Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, this might be long so I'll apologize for the length first.

Weezer is 8 weeks old now and I know that some of the things that we're dealing with is normal but some things concern me a bit.  Weezer likes to play rough, he pounces around and likes to chase things.  I try to correct him by picking him up for a second and setting him back down with a firm no.  He normally reacts with more nipping, jumping and running.

Well one night my wife was sitting on the floor with our 1 year old and weezer started to bite Emma's (one year old) dress.  Well my wife said NO! and he started to growl.  After the growl, we went at the dress again and my wife say's NO again, this leads to loud barking and more growls.  I know he's a pup but should he be showing these kinds of aggression.

I know he's a pup and he has lots of energy, but it just concerns me.  BTW, he has not growled or barked at me yet.. is this some kind of dominance thing and how could we correct it.  Weezer is crate trained BTW well he stays in a crate (don't know if he likes it).

Thanks again.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I know he's a pup and he has lots of energy, but it just concerns me.
No reason to concern! It is a puppy!

Puppies play like children, but they have no hands to grab, they use
their teeth. Sometimes they play very rough.
And often, puppies like adult boxers have their crazy minutes.

It depends on the way you play with the dog, too.
Tearing games will often lead to aggressive playing.

If it becomes to rough for you, you could go away and ignore the puppy
for a while.  This is the way I react if my boxer Gero wants to play with
me and I don

G

·
0 Posts
Jetta does the same thing, she loves trying to grab onto skirts and pants..we just say no and if she won't stop, pick her up.  Try saying no and giving him something he can bite...it's normal puppy stuff and should get better as he gets older.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess the confirmation is nice, to know that its normal.

Its not really his nipping and biting that concerns me, its really the growling and barking, its like he's upset.

I really try to just ignore him when he gets way to excited, but he just runs after me and tries to get my attention.  The more I ignore him, the more aggressive he gets, that's when I usually just pick him up and put him in his crate.  But when I thin about it, I'm associating his crate with punishment... that probably isn't good either.. hm.. gotta find a new spot.

Puppies are great arent they!

G

·
0 Posts
Think of when pups are playing with each other...you hear lots and lots of growling..its just how they play...you could put them in the kitchen cordoned off..or the bathroom...just make sure you puppyproof the room

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Puppies when playing together do a lot of growling and barking at each other, so it very well could be this is just an extension of it..Regardless, you don't Weezer to make a habit of it...The best thing to do is divert him, give him an acceptable toy to chew, bite, etc...If he starts to bite, sometimes a yelp, like a puppy helps, or say in a stern voice "no, bite"..Under no circumstances should you bite Weezer....He's still a baby, you have to remember that and it takes time, patience and a lot of training time, but he'll come around...As far as using the crate for when he gets out of hand, I'd try to find another way to do a "time out"..You can take his leash, tether him to you, that way he can't roam, or if you can, use a gate to block off a room is another option....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts