Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be picking up my pup tomorrow morning!! The breeder feeds Blue buffalo puppy (not grain free), also adds in a little blue buffalo canned food and water. My plan is to eventually get the pup onto Fromm large breed puppy. How would you go about transitioning? Should i wean off of the canned food first, then slowly transition from BB to Fromm? How long should i take to get her off the canned supplement?

The breeder said she puts only a couple spoonfuls of the canned food in at each feeding, so its not much. What would you do?

·
Super Moderator
7,050 Posts
Feed your puppy the blue Buffalo for the first month she is with you. This gives her time to settle in. Stop the canned food immediately.....adding toppers like that creates picky eaters.

In a month, buy the food you wish..... personally I would stay away from anything that say puppy on it. Instead feed a grainfree all life stages formula, Fromm has a wonderful lineup to choose from.

Start your switch as follows:

25% new food, mixed with 75% old for 1 week
50% new food, mixed with 50% old for another whole week
75% new food, mixed with 25% old for another whole week
100% new food

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Feed your puppy the blue Buffalo for the first month she is with you. This gives her time to settle in. Stop the canned food immediately.....adding toppers like that creates picky eaters.

In a month, buy the food you wish..... personally I would stay away from anything that say puppy on it. Instead feed a grainfree all life stages formula, Fromm has a wonderful lineup to choose from.

Start your switch as follows:

25% new food, mixed with 75% old for 1 week
50% new food, mixed with 50% old for another whole week
75% new food, mixed with 25% old for another whole week
100% new food
Thanks for the help! I'll buy a 30 lb bag of blue Buffalo and start weaning off of it In a month. I was looking towards the Fromm heartland gold, in that formula they have small or large breed puppy, as well as adult or large breed adult grain free kibble. I know boxers aren't technically considered a large breed, but I think I saw that their large breed is for dogs with adult weights over 50 lbs. so would you recommend the large breed adult or just plain adult version?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update-
I didn't use any canned food from first feeding. I did still water it down some. For the first day and a half or so she didn't eat too much (as expected) but this morning ate most of a 1/2 cup, then just now finished 3/4 of a cup. I'm going to serve her 3/4 cup at dinner and see how she does with that. I also have noticed she's getting more active and drinking more, so I think she's settling in ?
(Just FYI, I was offering 1cup but she wasn't coming close to finishing it, that's why I scaled it back)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Revisiting this from a week ago...we've had her for a week now. She seems to top out at 1/2 cup per meal. Once or twice she has eaten 3/4 cup, but many times hasn't finished the 1/2 cup originally served to her. Is this normal? Should I be worried? I know boxers can be very picky eaters, is that all this is? Btw she'll be 10 weeks tomorrow and weighs around 13 lbs.

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
Pretty normal in my opinion. When our guy was little we offered him 1 cup 3x a day, some days he would eat it all others not and there were times he would just skip a meal. When he did we just picked it up until next meal time. He was especially picky while tee3thing on and off. If I remember one day he skipped all his food. I just kept to the schedule, lol
We worried too but I've always been told dogs won't starve themselves. Of course I'm sure if it went on former than a day and a half I would have been in panic state. LOL. Good luck with your puppy.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pretty normal in my opinion. When our guy was little we offered him 1 cup 3x a day, some days he would eat it all others not and there were times he would just skip a meal. When he did we just picked it up until next meal time. He was especially picky while tee3thing on and off. If I remember one day he skipped all his food. I just kept to the schedule, lol
We worried too but I've always been told dogs won't starve themselves. Of course I'm sure if it went on former than a day and a half I would have been in panic state. LOL. Good luck with your puppy.
Thanks for your help, it definitely makes me feel better! I just know I've seen people say their 9-10 week puppy eats 2-3 cups a day and she's only eating 1.5 cups most days. Makes sense that the teething would affect their appetite. After I posted that she went on to eat 3/4 cup at lunch and 1 cup at dinner...so that's more like it haha. Thanks again!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts