Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 8week old Boxer puppy isn't motivated by any type of treat. She also doesn't want to walk on a loose leash....she just locks up and won't move. I try to coax her by calling, but she refuses to move. Any suggestions to get her leash trained? Thank you!

·
Registered
979 Posts
Puppies just don't know what to do with a leash this early but it is the time to start. Make sure not to pull on her or scare her of the leash this should be a fun thing in her mind. I have had several dogs that don't care about food at all for motivational purposes. I am sure she likes to play with toys so maybe get one of her toys and play with her a bit and then put it in your pocket and squeak it that will get her attention. The attach the leash and get her to follow you telling her she is a good girl use a high voice and praise her when she does what you want. Don't try to overtrain her keep your "walking session" short at first like 10min. or so she is too young to take off your property anyway until she gets all her shots but its a good time to learn to walk in your backyard. Make training a fun time not fear or punishment time.

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
Well @ 8 weeks a collar and leash are more than likely very new to her. I'd personally start by letting her wear the collar and leash for short periods in the house, just dragging it around. When she starts biting at it, then I'd take it off. When you take her out to walk, engage her, make yourself exciting to her, so she will want to be with you.
You can find lot of training information .
Also
Search his many training videos.

·
Registered
14 Posts
my boxer puppy is 10 weeks now and she was doing the same thing. i use the stop like a tree meathod. like all things boxer puppy related, it takes a super lot of patients. basically anytime and i mean anytime they try to pull you, you stop like a tree and dont move again until they dont pull again. now after about two weeks, she only pulls when we are about 15 feet from the door because she knows when we are almost home or occasionally when she sees some patch of grass/dirt which also usually means she still has to go. you need a ton of patience for this method though be warned. its because your not really going for a walk but more just training her to be ready to go for a walk, you can think of it that way.
almost all the walking videos i saw online like on youtube, they lead the dog with treats, i tried that when i was thinking the tree method was too much work and my puppy walked great at first but she got tired of chasing treats and i got tired of carrying them pretty darn quick too. i would rather just have a normal leash and a normal dog collar and a poop bag on my walks and thats it. no fancy harnesses i gotta buckle to go outside or extra stuff in my hands.

hope that helps

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
Well you might need a longer leash and a slightly different approach?? Using Leash Pressure and a change of direction?? And I am "assuming.' you are using a standard 6 foot leash and flat collar?? And that is fine, but right now that is not working??

You don't fight with a Dog/Puppy, you have to "out think," them?? And the "Girl's," especially I would say. At eight week's she is not fully vaccinated so most likely, you are keeping her at home?? Now that is all well and good but I'm pretty sure she understands that?? That is the "Girl," thing, she understands that also. So "if I act like A-Hole, long enough you will stop and I can do "what I want!" :)

You need to throw her off her game. Get her off "Home Truf! Load her in the car and take her somewhere where other dog's don't go to walk. Usually that means concrete or asphalt surfaces for walking! And in an "unfamiliar environment,' she will most likely want to be closer to you.

And viruses need organic matter to live ie dirt or grass, they don't like hard surfaces. So an office Complex on weekend's or behind a Walmart would be pretty good places. But out and about it would be best to fit her with a Martingale Collar or a Harness as a safety measure! Cuz, she might freak out??

With the harness you would use D Clip's, to attach it to her collar. So if she slip's her collar you still have her! And the Martingale Collar she can't slip out of. As stopping Dog's from slipping collar's is there purpose. Just a thought welcome aboard. :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'll also add that you should try going for short walks at night. My 10week old walks a lot better at night because there are less distractions and I think also because she wants to stay closer to me since she does not know what is out there. Bring a decent flash light with you too just incase.

sidenote: I highly recommend the Olight Warrior Mini. I strap it in my waistband as part of my EDC anyhow.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts