Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ginger has been eating raw for 4-5 months now and it's been going well. I don't know if I have one issue or several issues happening at the same time.

This all started the 3 nights ago when she vomited in the middle of the night. For supper she had a turkey neck and it's not the first time this has caused her to vomit. Since then she has had very little interest in her food. She will skip her breakfast and if I present it to her at noon she might eat it, or part of it, or she might wait until I try again at supper. For example today she skipped breakfast and ate her pork heart and offal at noon but wouldn't eat the chicken. At supper time I first gave her the chicken, which she ate, and then gave her some beef heart and she ate that too.

However, 3 hours later she gave me that "I'm going to vomit" panic look and headed for the door. I went with her. She did not vomit but she tore into the grass like she desparately needed to eat it to feel better.

As well, tonight I noticed that she has a bit of a light yellowy discharge so maybe UTI or vaginitis? She will be 2 at the end of August.

One of her poos earlier today was soft, but not too bad. The next one was more or less liquid and full of grass.

Again, I don't know if I have more than one issue here and am not quite sure where to start. I'm still not confident with raw.

·
Registered
4,940 Posts
I'm still not confident with raw.
This^^^

I don't want to be harsh but it would most likely be in your dog's best interest, if you stopped, using her to test your skills in raw feeding.

Feed a high quality kibble and give your dog a break, while you further educate yourself on feeding raw.

Find a dog club or Breeders (any dog) that may be in your area and see if you can ask them questions or work with them or for them??

None of us is born knowing everything about dogs! The difference in all of us is our ability to further our understanding in "any" area in which we are weak! :)

·
Registered
982 Posts
My female vomits if i give her to much bone content in her Raw meals she will vomit some bone fragments.. My guess to much bone content she cant break it down so wants to vomit the bones back up. If bones came up in the vomit Cut back a few oz of the bone content in the meal. I only Feed my female 4-8oz bone meals a day. Where my male gets 8-12 oz of bone, different digestive systems..

Also could be she is possibly allergic to the turkey..

·
Registered
771 Posts
I don't agree with Chips comment. I don't think anyone feels extremely comfortable with RAW when they first start. It's a reason why some of us don't - that use kibble - like me. However, the strong ones that research and push through it like you are doing are the ones who gain the most. There is a wealth of knowledge on this site, as well as Kari's knowledge. I urge you to seek her out and to not quit because of this. I hope your girl gets through this and I'm sorry your going through this but I wouldn't give up. I hope someone more knowledgeable on raw can help as well. I'm sorry :/

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I followed the raw guide and have slowly introduced proteins. I haven't introduced anything new recently.

This morning I fed her chicken and only chicken. She ate it without hesitation so I was happy to see that. However, she is still lethargic. Her poo was soft this morning and there was quite a bit of it and she did a bit of bum dragging. I will call the vet this morning as I am concerned about the yellowy discharge.

Thanks for the suggestions and support.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
I have no knowledge on feeding raw, so I'm probably not much help. I think I wold have her checked by her vet just to be sure nothing else is going on since you said she was doing well on this diet and this is a sudden change.
I would do raw I guess if my dog required it but frankly its me who does not like to touch raw meats of any kind. :/

·
Registered
834 Posts
I had the same problem when i started feeding raw.
I stopped buying anything with with an actual bone and switched to ground meat and bone patties from my local pet store.
All that is in the patties are ground chicken meat and ground chicken bone. i thaw it in the fridge overnight and put it in his bowl in the morning. Super simple and easy and no more puking :)

·
Registered
4,940 Posts
I don't agree with Chips comment.
Yes indeed, I can understand why urging caution and understanding what you are doing could be considered "disagreeable!"

Heck, if "everyone" heeded such advise, I would not be able to enjoy watching "Worlds Dumbest" on my down time!:cry_baby:

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
I will add that when Wyatt would eat chicken or turkey legs he would ALWAYS vomit the knuckle part of the bone. This was a few days a week when I first started! I was so frustrated and wanted to quit, but Kari pushed me through and helped me. I have since quit feeding any legs and he throws up maybe once every few months for god knows why! I think you're doing the right thing and taking her to the vet to get checked out. Like you said it could be another issue making her not want to eat/uncomfortable/throw up. Hope all goes well!

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Perhaps grinding the turkey necks will make me feel better. She does ok with the chicken.

And yes Wyatts_Momma, sometimes I also want to quit or even do one meal raw, one meal kibble.

We have an appointment tomorrow afternoon. I'm not going to make any drastic changes or decisions until then and will keep her diet simple and keep an eye on her.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
I just thought of this.... If she is throwing up bone maybe her throat is getting scratched when it comes up and is sore. Would make sense why she won't eat breakfast or lunch but will eat dinner.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
She hasn't thrown up recently. Her appetite is hit and miss. Yesterday she was good. Today she did not eat her breakfast. I will give it to her again at noon and see what she does. She seems very interested in grass, more than normal.

·
Registered
51 Posts
My pup does not always eat all meals. Mostly breakfast that he eats some days and not other days. I just skip it and then he eats his dinner. It goes on for weeks when he does not wants breakfast then weeks that he does. They will eat when they are hungry.
As for vomiting - I do both prey model and pre made I just mix it a bit. I find my young one does not like legs, he does not want to chew on them but chicken or turkey backs he loves. If the do not chew it right it may bother them.

·
Super Moderator
6,972 Posts
This^^^

I don't want to be harsh but it would most likely be in your dog's best interest, if you stopped, using her to test your skills in raw feeding.

Feed a high quality kibble and give your dog a break, while you further educate yourself on feeding raw.

Find a dog club or Breeders (any dog) that may be in your area and see if you can ask them questions or work with them or for them??

None of us is born knowing everything about dogs! The difference in all of us is our ability to further our understanding in "any" area in which we are weak! :)
Good grief Chip...talk about giving horrible advice. There are plenty of members here that can offer support regarding raw feeding.

I just got to chips response and haven't read the rest of the pages but I had to comment. First off I personally find turkey necks, bones to be very bone dense and they are usually the cause of my very seasoned raw feeders vomiting. Instead I choose to purchase ground turkey with bone or I throw them through my grinder.

I find every once in a blue my guys will go through a selective picky stage. We do not cater to our crew. We offer them what we offer them and if they don't eat it within 10 minutes, it gets picked up and placed back in the fridge. This stage doesn't last long.

·
Super Moderator
6,972 Posts
Ok so I got through the rest of this thread.

Can you tell me what an average meal looks like? I'm not a fan of feeding boneless one meal and bone heavy the next like a chicken leg or a turkey neck. You are confusing the digestive system and its producing to much acid.

I like to keep things very much the same. For example this is a rough idea of what and how we feed. On average my girls eat 2lbs a day.

If feeding twice a day.....

AM/PM
4oz ground turkey with bone or ground duck wings
2oz ground green tripe
1oz beef liver
9oz beef hearts/ground 80/20 beef trim/pork hearts/ground pork cheek/lamb

The yellow discharge just sounds like vaginitis

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Kari...thanks for the response. I haven't been on here in a while but here is the info.

Regarding the yellowish discharge, she was given Amoxicillin. It seems to have cleared things up.

Ginger eats 2 lbs per day, 1 at breakfast and 1 at supper.. I've stopped with the turkey necks because they make me uncomfortable so our bone-in is chicken. Every meal consists of chicken legs and/or thighs with a muscle meat which is either beef heart or pork heart. I've learned that she needs some bone to keep her stools firm.

When I started this thread I thought that perhaps there was something wrong with her, but I think it's perhaps a phase she is going through. Perhaps it's the heat. She doesn't always want to eat first thing in the morning but if presented with her breakfast again at noon time, she eats it. I wish she could talk and tell me for certain if she is ok! lol

1 - 18 of 18 Posts