Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So glad I found this site!

Four years ago my wife who is a palliative PSW was looking after a woman that was very close to passing due to cancer, she still lived in her home. The woman had a nine year old boxer named Cruiser. My wife fell in love with him right away, she was the only PSW that went to this woman's home that was not afraid of him. Many other PSW's were scared because of his size and looks. He was a giant! The woman was so afraid of what would become of Cruiser after she passed away she was going to have him put down. My wife and I were very upset by this as we saw him as a big beautiful baby. After meeting with the woman and she got to know us she agreed to let us have Cruiser. We were so happy!! We brought him home to meet with our other two dogs, both labby's, he walked into the house and the other dogs were there to greet him. We had not planned it that way as we had closed the door to our hallway so it could be a slow introduction but some how the door was open. Anyway he walked in and was met by the other dogs, they all hit it off right away!! It was like they were saying to him welcome to our pack!!

We loved that big beautiful dog! He was like no other dog we had ever had and my wife and I have had dogs our entire lives. He was so friendly, loved anybody and especially us!

Two and a half years later we had had to put Cruiser down due to cancer. It was such a sad time for my wife and I. We both cried like babies for a long time.

The following post will tell how we dealt with his loss.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Lily!

Like a friend told me, Boxers are like potato chips, you can never have just one!!

We looked for a long time but finally found Lily!! Another brindle. She is now 14 weeks and a real handful but she fits right in. Our one lab who is 11 thinks she is great, they play together all the time! She fills our house with joy!!

Attachments

·
Registered
512 Posts
I am sorry to hear you lost your Cruiser he was a lucky boy your paths crossed and probably in the way things go you were meant to have him and I am sure his previous owner was at peace knowing he would be cared for so that was a wonderful thing all the way around. I grew up with German Shepherds and trained two completely my last one was a search and rescue dog after she passed I ran into a boxer puppy in bad condition I needed a dog and she needed a home well I was HOOKED! I love boxers so much they are like no other dog I have had 6 of them now usually two at a time they are just fun and they are almost human in demeaner. I am glad you decided to get Lily yes she will keep you on your toes for awhile yet! I have a 11/2 year old female and a 9month old male thank good ness he is getting over a lot of the puppy stuff but he still has plenty of it to spare! Congrats on your new girl.

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
Oh PSW?? I had to look it up! They certainly pay more there, than they do here, for that level of care. I'm a PCA, (Personnel Care Assistant) here and in a quick look up, it seems in Canada, PSW's, are allowed to change dressing's! I have only had that be an issue once! But can't really say how I handled it on an open forum ... an admission of guilty as it were. :)

But "WOW" I must say you, your wife and your dogs, are all going to earn "Bonus Point's" at the "Pearly Gates!! As you, "literally," let a "Boxer owner in desperate need ... "RIP!" You can't do better than that!!! So I give a big "Thank You" for all of us for a job well done!

And then only two years and a half with him??? Sigh ... "Welcome to the Heartbreak Breed." Countless members find there way here thru a trail of tear's. Boxer's have a lot of great attributes, but sadly a long life does not seem to be one of them?? But you know still we persist, because (I tend to think, the joy they bring when they are with us, is the heart break, they bring when they fall by the way side on journey thru the life??

Sadly, I can say ... "Been there done that!" It took three times to final do better??? Struddell my second "PB" Boxer ... did manage barely with lot's of effort "DM finally took her" ... make it to the 10 year threshold. Not long enough but par for the course ... I suppose???

So, sorry for your loss and congratulations on your new puppy! You did good and Welcome Aboard! :)

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Awesome you guys took in Cruiser even if it was for only a short time.

Congrats on the new pup!

·
Registered
634 Posts
Welcome! That's wonderful what you did for Cruiser and his owner. It's funny how people who don't know boxers are scared of them- funny that is when you get to know the breed and how goofy and lovable they are.
Congrats on Lily! She's a beauty.

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
Welcome! That's wonderful what you did for Cruiser and his owner. It's funny how people who don't know boxers are scared of them- funny that is when you get to know the breed and how goofy and lovable they are.
Congrats on Lily! She's a beauty.
No doubt ... they did great!

On the lighter note. If you really wanna Confuse the masses??? A "White Boxer" will do it! 33 some odd percent or not ... few have seen them??? Heck Struddell was the only one, I ever saw in real life??? :confused:

But yeah ... I have heard, "they look mean," they are ugly and they look scary???" I have met many over the years and they always looked the same to me. Handsome, people and kid friendly, goofy kinda dog's. :)

I could not even imagine "Scary" but I did see "One" that would scare the crap out of you!! And sigh sure enough ... that was a female??? And Rocky was in no danger but the owners brought her out so I could see her and on leash and safely behind a fence! She "Stared" at Rocky like he was Raw Meat and never made a sound!!! That was a Boxer and owners that needed some serious intervention!!

And I had thought about cropping Struddell's ear's at the time but decided not to. Retrospection it was the right call. Ear crop makes them "Look" kinda Regal. But Struddell was just so friendly/goofy and wiggly, that she could not have pulled "Regal Looking off??" It was a good call.:clap:

·
Registered
634 Posts
No doubt ... they did great!

I could not even imagine "Scary" but I did see "One" that would scare the crap out of you!! And sigh sure enough ... that was a female??? And Rocky was in no danger but the owners brought her out so I could see her and on leash and safely behind a fence! She "Stared" at Rocky like he was Raw Meat and never made a sound!!! That was a Boxer and owners that needed some serious intervention!!

And I had thought about cropping Struddell's ear's at the time but decided not to. Retrospection it was the right call. Ear crop makes them "Look" kinda Regal. But Struddell was just so friendly/goofy and wiggly, that she could not have pulled "Regal Looking off??" It was a good call.:clap:

I like how some of them look with cropped ears, but I could never do it. With knowing how most of the breed is, I have to look at them from a different angle to try to see them as scary. I get that some people are scared of dogs period; and that some can't tell the difference between a boxer and other breeds...but if I don't have one of my guys with me, I'll almost always ask..ok..I'd always ask...if I could pet another boxer.

The only white one that I think I've seen in person is one that is a rescue sanctuary dog. She's a sweetheart. She was used for breeding and the excuse for a human who over-bred her turned her into the shelter when she was having complications with her last litter. She actually died and they were able to bring her back. Her front two legs don't work, but that doesn't stop her from being semi-mobile. Her name is Sugar and her BFF is a blind bulldog named Lilly. Lilly gets gas sometimes....but that's a different story...LOL

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
I like how some of them look with cropped ears, but I could never do it. With knowing how most of the breed is, I have to look at them from a different angle to try to see them as scary. I get that some people are scared of dogs period; and that some can't tell the difference between a boxer and other breeds...but if I don't have one of my guys with me, I'll almost always ask..ok..I'd always ask...if I could pet another boxer.
Oh we all do I'm pretty sure. The only Boxer I saw and I did not ask to pet was the Service Boxer! They were in a hurry anyway (Dog and Owner) but I did have a crap load of questions! :)

The only white one that I think I've seen in person is one that is a rescue sanctuary dog. She's a sweetheart. She was used for breeding and the excuse for a human who over-bred her turned her into the shelter when she was having complications with her last litter. She actually died and they were able to bring her back. Her front two legs don't work, but that doesn't stop her from being semi-mobile. Her name is Sugar and her BFF is a blind bulldog named Lilly. Lilly gets gas sometimes....but that's a different story...LOL
Aww, man that just sucks on so many level's??? But at the least it sounds like she is better off now. And a "Blind Bull Dog??" Are they both together and at a foster????

·
Registered
41 Posts
Very sweet and heartwarming story to read about your experience with Cruiser. As chip said, you guys really did the original owner a solid, letting her have the assurance her fur baby would be cared for. When pups cross the rainbow bridge, they sure leave big paw prints all over our hearts...

Lily looks like a sweet little puppy. 14 weeks is a good spot.

Rocket is 15 weeks and 3 days. He’s wearing a cone of shame :(. A histiocytoma that got biopsied by our now ex-vet got infected :(.

Rocket is doing well tho. The cone slows him down a tiny bit, but he’s already getting better. :)

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
Very sweet and heartwarming story to read about your experience with Cruiser. As chip said, you guys really did the original owner a solid, letting her have the assurance her fur baby would be cared for. When pups cross the rainbow bridge, they sure leave big paw prints all over our hearts...

Lily looks like a sweet little puppy. 14 weeks is a good spot.

Rocket is 15 weeks and 3 days. He’s wearing a cone of shame :(. A histiocytoma that got biopsied by our now ex-vet got infected :(.

Rocket is doing well tho. The cone slows him down a tiny bit, but he’s already getting better. :)
Aw, poor baby, how long does she need to keep that contraption on?? :(

·
Registered
512 Posts
They did a biopsy on a histiocytoma????? My Vet looked at the one my puppy (now almost 2 year old) had on the back of her ear it was a nasty looking thing but he said it would go away on its own and didn't need any treatment. Your poor boy has to wear one of those awful cones now!

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
They did a biopsy on a histiocytoma????? My Vet looked at the one my puppy (now almost 2 year old) had on the back of her ear it was a nasty looking thing but he said it would go away on its own and didn't need any treatment. Your poor boy has to wear one of those awful cones now!
Depends where it is located. My guy had one that kept reopening so they had to remove it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Depending on how long it needs to be on?? They do make inflatable collars. Those would be a lot less obtrusive. [img= class=inlineimg]https://www.boxerforums.com/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif[/img]
I'm a big fan of the inflatable recovery collars as well. Many have a soft (washable) fabric covering and the dogs end up using them as pillows. More importantly, dogs quickly figure out the inflatable collars do not hinder them in any way from drinking water or eating. They also allow better air flow to the ears compared to the plastic ones. They obviously come in various collar sizes, and also come in varying sizes as far as the width or how far they stick out. Squishy bendable boxers will need one that sticks out farther.

·
Registered
82 Posts
You & your wife were Cruisers angels on earth, for sure. What an incredible gift to his previous owner, to give her peace about Cruiser's care.
I am so sorry you lost your handsome Cruiser. It is devastating to lose them.

It is wonderful you opened your home & hearts to another boxer. Congratulations on your beautiful puppy! Such a fun age!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sorry, I did not mean to be a two post person. I ended up in the hospital for a few days, all good now.

Thank you for your kindness concerning Cruiser. Please don't forget that due to that lovely woman we received a beautiful boxer that we loved with all our hearts. It was a amazing gift to be given! Yes we helped her but she also helped us!

The pup Lily, what a active pup! Love it!! I have a few questions about her but will wait till I recover a bit.

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
Aww, man sorry to heard that, so get well soon! And well to late now but had you asked first ... I'm pretty sure the consensus, would have been to get a male! Cuz the females are uh "different??"

The book I read that said that got "vague" beyond that point?? But yeah, LOL it was right! Now that Book, never said why or how, exactly but in my limited experience, I would say that the Males are more interested in what they can do to make you happy?? And the females are more interested, in what you can do to make them happy. Cuz you know, what I want to do seems like much more fun that what you want to do?? :)

So you know that was "different??" So that was, I found a bit different?? And I found that in "Boxer's" I luv the girls!! But there is a "Dark Side??" Soo, if somewhere down the line you wanna get another Boxer?? Get a MALE, not a FEMALE!

Cuz you know "trust me" on this ... you don't want to deal with a "Pissed off Female Boxer!" I managed to trigger, "Female Rage" twice in my Struddell??? And it made a lasting impression! Unusually situation both times. And I dealt with it, and all came at well! But your gonna fine out find uh "anywhere" online!

And most likely ... you'll never that rage?? But if you "foolishly chose" to get another Boxer female, instead of a male ... good luck with that! Just a "heads Up" as it were. :)

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Sorry, I did not mean to be a two post person. I ended up in the hospital for a few days, all good now.

Thank you for your kindness concerning Cruiser. Please don't forget that due to that lovely woman we received a beautiful boxer that we loved with all our hearts. It was a amazing gift to be given! Yes we helped her but she also helped us!

The pup Lily, what a active pup! Love it!! I have a few questions about her but will wait till I recover a bit.
So sorry you had a time at the hospital and hope you recover quickly. Boxers are wonderful . Looking forward to hear more about Lilly and hopefully you can share some photos.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts