Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone give me some advice on WHY Ashley is getting up 2-3 times a night to piddle ( she usually goes quite a bit the first time..the rest..a dribble kind of piddle that makes me KNOW she is just doing this to get outside )?? I am SO tired of stumbling to the door to let her out ( I think at 6 months..she CAN hold it, as if I have to go anywhere she never has accidents in her crate for up to 6-7 hours! )
But she litteraly has a potty schedule..1 am..5 am, and 7:30 am ( I sleep till 8 or so..ummm scratch that USED to sleep till 8 or so till this monster woke me early )
I am ready to either holler at her to lay down, or crate her..which would be tough after 6 months of sleeping on her "boxer bed"..
She does NOT have a bladder infection, and some nights she only goes at 5am..which I could deal with..but last night..she went at 1, 3 5, AND 7:30..she is like an alarm clock..and yes..she will piddle a small amount if I don't let her out.
Any ideas....do I yell. and make her lay back down to train her that she doesn't NEED to go out so frequently?? I am at my wits end with this, and have NEVER had a boxer that was so much a pain at night!!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Angel went thru this phase after she was totally housebroken..I felt that she just wanted to go outside(this was before we had the fences up)...She had no problem holding it all nite, so I didn't have that issue, but during the day, sometimes she would want out every 30 minutes....Oh sure she would dribble just a bit, almost like she knew if she didn't I would get upset....No infections, no UTI's, she just had to go out....I was tempted to just ignore her, and did a few times, just to see what would happen, she never had an accident, but me, I just didn't want to take the chance..If I remember correctly after a spay, their bladder muscles sometimes are weaker and can take awhile to recover, Angel had a double whammy a spay and then major surgery to correct her prolapse, so that's why I gave her the benefit of the doubt..She still goes out to pee a lot, but she just likes being outside

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Ours don't go out all night, but boy there are days when I think we should get a revolving door installed :lol: In/out, in/out, in/out! NOT helped at all by the outside cats sitting just outside the  door sunning themselves  8O Have you taken up her water bowl a little earlier in the evening??? Don't have any other suggestions, but hope you get a full nights sleep soon :D

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'm starting to experience this with Spinx.  At 4 months he would sleep through the entire night just fine until about 9 in the morning.  Now he wakes me up around 6 to go out.  If I can successfully coax him into my bed, he'll sleep for another hour and a half, but then wakes me up at 730 to go out.  I'm guessing that its just a natural phase they go through.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Ringer has been going through this phase since I got him at 6 months and he is now 15 months.  I wish I knew the answer.  The one and only time I remember him sleeping at night without waking me up was when my dad gave him a Corona.
You can try all the easy ones:  Lots of exercise, take the food and water away earlier, don't let them sleep too much during the day.

I have found that taking the water away is a double edged sword.  I feel bad for Rudy since he is a good dog and can actually hold it for more than 30 seconds at a time, refuses to potty in the house and sleeps through the night.  If he does have to pee, I may let him out once during the night but that will be it and I will chalk it up to taking the water away too late.  Ringer, on the other hand and during the same night, will wake me up 4 or 5 times and will pee each time while Rudy stands at the door waiting for Ringer to potty once again.  Took the water away at 9pm last night and Ringer woke me at 1, peed and then proceeded to wake me ever 20 minutes until 7 at which point he refused to pee and drank a ton of water.  I have come to realize that Ringer isn't 'just a boxer' as other people put it.  He is incredibly high strung and I am sure that is the product of poor breeding.  

Maybe Ashley is high strung too and all it will take to get a little rest is a drunk dog!

·
Registered
68 Posts
try not to feed her or have her drink any water after , say 6-7 pm that might work... Max is 7 week old puppy and he doesnt get food or drink after 6 pm and he sleeps thru the night  ( except when he is crying a bit i let him sniff my hand and he goes all quiet like a baby , i believe that is separation issue ) and his morning feeding is 7 30.
Also the boxer i had before  this one ( 6 years ago)   never had to go out at night.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I think it can just be a phase. As they get older they want to 'patrol' to see if anything is going on.  They like having a job hehe  However, I think it is harder if they are able to get up and wake you up.  Britney still prefers her crate when she sleeps.

We have changed Britney's food to home cooked and I now have to take her out more often. However, when she goes she goes allot.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Yea we have started having this issues a lot as well.  We have actually had to keep the boys closed in the bedroom at night, becuase Winston the younger one decided it was ok to pee out in the living room in the middle of the night, which is a bad idea. So now we have them in the bedroom with us and they were fine for a while, but all this week it has been bad. Ever since Brannon Surgery on wed. he has been waking up mid night to go out, and so has Winston.  But it could also have to do with the fact that we are switching them to Taste of The Wild, so there systems are going through some changes. But I think I am going to take the advice from this thread and start taking the water up sooner at night.

G

·
0 Posts
My two don't get water after a certain time.  Usually after their dinner they are done for the evening.  Works well for them.  I let them out for one last pee RIGHT before bed and they are good until morning.  They will lay in their "beds" until I say its ok to get up.  I think Binga has a bladder like a tank and Bear is doing SO much better.  He learned so fast about bed time when we moved him into the bedroom.

So that is what I would do.  Take away the water earlier in the evening.  I would try something to keep her from going out so many times.  She may just "THINK" she needs to go out because its routine.  Even if its crating or just telling her no.  I dunno, but she should be able to hold it over 4 hours.  I would be quite frustrated if my 6 month old was doing that to me.  

Hope you can figure something out!

·
Registered
7,902 Posts
Zulu would have to wake up and get out of bed and trust me, that aint gonna happen. Hes such a lazy bones and will sleep all the way through the night and give me attitude for wanting him to go pee before i leave for work :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

But saying that if its a number 2, then he has to go when he has to go, and usually wakes me up by smothering me with boxer kisses all over my face till i wake up, then he shifts his eye balls without moving his head from me to the door over and over as if to say, hey mum get up i cant wait much more :lol:

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, the good news is this really WAS an issue of "patroling" ( she wanted to go play with the cats who tend to make noise in the night. ) I have put a stop to this by shutting her in the bedroom at night with me, and we are down to one potty a night ( ususally about 5'ish)..and straight back to bed. I knew she could hold it, and since being home all day with my "accident recovery" she is getting more exersise to wear herself out.
On the flip side, I feel AWFULL that I shut the door in the cats faces at night..this USED to be their house..poor babies, but its almost like if I leave the door open, they antagonize Ashley, and I really need the sleep more than anything..I HOPE they forgive me :(

·
Registered
7,902 Posts
Poor cats. . .lol. .. im sure that they also like the peace and quiet. :D

Ashley must feel like Queen of the castle. . .lol. . .i think thats a boxers prerogative, and any case she has to be there to look after her mummy :D  :D  :D

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Ah ha, so it was the kitties fault huh? Well at least you figured it out Linda....How are you feeling by the way? Ashley still taking good care of you?

·
Banned
7,576 Posts
Those poor cats just can't catch a break...he he!! Glad you figured out the problem Linda, and hope you're recuperating well.
>:D<

1 - 14 of 14 Posts