Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so i living near a large lake and would like to training my boxer Harley to swim.  He already likes water and runs through rivers.  But i have heard
its scary for dogs when they first swim and there's no ground underneath them.  Any tip and techniques would be helpful.

·
Registered
761 Posts
A life jacket might help.  Boxers are lean and muscular and don't float well.  Try a life jacket with you helping him and let him get comfortable.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Well I petrified Charlie of water when I tossed him into the pool.  FYI, instincts will not kick in.  Poor guy, I ruined the joy of water for him.  I'd never owned a dog and I was doing what I'd always heard, but it didn't work out.  He didn't even kick, just sank like a boat anchor.  Luckily, Jessica was only a couple of feet from him and she scooped him up.  With Sadie, I took her to the lake, held her in my arms and walked out to where the water was waist deep and gently placed her in the water.  Her feet were going before she hit the water.  She'd swim to shore and loved the water.  Try that approach, we did keep a retractable leash on her because it was a public area.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Cooper is extremely lean but seems to do well swimming in the pool.  It might take some time before he gets comfortable, but hopefully that day will come.  Right now, we're teaching him to swim back to the steps from the middle of the pool.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I know that they can and will swim but if you're not careful the tend to sink.  Cassius has been afraid of water since we got him.  Last weekend we were hiking near a lake and ran into someone with 2 labs.  The labs were playing near the waters edge and were all wet and we didn't think Cassius would ever go in, well the other owner tossed in a stick for his labs and Cassius jumped right in with them.  Of course he got to chest deep and then stood and watched as the lab swam out to the stick and back.  It was a start though.

·
Registered
359 Posts
We taught Jack (my parents boxer, soon to be mine) to swim when our lab was alive...if you know someone with a lab or a golden retriever take your Harley and go to a lake or something and I am sure Harley will follow the lab in.  We took Jack and Lette last weekend, and Lette followed Jack into the Lake, so it worked for us!

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have been taking boudreaux to the lake and this is his first time in the water.  I just walk along the shore and let him get in when he wants to (on a leash).  Starting next week I will start wading with him.  My advice is to take baby steps and let them get used to the water rather than shocking them.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
You need to do it like Jeep Kuntry did with his Sadie, that's how we taught Buck and it worked great...A life jacket wouldn't be a bad thing to have on hand tho, if he is a sinker, some are....

·
Registered
7 Posts
My golden retriever helped my boxer want to swim.  He saw her getting in and out of the pool and wanted in so bad.  So, we got in and slowly started coaxing him into the water.  When he finally started swimming, we soon realized that he did not have enough fat on his body to keep him afloat even though he was paddling like a mofo.  So, we bought him a life jacket.  Now he knows to only get in the pool with his life jacket on.  He gets SOOO excited when we get it out of the closet!  He knows he gets to go swimming.

good luck to you.  If you do it correctly, your boxer will love swimming!  :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Rusty and his people are going to spend two weeks at the beach in a week.  I haven't seen him around a body of water yet.  I really hope he wants to at least run in it when the tide is out.

I hope he doesn't have a problem with the steep stairs to get down to the beach either.
Our Perry (Boxer mix) ran up and down the stairs with ease.  But he couldn't swim, he would only float.  He did like to run in the water when the tide was out though.

·
Registered
7,902 Posts
Well i wouldnt be any help her, my crazy boy just dove in head first from the word go, although i was having a heartattack of course, and he has been a water baby every since :D

·
Registered
324 Posts
Gracie absolutely LOVES to swim -- she can't get enough of it, unfortunately there aren't alot of places near me to take her often...

she learned by going to the river with a few friends whose dogs were good swimmers -- initially she would only run at the edge and get her feet wet, but her desire to "fetch" the toys with them was stronger than her fear of going in the water -- and I also went in and helped coax her out slowly and encouraged her , tossing her floatie toy out farther each time for her to retrieve, etc -- it took a few visits before she actually went in deep enough to truly "swim" and I did help her by holding/supporting her and guiding her around the first couple times --but I didn't do that until she showed me that she was comfortable with the idea of being in the water and not afraid to go in "the deep parts"...after that she was a little dogfish! LOL

Stanley hasn't actually been "swimming" but he's been to the beach and he just ran straight in the surf after Gracie without any thought (not surprising! LOL)

my first boxer, Norton, never liked water unfortunately and NEVER could swim -- he sank like a rock every time we did try to introduce him to the idea...I think with boxers, they either like or don't and can swim or they can't....

I hope Harley turns out to be a swimmer! :)

·
Registered
324 Posts
I hope I added these videos correctly....

Here is a video of Gracie during one of her initial "getting used to the river" visits:

one of her "beginner" swimming experiences (yuck -- that is me in the green swimsuit! don't look! LOL)

and here she is -- an accomplished swimmer!

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
When we taught Otis, it was just a matter of holding onto him and getting him to swim between my husband and I.  We started off just a couple of feet away from each other and just backed up more and more.  
We both had welts from him trying to crawl into our arms, but eventually he got the hang of it and it became one of his FAVORITE things to do.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts