Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I am new to the forum.
I have 2 boxers, Walter is 8 years old, and I adopted him a year ago. He is in great shape, and was extremely well trained by his former owner. He's an adorable guy, so much so that it made us want to have second boxer to raise. Walter is 70lbs exactly, and he' nice and tall.
So we just got Valentino, who is 10 weeks old. He seems like he is in perfect health, but was the last one in a large litter. I'm guessing that he was one of the smaller puppies, as he was the last to be adopted, but i'm not sure. He's exactly 10 weeks, and 10 pounds. He's a very lively guy, and seems like he will be a handful, but he also seems very smart and my guess is he won't be hard to train. Although he looks great to my untrained eyes, I'm not sure if he's going to be on the smaller side considering his weight.
The person i got him from had him on a half kibble and half raw diet. I am continuing that routine, as it makes sense to me. But still i'm wondering if 10lbs at 10 weeks is something to be concerned about? thanks everyone, pictures to come.

·
Premium Member
4,569 Posts
Welcome!

Its small but not a concern;he will grow :)

Show us some pics!

·
Registered
240 Posts
I wouldn't be concerned about the weight, at 8 weeks Willow was 9.5lbs and at 12 weeks she was only 14lbs, I think she's on the smaller side too. She's 5 months old now and growing like a weed! I wouldn't be worried, as long as he looks healthy and not too skinny :)

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
Don't worry about his weight now, it will change a lot. Some pups are smaller as they had to compete for food with their litter mates, and often make up for it later. Our guy was about the same weight at that age and was 72 lbs. at one year. He is almost due for his annual so we shall see what he weighs now. Probably too much, lol. He suddenly likes to eat so we cut him back some. Don't want him to get too chunky. Plus its better for their bones as they grow not to be too heavy, bones grow slow so you don't want his body growing a whole lot faster.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts