Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. Happy New Year! Quick question. My Chato is 8wks, and I've noticed that in the past 2 wks he has lost some fullness. I took him to the vet and they told me that this is normal due to his growing stages. I'm just curious because now I can see somewhat of his ribs when he lies down or when he is eating (his tummy goes in and I can see ribs). Is this normal, as far as "growing phase" and kinda slimming down? He's gained 2lbs over the past two wks. What avg. weight are boxers at the age of 8wks, mine is 13lbs. Thanx for any feedback. Yall have a good one.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Not sure how much help this will be but i just had this discussion with my own vet~well i just took chloe to the vet last friday for a check up and her booster vaccines. She just turned 13 weeks. She is at 23 pounds. I also worried about her weight strictly because i could see more than the last two to three ribs and her tummy was also very small. She has a great muscle development though and no apetite problems. She will eat until she is full then stop, no over indulgence for her  :)  So when the vet checked her out i asked about it because my previous boxers did not do this. My vet said basically the same thing. Right now she is in the process of growing up not out. Most likely Chato will be like my Chloe and he is going to be a tall boy.  Chloe looks great and you can see the muscles in her hind end when she stands on her back legs and in her shoulders plus her coat is nice and shiny. I wouldnt worry about it right now unless you see some of his muscle development decrease or if he should stop eating or his coat gets dull. Sorry but i dont remember off hand how much she weighed at 8 weeks, but i believe she was right at 11-12 pounds. hope this helps

·
Registered
616 Posts
13 lbs sounds about right to me.  It's hard to remember back that far.  Boxers in general are thin (slim).  I read somewhere that 1-2 ribs showing slightly are ok but the hip bones shouldn't stand out too much.  Boxer's waists (area before hips) do indent a little.  It is just their body style.  
When Chato gets a little older, he will go through the gangly stage...all legs and real slim.  Then he will start to fill out a little.  Always remember:  up the first year (growing tall) and out the next (filling in).  Hope this helps!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi Chatito,
your little guy sounds just fine to me.  My Mitch was 15 lbs at 10 weeks and 25 lbs at 14 weeks.  He has been showing ribs all along and I worried too until I found this forum where I learned that the showing of ribs is normal as is the weight gain. Boxers are a naturally skinny breed and actually they are supposed to show some ribs. If they don't show any then they are too fat. Honest!

Good luck with your little guy.  Aren't Boxers fun??  I am totally in love with my Mitch.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
He's just going thru the "growing pains" time Mom..My Buck was always on the slim side even as he got older, you want the indentation at their hips..That's part of the breed standard..Take a look at some champion boxers & you will see that in all of them. He's eating good & just growing fast, which they do..You got to love it...Take lots of pictures, cos you can't bring this time back. I used to shoot a roll a film a week while Buck was growing....

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hello all! This is my very first post. Our Gabi just turned 14 wks and she is about 23 lbs. My vet also confimed we have nothing to worry about with her.

·
Registered
8 Posts
That sounds about right. I wouldn't worry too much about the weight. Just like babies they fluctuate. As long as the puppy seems to be active and eating properly (this means not overeating either) than you should be fine. My boxer was the fatest in the litter, all belly, and than he shot up and was all legs until about 8 months old. You won't really know the real size they are gonna be until around two years old.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts