Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kota, a 10 month old, neutered, male is a bad boy in my eyes, is having a great time in his eyes. He has pulled his head through his collar a couple of times on walks and goes off running, jumping, hopping, will not come on command, goes deaf, nose still works cause he will come back for treats. I have tightened his collar so he cann't do that any more. But, If he gets off his lead, or gets the chance to get out the front door, he is gone for as long as it takes for him to either smell the treats I am offering or gets tired and comes home. I don't chase him but follow him slowly as I don't want him to get hurt or what ever. He will eventually come to me and I leash him and go home. He is a pretty good boy otherwise, got the house training down, the neutering has helped a lot, chews mostly on his toys, chewing my hands in play has slowed down as I won't play with him unless he goes and gets a toy to play with, jumping on or around people is an issue at home and away but depends on the people. Right now I am trying to address the runner issue and Jumping would be good too. Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks for the advice in advance.

:(  :arrow:  :evil:  :arrow:  :D

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
For the slipping out of the collar--have you tried a harness yet... Sadie can slip out of her collar too and she always pulls when I use one, but we got her a harness and there`s no way she`s getting out of it! And she doesn`t pull as much with it.

·
Registered
405 Posts
martingale collar as suggested...both ours back out of their collars and haven't been able to once with the martingale. Lupine makes ones...they call them comno collars. Love them...they guarantee them, so you just mail it back and they send you a new one if they are ruined or chewed through, etc.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Kota sure is giving you fits, huh Jim? I have a sticky in the training section that Liz helped me with on teaching "recall", which is something that I have been working with Angel on. You might find it helpful..I also would suggest, like everyone else, some type of harness, the martingales are supposed to be quite effective.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Kota can think of new things to do faster than I can come up with ways to fit em. He is just so goofy, light hearted, miscevious, its hard to figure out what to do with him sometimes.  I believe that today we have come to a partial understanding of just who is the leader, but that can change here in just a few minutes. I know I am going to change collars to a harness or the one mentioned above. I was walking him the other day at a walking park and two ladies were walking a dust mop, Kota pulled lose and took off after them. I yelled to let them know he was coming. They started dancing around and yelling and carrying on so Kota thought this was play time. They picked up the dust mop and held it. All the while Kota was doing his best to play with them. I understand there side of it, they didn't know what he was up to, they got mad and called the police. Well, by the time the police got there Kota was leashed and walking nice and being good. So they left with nothing said. When he gets off leash he is just wild, crazy and free, wouldnt hurt anyone, unless you consider having your face licked off "hurt". He will not respond to anything except treats, I found out last night. It all boils down to a total lack of obediance off leash. Very aggrevating to say the least.

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Rocky was like that.  We were working on it, but never got it finished before he passed away.  In fact, that's how he died.  He got away from us along I-45 and ran out into the highway instead of coming when called.  It was horrible to watch.  Even my son saw it.  We were on our way to Oklahoma for Thanksgiving and had stopped to rest.

oy.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That is a terrible story, my deepest sympathy to you and your family for your loss. One I am trying to avoid if possible.

G

·
0 Posts
wow Zhanna, that sucks!

i remember one day I was coming home from work and I saw this man down at the side of the road and he had a huge garbage bag, and I looked closer and he was scooping his pitbull from the road into the bag.  It wasn't my dog, but my heart went out to the man...

·
Registered
207 Posts
THat's my biggest fear for Hoosier. He lends a deaf ear to me calling at the dog park. At home he's fine and comes 98% of the time, even if its a slow walk...and we treat him with chicken for coming. But the dog park....no treat matters only water has worked sometimes. I've tried getting him to come even when its not time to leave, just to get in the habit, but no luck so far. There just isn't anything more important to him than playing. Any tips for help with recall are appreciated by the original poster and me too!

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
I don't know any tips.  Like I said, we never got the chance with Rocky, and Henry is just so good, he does whatever we say, when we say it.  I wish I could be more help.  Everytime I hear someone say they have a runner, my heart sinks, it is sooooo scarey! :(

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
My parents labs have had 6 years of obedience training, since they go when my mom helps to teach them. But there's been a few times where Caribou (the chocolate lab) will catch scent of something, and take off. She's gone across the main road a few times, and doesn't come when called because her nose is too busy finding something to hear them.
Even well trained dogs have their moments I guess.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts