Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are leaving in a couple of hours to go and visit with a breeder about adopting a little girl.  I'm trying very hard not to get really excited over the whole thing until I actually meet the breeder and see the puppy (Sophie) in person.  I have checked out his references and he seems like an okay guy.  We'll see when we get there.  Here's a picture he sent of her in the meantime.  Any comments are welcome.  I think she is about 6 to 7 weeks old and he's let other littermates go home already, they've had their first shots.  He will keep her longer if I want (and decide to take her), but just like to hear your thoughts on the matter.  He has an outstanding vet that will continue to follow any of his puppies (ear crops if desired as well), but I don't want to get so excited that I take her away too early.  (I keep saying if... well I'm trying to keep my wits about me instead of my heart).

Attachments

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
she is just precious!!! personally i feel 6-7 weeks is too early for her to come home. i dont think he should have even let the littermates leave yet. please keep us posted on whether or not you are getting her...she is just the cutest

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
OMGGGGGGGG she is so cute. I dont know about taking her early. That is up to you. I got Layla at 7 weeks and she is fine and thriving. And i got Chance at 8 weeks. All personal choice i guess. I am excited for you...let us know what happened the minute you get back

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
She is adorable, I just love her little face.  Let us know what you decide.

·
Registered
948 Posts
WoW! BEAUTIFUL! I got Mia at 6 1/2 weeks.. I'm not totally against it ... I did my OWN research to believe that between 6 and 8 weeks the litter mates and mother don't teach them much especially if they're "beating" on each other.. Just my own personal opinion.. And if she is there by herself, getting her might be better so that Kane can teach her the ropes..

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I got diesel at 6 weeks. I knew it was too early, but excitement kinda ruled me at that point.

between 6-8 weeks is when they learn proper dog to dog interaction, discipline and bite inhibition amongst other things.

So because of that, we're always having trouble with Diesel and our pug. when she has a toy or a bone that he wants, he'll sit in front of her and bark, and jackhammer at her. he doesn't care that she'll growl at him. until she gives up and lets him have it. she's such a pushover now. lol

·
Registered
948 Posts
I believe that older dogs can also influence the "mothering" role.. Mia got like Diesel for a bit and I let the other dogs teach her what she can and cannot do.. Its worked for me so far.. But it all depends on how well you know your current dog in situations like that..

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
I am personally against any puppy leaving to go to a new home anytime before 8 weeks.   I get my dogs from 11-13 weeks because the extra socialization is much needed.  

By getting a dog early they are missing out of a lot of important aspects of their life and still have fear, learning how to play properlly and you will miss out on alot without the proper socialization.  

Also any reputable breeder would NEVER allow pups to go to new homes before 8 weeks, in most states 8 weeks minimum by law.   I know you are excited, as well as think the pups cute,  but if I were in the situation, I would pass or at least get further information with regards to their program, their philosophy, the pedigree of the dog, esp so you can search out the lines and the longevitity.

Do they health test?   What are the Euro lines?  I know a lot of them and would be glad to take a look at the pedigree if you want:)    Just because a dog is pretty, does not mean its healthy!   Also references are just the references.   Be careful and please double check everything.....

***Please note I am not trying to be the wet rag of the forum!    I am just stating my personal opinions here, and know there are a lot of healthy well bred pups that need pet homes.    People are free to do and make their own choices, and I have nothing against it:)    

Good Luck on your decision, and getting another pup.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
At first I was slightly horrified at how young puppies seemed to come home on this site, but just figured everyone knew the breed much more than I did and so it was okay.  There is also the ear cropping issue, if it is suppose to be done at 9 weeks of age (I know there is a range but the experts around here say 9 weeks is best), then I should think puppies wouldn't go home until the ears are done and healed.  That said, when I sold my one litter of afghan hounds they did not leave my home until they were 16 weeks old, I wouldn't have considered anything less and 5 1/2 to 6 months for a prospective show puppy.  An afghan is a much larger dog, all shots were completed before they left me and that's just the way it was done.  So that is why I asked the question about boxers. I don't want any mistakes and yes Kane is there for socialization, but who knows if he would make a good substitute mother.  I am going to go see the facility, see the puppy and then decide whether or not I'm even interested.  Her picture is cute, but it's only one dimentional and I want to see the puppy up close and personal.  I will keep you posted, but I would still respect your opinions and it's good to get all kinds of advice, as I've never seen a puppy I didn't love lol.  As to the pedigree, I will be going over that when I see the breeder.  I haven't done much research on Boxer pedigrees so I'm afraid names won't mean much until I research them myself.  Yes they are health tested, both parents are tested for hips and heart problems, and the puppies have been examined by the vet and while I am there I will stop in and see to what extent they have been tested.  All pups from the previous litter are alive and well with no health problems.  This littler is too young to know for sure how they will turn out.  There is a one year guaranty from health defects so I think it's worth looking into.

·
Registered
948 Posts
The daddy is gorgeous!! too bad I'm soo far away from Utah!!

Mommy looks like Fiona with cropped ears!

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Kate, glad you are going to check things out.   That is good, and please check out every aspect:)    Sniffs and kicking the tires are free, and everyone should do it:)

Only thing about a one year guarantee I will say is that most genetic disorders do not really show up until 2 years.   So I would also ask the breeder, I know you have a one year, what are you willing to do, if something poped up in my dog after the one year has expired?  I am always interested to see if people really keep in touch with their litter homes after because that provides so much information on their lines that they are breeding.     One year is great, but I would want a breeder to stand by what they are producing even if it happens after the guarantee expires.  I am not talking total refund, or replacement pup, because after time you are going to love it, and will do everything for it, but at least be there to help you thru it, maybe cover some cost of testing esp if its an inherited disorder:)

Good Luck:)    Pedigrees are fun, so make sure you have one to look it.   To me, its more of a health guarantee than the one year to see the background of your dog:)

·
Registered
292 Posts
Aw, she's cute. The mom and dad look pretty good too. Keep us posted!

They should let you see the papers on the parents if you ask. That way you can see what their gene testing results were. Our breeder still keeps in contact with us, so I am glad that we got Macy from him.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Aww, she is precious and the sire and dam look great too! I have nothing else to add, just ditto everything hannabanana said!  :)

·
Registered
220 Posts
I also got Maggie at 6 weeks and I had no clue until after I joined this board that that was too early.  But the mom stopped going near the pups.  She wouldn't breastfeed anymore because there was so many of them attacking her nipples LOL.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just leaving now, but I called the breeder to ask a few more questions, it seems that this little girl and two of her brothers were the first ones to be weaned and have not been nursing at all.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts