Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so my puppy resists going on walks.  He just sits there looking at my like I am an idiot.  So I just wait and wait til he feels like walking.  Its kinda frustrating.  It may take awhile, but he will eventually give in.  He won't walk down my street, but will walk once we round the corner, and he has no problem walking back home.  Is this just cause he is a puppy? And, I have noticed that on the bottom of his paws are like little red scrapes.  Any idea what would be causing this?

·
Registered
316 Posts
Try leaving the leash on all the time for several days so he can get used to it.  i did that with Ginsy and after a few days she didn't even notice the leash too much and walked just fine for me.

Ginsy also got scrapes on her paw pads from climbing the concrete stairs to the front door because she was too small to jump or climb by herself. I also figured that walking on the sidewalk contributed to the abrasions so I started walking her only on the grass for a few days till they healed and carrying her up the steps till she could do it on her own.

Good Luck

·
Registered
316 Posts
Ginsy is 5 months old now.  Her pads are super thick and tough now.  we gor roller blading or bike riding several times a week and she doesn't have any trouble at all with her feet these days.

i think I was told when I brought her home that her walk time should average 5 min per month of age for the first 3- 4 months.

We walk for 30- 45 mins now.

·
Registered
905 Posts
They just need to build callouses on their pads.  A puppy has very soft feet since they're never really outdoors.  Once you start walking them then they'll gradually callous up and get nice and tough.  They'll be like leather soon enough!

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
1stboxer\";p=\"18003 said:
i think I was told when I brought her home that her walk time should average 5 min per month of age for the first 3- 4 months.
That's right about the 5 minutes per month of age, but I follow that for the first 12 months. There should really never be any forced excercise for puppies. Allow them to excercise and burn around the yard and house on their own will, but jogging and things like that are not a good idea.  :wink:

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Puppy paw pads are just like baby bottoms, nice and soft, so yes she needs to build up that callous. As far as getting her to walk, definitely keep them short. I would follow the 5 minute rule til she's a year like Toosie said, boxers are slow growers, believe it or not, it takes time for the bones to fully develop. Make your walks short and fun. Use treats, carry a favorite toy to make it more enjoyable.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Good advice! :wink:   I still only walk her for 20 min at a time other than the rollerblading or bike riding several times a week.  But remember these excursions include 4 small children- so we aren't breaking any land speed records or anything :lol:  and when I say that takes 45 min or so that is mostly due to how long it takes a 3yo to ride her tricycle up the street and back :roll:  

But it gets us all out together as a family and everyone gets some fresh air and exercise.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts