Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,
I am new to the forum so hope this works. I brought my beautiful baby boy about 5 weeks ago...he is now 3 months and 1 week old. He has been great health wise up until 2 weeks ago when he caught a cold. I took him to the vet and Dr Stephanie gave him antibiotics for a Upper Respo TRact Infection and I took him back today for his shots and he is much improved.
My problem with him is his vomiting. It is not all the time but when he does it looks like he is choking. I am very vigilant about making sure there is no scraps or little things on the floor.
Tonight he did it again. I fed him his normal amount and then I have him a little potato..mashed...would that be the problem? Should I not give it to him? I really didnt think it would hurt him. He vomited all of the potato and mucous which could be a left over from the chest infection but it scares the he"" out of me when he does this. This happens about every week and only at night. Anyone have suggestions?
I would appreciate any and all suggestions. The dog food that he is on is the same as he started on when he was weaned from his mother.
Thanks  8O

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
It may be the cold or the medicine making him vomit.  If it is, doc can give him something to settle his tummy until he's over his sickness.  We went through that with Henry when he was 13 weeks old.

More recently, when we switched to adult food, had a problem with vomiting again.  We switched food and that made it go away.  To help put some "good" bacteria back in his system, we give him a little plain, lowfat yogurt.  It settles his tummy and helps to get through the meds.  I don't know if you can give it to that young of a pup, though.  I don't think giving mashed potatoe should be a problem, just make sure there is nothing in it.  No butter, milk, salt, pepper, etc.

Good luck with the little feller and keep us updated! :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi everyone,
Thanks for the advice and posts. He has been fine for the last couple of days until this morning. He slept with me at night and then about 7am I let him out and he was able to play in the living room while I got more sleep (night worker). I woke up about 3 hours later and I looked out and he was playful but has vomited about 6 small amounts over the living room. All he had this morning was a cup ful of biscuits. But hes not classicaly sick.....he has a lot of energy as usual. It is like he vomits and then hes fine....not sick anymore. Very strange.
ANyway there is the update. Maybe I will just have one of those dogs that is a vomiter....I am at a loss. Oh and do boxers get reflux? How is that treated? Sometimes I wonder of he has reflux...he can certainly sound like it at times.
And thankgod I didnt get the upgrade in the carpet with all the vomiting in my new house...lol.
Cheers
Juacksmum   :roll:

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
What is your boy vomiting? Food or bile? Yes, boxers can get acid reflux. Maddie will vomit bile every night if I don't give her yogurt. That may be something you can try with your boy. Try giving him a tablespoon of lowfat unsweetened plain yogurt (I like the Stoneyfield Farms brand) and see if that helps your boy. Yogurt is a great digestive, and it will also help will the boxer gas!  :wink:

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Is it possible that he is getting into something when he is playing in the living room unsupervised.  It's generally a bad idea to allow free roam with our breed since they LOVE to get into mischief.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately I cannot put him in a crate or a room ...I have tried everything with this little one. He head butts the gate/door to any room I try to confine him to....I have taken EVERYTHING and put it up high and I vaccuum like every day to make sure there is nothing on the floor.
For some reason he will not be confined.....not sure what that is about...but I will definately get some on the yoghurt...thanks for the advice.
Cheers
Jacksmum

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh and I forgot to answer the question...he is vomiting food...the other night it was all potato with some mucous stuff and then this morning it was all food.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts