Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So guys I need your help just a bit with input
here...
I have purchased 24.2 lbs of bone in chicken (in a ground up frozen block) it's from mountain dog food (which is made here in Edmonton so that's super awesome.
She weighs 46.2 lbs and is 7.5 months old. What percentage of body weight should I feed her? Would around a lb a day be good?
I also bought kelp to put in because I was told that helps too. I was told I should mix fruits and veggies in does anyone do that??
Right now the block is thawing and I'm "foodsaving" her portions probably tomorrow since it's going to take a while to thaw.
I went with chicken because I read on the beginners guide that that's a good starting point for the first while.
Since its bone in should I be supplementing any bones? Should I buy a few drumsticks from the store to throw in place a few times?
Sorry for so many questions. Just want to make sure I do this right for my baby girl and we finally made the leap. I'm nervous!!!

·
Registered
51 Posts
I feed my pup 5% of his current body weight
I do not put veggies or fruits
80% meat with bone
10% organs
5% liver
5% green tripe (if you can handle the smell if not you need some other probiotic)
Starting with chicken is good

·
Registered
995 Posts
I also get coarse ground meats from My Pet Carnivore. They state the ratio - most of their ground products are 80% muscle meat / 10% bone / 10% organs

I followed the "Beginners Guide" - a sticky in the raw feeding forum here. We are a year into this & he gets a variety of proteins (no fish, though -allergies!) in various forms. Raw bone from chicken & turkey necks or ground product described above. He gets 20% of his ideal weight (70 lbs) per day divided into 2 meals. He is a happy, happy boy.

Find out the ratio of meat/bone/organ in the frozen product you are buying. If it is as above, no need to supplement with additional bone, unless loose stools.

·
Registered
136 Posts
The beginners guide sticky is very helpful! I just did my second haul of raw today and went right back to it to reference it. Some people don't use fruits or veggies, but I incorporate some. The first time I did it, I had cooked squash and spinach and carrots to mix with his food, but this time I left everything but the carrot out. We just had a worm situation so now I've kept a container of shredded raw carrot in the fridge to put with his food, which I plan on continuing (read it helps ward off intestinal parasites).
Also, he is getting 2% of 60 lbs (his ideal weight) so he gets 19 ounces split into two meals daily.
If you have time to read through that entire sticky its very very helpful.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone for the helpful tips :) Seems everyone is pretty well in agreeance which is nice, and it seems there isn't too much you can really do "wrong" so long as the general premise is followed :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts