Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guess what I get to do all night.....mop up water that's coming into my basement yay :roll: ....every time there's lots of snow on the ground and it gets mild out enough to start melting it always comes into my basement :x every year I go through this and it's getting very irritating:x......lots of fun :roll:

sorry, needed to vent!

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
luvmyboxers\";p=\"81470 said:
Well that just sucks.  There's nothing you can do to prevent the water from coming in?
The water is coming in into the cold storage room, and when we first moved into this place there was a hole in the floor, but we never really knew why it was there, and my dad decided to fill it in with more cement....now we know why the hole was there :roll: I think I'm gonna suggest that we break up the cement he put there and just leave it the way it was..

·
Registered
362 Posts
How large was the hole?  Large enough for a sump pump?  I remember watching an episode of "This Old House" that had the same exact problem but can't recall everything they did to fix it.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Well, this was the perfect thread for me to jump in on...

I've been working on organizing my basement for the past week and honestly, when I finally come upstairs to "the real world" I collapse on the sofa for an hour or two and am totally oblivious to my surroundings.  Did just that a few nights ago and Atticus walked over to the folding screen we use to bar him from the carpeted areas of the house (for now) and pressed his little nose to that screen and was just RAPT about SOMETHING.   I was too damned tired to get up and see what he was looking at.  Luckily, my husband was just heading to bed and also noticed and went to investigate.  Turns out what had Atticus so enrapt was a steady drip of water from the ceiling fixture in our library!  (Which, being nearly deaf, I would never have heard.)

Atticus is now more than my most beloved third child; he's also my little hero.

Now, where can I find a good replacement toilet?

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
We just moved into a house that has a basement that apparently will hold water. Being as i have only  lived in the house for a day...this being my second i dont have much experience, but the people we are renting from said that it just has to be pumped out. I guess this is common in basements? They left us a pump that we keep in the garage so if and when we need to pump it we can.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
48Dodge\";p=\"81490 said:
How large was the hole?  Large enough for a sump pump?  I remember watching an episode of "This Old House" that had the same exact problem but can't recall everything they did to fix it.
I suppose the hole can be made large and deep enough for a sump pump, good idea, thanks :D , and also I suppose that we could put more cement down inside the hole and along the walls of the hole to keep it sealed off from the ground...

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Knock on wood, my basement has never had any water in it.  My sister and brother-in-law have a problem when snow melts or have a lot of rain.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
AnnArtisan\";p=\"81497 said:
Well, this was the perfect thread for me to jump in on...

I've been working on organizing my basement for the past week and honestly, when I finally come upstairs to "the real world" I collapse on the sofa for an hour or two and am totally oblivious to my surroundings.  Did just that a few nights ago and Atticus walked over to the folding screen we use to bar him from the carpeted areas of the house (for now) and pressed his little nose to that screen and was just RAPT about SOMETHING.   I was too damned tired to get up and see what he was looking at.  Luckily, my husband was just heading to bed and also noticed and went to investigate.  Turns out what had Atticus so enrapt was a steady drip of water from the ceiling fixture in our library!  (Which, being nearly deaf, I would never have heard.)

Atticus is now more than my most beloved third child; he's also my little hero.

Now, where can I find a good replacement toilet?
Way to go Atticus, good job boy! :D   you got to love that when they also help out around the house :) .....as for a replacement toilet, you might check out your local plumbing shop for a good used one, as they probably have access to them all the time; my dad got a good used one for our basement at our local plumber shop, cheap to!

·
Registered
362 Posts
Sealing it off is probably just going to make the ground water find another hole.  There's also a good block sealant that keeps water from pushing through.  A pump in the lowest point is most likely going to be your best bet, though.  We're lucky not to have to deal with basements around these parts.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
This exact thing happened to me, and we have a huge basement and water was everywhere! It was soo much work getting all the stuff that was ruined out. We ended up buying a dry/wet vacuum, it worked wonders. We still have to have a dehumidifier down there. Good luck and have fun:p Its a huge bummer, i know how you feel lol.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts