Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I was wondering if anyone could help me out with information about taking puppies outside for walks.  Can I start taking her out right when I get her at 8 weeks?  How long should I walk her?  etc.  TH\hanks!

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Generally it's a good idea to wait until puppy shots are completed at 12 weeks, I think. The guidelines for little pups is 5 minutes per month of age so they don't go for too many walks, can damage the growth plates. Just some play time to get used to the leash until they're a little older. Check the training stickies and new puppy stickies for more.  Welcome to the forum, would love to see pics of your new baby.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
[quote="DonnersMom\";p=\"111234":1qcrzgb6]Generally it's a good idea to wait until puppy shots are completed at 12 weeks, I think. The guidelines for little pups is 5 minutes per month of age so they don't go for too many walks, can damage the growth plates. Just some play time to get used to the leash until they're a little older. Check the training stickies and new puppy stickies for more.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
At first I would just work on basic obedience, but let her drag the lead around, both inside and outside so she gets used to it..It's best as far as walking until all shots are given to just do it on your property, after she has had all her shots, you can walk her, but like was said, keep it 5 minutes for every month of age...Also try and avoid concrete, keep her on sand, grass or dirt...She's a cutie by the way :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts