Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just moved across the state for jobs. We moved from a house that was on over an acre of land and we had a beautiful waterfront view. Now we are in an apartment. We have been walking the dogs every night and I noticed just how many people in my complex don't like dogs.  :(

Even though we always get off the sidewalk when someone is walking towards us, they still get off the sidewalk to be further away from Guido :shifty: (he always has to walk in front). Last night I couldn't even count how many people turned around or crossed the street once they saw us.  :?

I can definitely tell the people who love, hate, and are afraid of them just by the look on their face. We've had several people come out of their apartments just to tell us what a good looking dog Guido is.  :) When I was bringing Guido in from going to the bathroom yesterday a lady was coming down the stairs. She looked at Guido and stopped in her tracks. I told her that it was fine and that he won't do anything (he was on a leash). She turned around and RAN up the stairs.

I just find it interesting how a majority of the people act here. :bs?!?!:

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
You are not in the minority on this subject, believe me! All of us have at one time or another encountered that with our babies. Your Guido looks intimidating to people that do not know the differences in breeds, I encountered that a lot when I walked my handsome Buck. I use to joke saying I was going to put a sign on him saying" I am not a Pit Bull, I am a Boxer & proud of it"...Yes, sometimes it makes me angry, but I know my dogs, so if someone else chooses to think that way, well it's their problem not mine..My Samson, by the way commonly gets called a Bulldog....Marq actually feels that Angel is scarier looking than Samson, which I think is kinda odd, but there you go...

Don't let it bother, but....if someone does stop and say something, use the chance to educate, that's the best we can do.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
ditto! we all have gone through similar issue and sadly we will continue to go through them. I love my girls enough though tha ti wouldnt change it for the world. I hope things get better for you, hopefully once you are there for a time the people around you will realize just what great dogs you have!

·
Registered
905 Posts
When we take the dogs out Emmet usually takes Tink and walks in front of Hector and I, and I always get a laugh out of seeing the reaction from people walking towards us.  The vast majority literally SWERVE to avoid them, I think it's hilarious.

When we were in Glendalough at the weekend it was thronged with literally hundreds of Spanish students (Ireland is full of residential English-language summer schools for Spanish & Italian students) and I definitely noticed a HUGE level of fear from them.  Some of the girls were actually screaming when we walked past, which was really starting to get on my nerves as it was freaking the dogs out.  On the way back to car park we passed a couple with a Neapolitan Mastiff and I just said to Emmet "Wait til those girls cop a look at him..."

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I wasn't going to mention it, but our complex has a lot of Indian residents and I noticed that those are the ones that will turn around or run the other way.

A similiar issue with the dogs is that my boyrfriends brother and wife have a 1-year-old daughter. The grandparents babysit their daughter often and they also babysit our dogs often because they have a fenced in backyard to play in and a Doberman to play with (even though she's not much for playing).

I was told a couple of weeks ago that they wouldn't bring their daughter over when they knew that our dogs were there even though they had many times before. We've had Macy for almost 2 years and they never had a problem with her. I know that his brother is not fond of Guido, but Guido doesn't even go near his daughter and he does really well with kids.

I am a little offended about that, not to mention a little hurt. I was looking forward to babysitting now that we live closer, but I doubt they will even ask because of the dogs. I have watched when they arrive at the house and notice that we are there. They get a disgusted look on their face and most of the time the dogs aren't even in the house. I just don't understand it.

·
Registered
186 Posts
aww its sad so many ppl treat boxers liek they are from anothe rplanet fixing to attack them with there horns growing out of there head lol..ppl need to be educated!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Now that truly is sad and shows how ignorant people can be..Those are the ones that I just want to shake some sense into. I also know with some people it won't matter what you say, they will stick to their thoughts and continue on down the road of stupidity... :aua: Can't do much about them...

I always think our babies got it easy, they are oblivious to what Momma & Daddy are fighting for, just as long as they have their food, beds and a human to love, they are happy!

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
I would tell them...
"Excuse me, is there a problem??"
Or
"You know, we are really nice people and my boxers are people friendly. The way you are acting is very rude and I truly think you should go to the local library and read up on animals before you qualify my dogs as being evil or scary." Or something to that affect....

I would have to say something... if it's happening as much as you say it is. Or find a way to show people that they are sweet and lovable. Put bandana's on them... or backpacks... I think that makes them look so sweet... SOMETHING... play outside with them so they can see the kinds of kisses they give or how sweet they are.

I think it's hilarious how people are scared of BIG dogs when the little dogs are the dogs people should be fearing. They may be little but more people get bit by little toy dogs then they do big dogs.

That TICKS ME OFF! :x

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
As a trainer, I agree wholeheartedly with Mastray!!!  People should  be less afraid of big dogs (especially Boxers) whe the psychos of the dog world are the little toy dogs!!!  Most of my bites (and all of the bad ones) have come from small dogs!!!  I also agree with her about saying something to these people.  I have freely admitted that I'm confrontational!  I also don't care if people don't like me!!!  I won't stand for fear in my dog and I won't stand for people being afraid of my dog!!!

Welcome back Mastray!!!  Hope your feeling great!!!

Liz and Lilly

·
Registered
186 Posts
my mom has 5 chiuaha's and those things are mean!! they butcher my ankles all the time!!  harley will actually run from them LOL

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have though about saying something, but since they have never really said anything to us about the dogs I didn't just want to create a problem. Even when we didn't have Guido they were really adamant that Macy keep her distance from their baby. I told them that she just wanted to smell her and then she would leave her alone. Macy rarely even barks so my last concern is that Macy would hurt her in any way. I understand that many people are afraid of Guido because of his size and I even though he looked scary when we first got him, but they watched Guido play with my boyfriends nephew who is 6 years old and all Guido did was stand there and bat the toy around with his paw. He never barked or hurt the boy in any way.

If they ever say anything to us about it, then I will definitely take that opportunity to educate them about boxers. I'm not confrontational so that's part of the reason I haven't brought it up to them already. I just feel like there is tension there now that I know that they openly don't like my babies.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Yeah but their ACTIONS are SAYING plenty... you know? Body "language" is a language... they are saying plenty... I think. Obviously... cuz' how else would you know that they don't like your dogs. I mean all you'd be doing is speaking english instead of body. Just find a nice way to say something... heck... just say "You know, they truly are very nice..." you know like your feelings are hurt... cuz' of course they are. Maybe not everyone but I'm sure SOME ONE would feel bad if you said that. Show them a trick or two that they do... and how you praise them and they just LOVE all over you for it. I just think you truly SHOULD say something... or the tension will ONLY get worse and the dogs can feel that... which may cause a very bad situation... not saying anything against your dogs but some one might actually scare your dog and take their actions the wrong way and then start issues at the apartment complex. Just thoughts...

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
I agree with Mastray, you should say something to clear the air.  It doesn't have to be confrontational but something like.... I get the feeling that you are uncomfortable around my dogs.  I'd like to show you how friendly they are or you know the boxer is know for their friendly manner especially with children ........

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Going back and reading the posts, I guess I said pretty much what Mastray said in her first post.  Where is my mind going  :oops:

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
lol so? no big deal... it's not the same thing... but we are both in agreement that CLEARING the air is the best thing to do.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah, good idea. We don't see them often, but the next time we do I'll have Guido go through his bag of tricks and impress them. I'll definitely let them know how friendly he is and that they don't have anything to worry about.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Yeah i went through the drive-thru window at Wendys again and i know i have had a lot of problems there most of you know. But Lauren and i had the dogs with us because we took them to the lake to go play. I just had to get the Baconator, I love that name for the burger. The girl seen Dante and wouldnt hand me the food. She seen that enormous head come out the window and he is very friendly to everyone i might add. She was like "NO, That is a big bad dog" i told her it was nothing to worry about and just hand me the food. Finally Lauren pulled him from the window and Zeus went to the spot and was watching the girl and she got even more freaked out, I told the girl she just needed to chill out they are nice dogs unless you hit me or Lauren and took my food and left after a couple of minutes. People are to stereotypical. I laugh at the scared people for some things they try to do to avoid my babies.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wow. I can't believe she got the freaked out about it. Even when I go through a drive thru with Guido they usually don't say anything. Many times I am hoping they don't take long because I know he'll start barking. I can't believe she wasn't going to hand you the food!

·
Registered
381 Posts
P.S.  Lola has met several, or most, of my neighbors.  She has actually been inside 3 of my neighbors houses, one not by their choice!!  When it comes to meeting the neighbors I'm all for going out of my way to introduce myself and my dog and let them see how human friendly she is.  When it comes to strangers on the street I don't feel the need.  I might smile and say "oh, she's a friendly boxer" but that'd be about it.  My neighbors (all but one mean old lady across the street and down a few houses) love Lola.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts