that his stomach doesn’t empty so early…otherwise he’s healthy happy boy.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have an 18 month old boxer I rescued with same issues fine during the day but about three o’clock in the morning up eating grass and throwing up. I started giving him goats milk the second he wouldn’t wake up and it would stop it but I can’t keep doing that so now I’m giving him a digestive enzymes with his food and also a little something before bed so that his stomach doesn’t empty so early…otherwise he’s healthy happy boy.
Just curious...Did the probiotics work? I suggested them for a co workers pup with great success.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts