Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Obesity is an anxious topic for us humans, but in fact our four-legged friends are facing such problems and are getting more and more serious.

Is it possible to solve this thorny problem by relying on weight loss dog food?

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
I think proper exercise and watching the amount of food/treats they get is all you need. If the dog is already overweight then yes I would use a weight loss food or one with low fat. I have not used it but solid gold has one with only 6% fat as opposed to 16% which seems to be the norm in most foods. Also feeding a quality food is helpful not something like ol roy which is just fillers.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Is there a nutritionist who works at a nearby animal hospital? I took my overweight dog to one and it was a huge help. Instead of listening to people on the internet, as much as they want to genuinely help, a professional is a better option.

·
Registered
656 Posts
They do make low calorie dog food and that's one option designating one person in the house to give treats is another I use the small milk bones for my dogs and my husband is the one to give them one twice a day. No table food! You can give your dog a carrot for a treat as well but be careful which vegetables you pick some are toxic or a choking hazard for dogs. Exercise is an important thing as well, just like us they need it to stay physically fit and it helps them with mental stimulation. I hear so many people complaining now that they are tired of being at home and looking at the same four walls but people don't seem to mind doing that to their dogs! They like being out as much as we do

·
Registered
1 Posts
That's so bothersome for me as a four-leg owner. I am always scared that my dog will get fat so I go on walks with his as much as possible. I have been really trying to take care of my dog and to just make sure that he is healthy and full of life. Since he was a little pup I always made sure that he had the best food and the best training. He was my first ever dog and I wanted to make sure that he was well trained. For additional information from other owners and vets I used to read this one dog blog that has been amazing. It has been really useful for me because I was able to feel like I am not a failure. Hope you guys will find it useful as well. My doggo is amazing and very well behaved. I do love him. And he is very very athletic so that's a lot of exercise for me

·
Registered
656 Posts
Walking is a great thing to do for your dog and for you as long as you have a safe place to do so. It also gives some good quality time between dog and owner reinforcing our bonds.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts