Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
She has been home for about 20mins now!! We are so glad to finally have her. She has been playing outside the whole time she's been here..she has so much energy! We're trying to tire her out so we can maybe get some sleep tonight :lol:

Anyway...here's some pics of her. There will be many more to come as I have gone camera happy!!!

Question..shes crying quite a bit. Obviously missing her littermates, so do we cuddle her and say its okay or ignore until she stops then cuddle her? It breaks my heart to ignore her, but I have read that this is what you should do so that she doesn't think its okay to wine etc...

Any comments would be appreciated. Oh my goodness this is SO MUCH FUN  :drool:  I have to get back to her hehe

Attachments

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Congratulations -- so glad you have her and all is going well.  Had to go back and add --- she is georgous!

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Adorable....so tiny!  :D

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys  :)

Another question for you...I have some friends coming over tomorrow and they want to know if they could bring their 8 yr old cocker spaniel with them. She is very well tempered, friendly and normally good with other dogs. I'm not sure though, how she is around puppies or if it may be too early for Sadie to meet her? (she's 6 weeks)

The cocker has all of her vaccinations updated and Sadie has had her first set.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Oh what a sweetheart!!! She is adorable....Welcome home Sadie....If I remember correctly, it's advised, until your pup has finished her shots, contact with other animals should be avoided, hence waiting to start obedience classes, walks, etc...Sharon may be able to give you more info on that, but I would say it may not be a good idea

·
Registered
462 Posts
What a beauty...I cuddled Gunner and told him it was ok when he cried...Worked for him..I think its a no no to have the pup around any dog parks or public places until she has all her shots and is at least 9 weeks because if the immune system. If you know FOR SURE your friends dog is up to date on ALL its shots it should be ok...Call your vet to be certain...Good luck with the baby...

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
She is so cute and looks so tiny.  I can see why you are so in love iwth her.

·
Registered
905 Posts
If the other dog is fully vaccinated and up to date, then it is fine for Sadie to be around her.  The advice not to walk an unvaccinated puppy or take it to the park, etc. is because of the chance of coming into contact with an unvaccinated dog (or more importantly, an unvaccinated dog's faeces).  But a fully immunised dog presents no threat to a puppy.

As for the whining, I would only ignore it when she does it at bedtime.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all of the advice guys! I have decided not to have my friends cocker over today. I know she is up to date on vaccinations but so much is new to Sadie right now, I think we'll leave the excitement of meeting another doggy for another day!

As far as the crying goes, she's been better. I think she is getting more comfortable.

We had to get up about 3 times last night to take her to potty. The first time she was crying in her crate, we didn't go to her right away and she went for a pee in her crate :( So after that she cried twice and both times we took her to pee and she did so outside!

I am kind of confused on the subject of leaving them cry in their crate at night, because what if the pup needs to go potty? I don't want her to think crying will get her attention, however I don't want her to have to potty in her crate... :?

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
How much room does she have in the crate?  Are you leaving food and water in the crate at night?  Is it in your bedroom or another room?  

Okay so that was alot of questions.... :D

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
She has enough room to get up and turn around. We moved the divider to make the space smaller at 3am once she went potty in there  8O...

The crate is at the end of our bed, and my BF was putting his hand in to settle her down as she was falling asleep...

No food and water in overnight...should I be keeping that in there for her? And...what about during the day? I have to leave her in for 2hrs when I go out later...

Can you tell I'm an amateur? :lol:

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Congratulations!  Sadie is so cute!
Just speaking from experience with Lola: as far as crying at night, you'll soon be able to tell the difference between the "I have to potty" cry and the "I'm lonley" cry.  Lola woke up about once or twice a night to go the bathroom.  The first few weeks I would put her in her crate to go to bed, then I would lay down next to it until she calmed down, this usually took about 15 minutes or so.  And I kept the crate in the bedroom so if she woke up she could see us.  This lasted until about 3 months, then we moved it to the living room.  I've never left food or water in her crate overnight or when I was going out.  2 hours isn't a long time, she should be fine.
You'll get the hang of it and figure out what works for you!  Just keep asking questions, I sure did when I first got Lola!!  Good luck with everything :D   She's adorable!!

·
Registered
627 Posts
Congrats on bringing her home!!!  She is such a little cutie!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts