Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rocky, who is 15 months old, has had his second wart on his mouth area now, specifically just below his lower lip. The last wart, which was the size of a human pimple on his lower chin, became the size of a dime within a months time. Later got it removed about 2-3 weeks ago by laser. Healed awesome. NOW he's got one on his lip!!!

My question here is...1) Has anybody has any experience with this type of issue(s)? Common in Boxers??
                              2) Is it a sign of something more serious?

Given the whole procedure all said and done was an easy $425.00...Shame on me I didn

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
What color was it???   White wart like growth can grow in and around a dogs mouth, jowels etc.   Puppy esp can get a form of Canine Papoloma virus.  

Hanna had a couple earlier this year.  White, hard, grew up and out.   Took her to the vet and that is what they said.  Said it will heal on her own once immune system builds up, and common in pups.   I then researched it further and started to supplement with echinacea.   Then talked to a breeder who does alot of holstic practice.   I then was told to try pepermint oil on the wart.   I did that, and it went away in 2-3 weeks.    The vet said it could take months.  

So not sure if its the same thing, but thought I would share.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
It sounds to me like canine viral papilloma. It usually starts with one around the mouth then over time (one or two weeks), There will seem to be more. Some even get large and look like cauliflowers

They can be on the lips, gums, chin, the roof of the mouth, the back of the throat, even inside the mouth.

Generally even when biopsy's are done they are not cancerous growths.

With viral papilloma, even though they look bad they will grow & get/look worse for about 30 days from the onset and then go away in another 30 days. That is why 2 months is given as a general rule for them to go away (with no treatment at all).

Dont know about those drops Hanna is talking about, but worth checking out!

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Dont know about those drops Hanna is talking about, but worth checking out!
Peppermint oil, can get it at GNC.  Its just a holitic tactic.    A breeder said to try it since peppermint is a natural antiviral remedy.   I did and it worked great -

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Outstanding, thank you! The current one on the lip is white. The other one was dark and very large...it popped and was a good amount of blood that was produced from it. But the current one is smaller but white. As long as its nothing serious...Just wondering what could of caused it...???

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
The infection is transmitted via contact with the papillomas on an infected dog. The incubation period is 1-2 months. This virus can only be spread among dogs. It is not contagious to other pets or to humans. To become infected, the dog generally needs an immature or low immune system. Beyond this, transmission details are sketchy. It is not known whether the infected dog must actually show visible lesions to be contagious.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm so glad my pup isn't the only one with these warts! At about 12 weeks old she started getting a pimple-ish type spot on her face, and it went away, and then another one came back in a different spot. And this happened about 3 times nd then settled down for a while. Now she has the nastiest cluster of them right under her chin! It's completely freaking me out because it looks painful. Some of them almost look scabby. Does this all sound like the virus you all are experiencing? I'm going to get the peppermint oil today, and I'll report back on how it worked.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
tessie07\";p=\"54780 said:
I'm so glad my pup isn't the only one with these warts! At about 12 weeks old she started getting a pimple-ish type spot on her face, and it went away, and then another one came back in a different spot. And this happened about 3 times nd then settled down for a while. Now she has the nastiest cluster of them right under her chin! It's completely freaking me out because it looks painful. Some of them almost look scabby. Does this all sound like the virus you all are experiencing? I'm going to get the peppermint oil today, and I'll report back on how it worked.

That sounds more like bacteria/acne then this virus....If you use plastic dish for water and food you may want to change and you can also try Oxy Pads on the chin they clear Fiona's pimples right up!!!

·
Registered
663 Posts
Will have to keep my eyes open for these.  Sounds painful for the babies.  All these illnesses make me want to keep mine locked away from other doggies.

·
Registered
15 Posts
tessie eats and drinks out of high stainless steel dog dishes, so i can factor that out. will the oxy be painful? they're starting to go away, but today they're a little scraped up. i think i figured out their scabby appearance though. i originally thought it was part of the problem, but i think the cluster was being rubbed on things, like sticks and leaves outside during play, her bone and rope toys, stuff like that. hmmm...i'm still curious if that peppermint oil is what's making them go away, though. because they're considerably smaller now than when i wrote my last message....

·
Registered
744 Posts
Regardless if the infection is bacterial or viral, peppermint oil will help. The menthol that naturally occurs in peppermint has antiseptic properties. Studies have been done in human medicine about the effectiveness of peppermint oil in treating some types of the herpes virus. I use it frequently on my own cold sores. Without use, a typical cold sore can take a week or more to clear up, as opposed to three days when using peppermint oil. It's also an analgesic and it helps reduce the burning soreness usually associated with cold sores.

Glad to hear that it's helping. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
tessie07\";p=\"54780 said:
That sounds like what my boxer had as a pup. Right after spaying, when her immune system was down, she got mange mites. They made ***** bumps in clusters.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just noticed that our 1 year old, Teagan, has some of these bumps on the insides of her cheeks. She is being a bit picky now with chewing all her food (more like a crumb fiasco on the floor by her bowls now) which makes me think they are bothering her. The vet has said, this will clear up on its own, like most of the above posots on here. But I wanted to try to make life more comfortable for her so anything else to help out would be a plus!

I wanted to ask about the peppermint oil comment.....I assume this is safe for them to ingest being the warts are inside her mouth?? And how often are you to apply it to the warts per day? And just like with a cotton ball, or directly on there from your finger? And like one drop per wart? Sorry for all the questions, but am intrigued by the natural path to cure-aids!

Thx!

·
Banned
888 Posts
My pup had CPV when he was about a year old. He had a HUGE cauliflower wart in the middle of his tongue. I have to say, in his case it took quite a few months to go away!! Then one day *poof*, not even a scar! Basically I didn't do anything to treat it topically, just gave fish oil supplements to boost his young immune system every day. On the other hand, my friend's dog shed hers in like 3 weeks.

Also, I see you live in Paramus, I live in Brooklyn. My vet said she has colleagues in other states that see CPV about 1% of the time, she said she sees it ALL the time. She believes it's because all our dogs are in such close proximity to each other, it must spread really easily (dog parks, doggie daycare, etc..). I think it's fairly transmittable when they are broken out (like herpes or other viral warts), and it's easy to see why an owner might not even know their dog has it. Anyway, I'm not sure if Paramus NJ applies to that, but maybe it sheds some light?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts