Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had a vet once that said some
Dogs can't do grain free because they need the fuel from the grains to keep weight on

I am convinced that by eliminating grain most of her issues have gone away, like the farts and tummy gurgles etc

But now she is having weight problems and I don't know how much more physically talking I can feed her without other complications like WAY too much food in the tummy.....

There is NO winning!!!!!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm really hoping some other home cookers and raw feeders can chime in and tell me how to safely get more weight on her!

Right now she is getting; a rotation of beef, chicken, turkey, as well as beef liver and kidney, beef heart, about 25% veggies and some times I add in a bit of yogurt or cottage cheese, sardines. No eggs... She can't do them.

I leave the meat almost raw, I just put it in a pan on low for about 10 min to take the edge off but it's still pink/red when it comes off

And I give her eggshell for calcium. We don't do bones.

There that is what she gets...

Any other ideas????? :)

·
Registered
907 Posts
What kind of cuts are you feeding for the beef? And how often are you feeding the beef? Chicken and turkey are leaner meats but even 3 pounds a day would cancel that out. Is the 3 pounds meat only or meat plus everything else combined? Has she recently had a worm or thyroid test?

For comparison Duke is a little over 80 pounds at a good weight right now. He alternates between 1.3-2 lbs a day to keep at this weight plus treats. He gains too much weight at 2 pounds if he's not exercised enough.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
The beef cut is Eye of Round or Sirloin Tip and I cut the grissel and main fat chunks off. I used to give her ground beef but she gets really sick eating all that fat.

The chicken and turkey is breast and thigh (boneless)

I give that to her for about 10 days till it runs out then I switch to a new batch of chicken/turkey mix with a tiny bit of beef, it varies in portions each time, then back to beef etc

I give her 75 % meat (with 10% of it being organ) and 25 % veggies and weigh at 20-24 oz per feeding at twice a day (3lbs total) After I weigh that out then I add the yogurt or cottage cheese or sardines etc as an extra

Yes she has had a thyroid test (came back equivocal) and a worm test and that was fine

She is pretty active but I just can't keep it on. I wish mine would maintain weight at the 2% rate...it would be so much more affordable!!!

I was doing a trial of thyroid medicine but took her off that based on a second opinion but if it does no harm giving it maybe I should keep it up?????

I also bought some dehydrated NRG food the other day as well as Digestive Enzymes in hopes that would help bulk her up a bit. I started one of her meals as the NRG today...so nothing yet other than farts...But I would rather feed her fresh food though at every meal and just have it work fine just like it does for every other dog...

·
Registered
833 Posts
More red meats are needed. The red meats will help her put weight on. You do need fat in their diet.

Can I ask why you don't feed bone?

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't feed bone because i am not Comfortable with it and you can feed a healthy natural diet without it by using eggshell so I choose to do it that way. Nothing wrong with that.

How much fat is good before it becomes not good?

Should I just choose a fattier cut?

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
Well obviously SOMETHING is wrong, or rather unbalanced, or she wouldn't be so skinny at 2 1/2 years of age. Way too many ribs and vertebrae visible on her! Could it be the lack of bone in her diet? Maybe. But I think it has more to do with the fact that she's just getting mostly turkey and chicken with a bit of beef in between. I would definitely up her read meat intake and add in some lamb, deer, bison, moose or whatever other red meat you can get your hands on. If you think she is having issues digesting the fat in the beef, I would start off with a little bit and increase it gradually over time but they NEED fat in their diet so you should not be trimming that off.

Good luck. I hope you can get her weight up.

·
Registered
907 Posts
I agree with Karma. Add in more red meat and more fat. Fat is an important part of the diet as it substitutes for carbs for energy burn and keeps on weight. Gristle is good too for joints so I wouldn't cut it out either. Just add in a little bit of fat at a time until she gets the runs. Keep it at that point until her poop stabilizes. If it doesn't add in a tad more eggshell. It's just like introducing organs. Does she tolerate organs ok?

At first I had a hard time with keeping weight on Duke then adding too much weight. It's just a game of balancing the diet to see what your dog needs.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Ok, I have noticed that she gains a bit more when eating red meat.

I switch between turkey/chicken and a bit of beef to all beef, at about 10 days at a time but I guess I should stick with mainly red meat then. I just thought I was supposed to rotate the protein but obviously she needs the red meat then

She handles organs great! Not until I have put her on this diet has she been so "regular" with her poops. Firm, small, proper poo coloured... :)

Now I guess I just gotta find more red meat options. It's hard finding anything but beef here. There is a natural pet food store here that started as a human butcher shop then switched to animals only and they have all kinds of options but I don't know where they are getting this stuff so it's a little sketchy...but lots of people feed it so I guess it's fine

When she was 56 lbs she looked awesome. She has dropped 4 lbs in the last month but we have also been doing more activity lately. So the pictures above are after the 4 lbs came off. She is a smaller dog naturally.

And thank you for not hounding me as to my choice of not feeding bones. There are more than one way to feed a healthy diet, this is my choice. Until I find an affordable grinder that can mince bone she will get eggshell instead.

And she is getting a balanced diet, as mentioned in my post above

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
This is a typical meal for Wyatt: chicken thigh (bone in and skin on) duck neck or ground rabbit and organ meat. That's all in one meal! He also gets about 2 tsp of coconut oil with breakfast. If I don't do that option he will get half a turkey neck.

I don't feed much beef or pork. Maybe if I'm trimming something for dinner I'll give him a little bit. But the rabbit seems to be good for him.

Sent from Petguide.com App

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
There is hypothyroidism which would cause weight gain and is most common in dogs.

However there is also hyperthyroidism which would cause weight loss - not very common in dogs but it does exist.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If my vet did a thyroid panel I assume he would know by that which one she would or would not have?

Our results were equivocal anyway so right now she isn't on meds

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I added chicken thighs with the skin on

I noticed right away the fatty slim on it like I had rubbed butter on my hands

How much skin is she supposed to get a day?

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
I know you said you didn't feed bone, and didn't see anything about pork! After adding a probiotic to ZIGGY's diet, I added pork back (goodbye pork gas)I've also noticed, he will eat the meat with bones (duck necks & wings, turkey necks, pork ribs) "1st"!
Besides the above, I also feed whole duck, rabbit, kangaroo, lamb, whole mackerel, sardines, green tripe, veal and beef.
Have you tried beef hearts? Duck, beef hearts and pork are fatty! If you can handle the smell of green tripe, try it! Dogs love that stinky stuff, and it's good for them!! Just don't feed it inside :) and NEVER in a closed/heated room :( (IT TRUELY SMELLS)

ZIGGY is 20 months & 75lbs, 100% RAW fed! I've noticed that varying his food makes meal time a "Happy Mystery"!!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts