Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well just an update for all the other boxer buddies out there:

Tugboat had his second vet visit yesterday. He has doubled in weight from 6.2lbs to 11.75lbs. We had our first booster shot, and kennel cough treatment. We get our second sential treatment on the 28 of this month. He was not sure about the visit, but once they gave him a treat he was their buddy. 3 weeks and we get our next booster and then we can go to the Boxer Roundup!!!!!

Potty training is going well. He sleeps all night (10pm to 6am) no accidents. He can go up and down stairs too. He no longer has to be carried to outside to potty in the morning (he can hold it till outside). His pottying in the house has slowed down as well. If he has to go and we don't get him he does it in front of the door. (Never barks to go outside).

We have been using positive re-enforcement along with a treat for training. It seamed like he was not getting until one day the light went of in his little boxer head. Potty outside - yummy chicken flavour treat. potty inside = nothing we ignore him.

Tugboat found the stream in the back yard as well. The fish are just toys to try and catch.

I do have a question. How can I get Tugboat to signal (Bark, ring a bell, anything) to go outside? My last dog would bark without and training. Tugboat hardly ever barks (It is a breed thing). Help please.

Thanks

Cameron and Tugboat.

P.S. We are going shopping for a costume this week, so keep a lookout!

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Bell training is wonderful.  Hang a bell at nose level beside the door and every time you go outside potty, ring the bell.  Once Tugboat associates the bell with potty, have him nose the bell or paw it to make it ring.  I prefer nosing even though it doesn't make as much noise.  Tugboat will catch on in no time.  Some of the smarter/mischievous pups abuse the bell just to get outside to bark and whatnot.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Tehehe, we have a bell abuser...hahaha.  We did notice that Abby was a bit scared of the bell after spending a good amount of time trying to get her to ring it...a touch of peanut butter on the interior of the bell and you are golden. Just followup though by going outside immediately.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Both Charlie and Sadie will sit by the door if they need to go out.  If Charlie really needs to got for a #2, he'll hit the door knob with his nose.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Happy to hear Tugboat is doing well with his potty training. Chloe is also a bell abuser and just lately she has started playing tug of war with the bell, if we don't get up the instant she rings it. Bell training is great tho and he will pick it up quick!

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Shoot Reese and Savannah dont signal at all! i just have to remember when i last took them out-double check the time and take them out if it has been a while. We worked on bell but ever since we got the kitten it has been useless since it has become a toy-and neither girl barks!! good luck :)

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Yea for Tugboat! Glad his vet visit went well and he's doing good...As far as barking or whatever to let them out, mine usually stand by the door or Angel will a lot of times, come find me and start staring at me, that's the signal that she needs to go out..Every dog is different...Samson has tremendous bladder control and never needs to go out much, Angel, well we call her Miss Peebody!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts