Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took 11 year old Thor for an annual checkup.

The vet assistant (VA) took Thor back for his blood draw. After about 5 minutes the VA came running out to the lobby and called us back to the exam room, “there has been a complication.”

The vet came in after a few minutes and said that Thor had a seizure and asked if he had ever had seizures before. No. “We’re doing all we can.” Ok. What does that mean? “We’re performing lifesaving procedures.” What? What does that mean? “CPR, oxygen, IV fluids …” He left and returned 10 minutes later - the look on his face said it all. “There is no electrical activity in his heart, how long do you want us to try?”

We were called back to say “good by”. Of course we lost it.

He told us the following over three different conversations over three days:

They had Thor sit for the blood draw. (Difficult because his leg and hip were damaged by surgery at a young age and he could not sit. Curious.)

The VA tried to draw blood from the neck and “missed”. He said they were not successful with the first blood draw. He said immediately after, Thor didn't act or look right. He tensed up and wanted to lay down ( version #2 slumped over). They let him rest.

The vet knelt by him and checked his gums (ok) and then drew blood from his forearm. Thor tensed up again. He stated this was not a classic seizure, i.e. repetitive convulsions. Checking his gums again, they were pale this time. He checked his heart and could not hear it and did not hear any beating after that.

They got him to a table, put oxygen on him and started chest compressions. They started an IV and gave him fluids and medications. He sent the VA out to get us into an exam room. He had another doctor take over chest compressions while he came out to talk to us.

He said that he felt that Thor had a chronic and ongoing heart problem and or other problems, a tumor or other cardiac issue and was probably just hanging by a thread when he came into the office. He did not think stress from going to the vet or the blood draw was what caused his heart to stop. He mentioned that his being tense may have been a result of his heart fluttering or failing just as they were drawing blood.

Thor is gone. I’m lost.

I’m looking for help assessing what may have happened, what I should do, what can I do? I would like to understand.

Thank you.

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
OMG ... I don't have anything to say in the way of answers. Just want to say that is just a sudden and shocking way to lose your dog. I can't even imagine but Boxers do have a lot of chronic conditions and heart issues are some of them.

It's gonna be a rough couple of ... well weeks but stay strong you can get thru this and again I am so sorry for your loss. :(

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
So sorry for your loss. I can't imagine but as Chip said boxers do have several conditions. You were very fortunate to have him 11 years that is a good lifetime for a boxer. So sorry again, yes its a difficult time now, these guys make a lasting impression on our hearts.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Omg... so sorry for your loss. What a painful, shocking way to have it go down, too.

Any way you lose a loved one is going to be hard but to add to it, you have a bunch of unanswered questions...

You have a couple of choices. You can fight the vet clinic, demanding more explanations and answers or, you can concentrate on finding some peace by reliving the great long life and good times you had together. Ultimately, this was a tragic accident. No fault of yours for taking him in for his check-up. Likely no fault of the vet worker, who was likely just as surprised as you are. In those situations of surprise, you're apt to get a bunch of answers because so much was going on in the fast moments they were trying to save him.

It's very sad. I'm really sorry that happened and hope you can move on from it and smile at past memories. (hugs)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You hit the nail on the head - fight or move on. Yes, they probably were confused. I do appreciate your words as they have helped me more than you will know. I do need to move on. Thank you again for the kindness.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Sorry for your loss, what a shock for you and your family. I don't know what else to say here, but I hope that you move on and enjoy your memories - at 11 years I think that you have done well, I was told that Boxers only live for an average of 8 due to all of their inherent conditions.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss. I feel your pain as I loss my little girl March 26th quickly just as you did. She had 2 terrible seizures at home. We went to the ER only to learn they
would continue & she had a brain tumor. That was my last day with her she was 12yrs & 5 months. I was blessed to have her everyday. The pain of her loss is here daily.
Try to remember all the happiness Thor brought you. Pictures and his memory will always be with you and in your heart. They loved us so much and we loved them as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sorry for your loss

:sorry: I know words cannot sooth the pain you are feeling after your loss. The personality of a boxer makes them more like a child than a pet.

·
Registered
132 Posts
So very sorry for you loss. I lost my Edgar almost one year ago. He was 11 and had been through a lot. But he was the best. I miss him everyday. He got sick one day high fever. My mom was visiting he even did his last job welcome and greet company. He collapsed three times that morning.

I agree with others here. I am sure it was chaotic and a shock for VA and vets. So getting a clear answer of what happened may be difficult

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts