Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i have a new questions about weight for a boxer. As most know i am having a hard time getting weight on Savannah. At first i thought she was putting it on, but then i guess i got happy too soon cause she looks like she lost more weight. Well we went to petsmart last night and i ended up weighing her (they have a scale there for people to use) she is down to 47 pounds!!! she has lost about 10 pounds since she came to us in march. She is eating twice a day, and getting a PB sandwich as an afternoon snack, and she has been checked for worms-that came back negative.  Reese is at 31 pounds (is this normal for 5 months?) so i asked one of the vet techs i worked with at the e-vet if she had any ideas what i could do to get some weight on her. she gave me a recipe that the rescue group she volunteers for uses to help put weight on malnurished dogs that come in. thoughts on this recipe?

10 lbs of cheap hamburger meat
1 lg box Total (tm) cereal1
1 lg box uncooked oatmeal
15 oz jar of wheat germ
10 eggs
10 small pkgs knox unflavored geletin2
1 1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 1/4 cup unflavored molasses
pinch of salt

Pedialyte to drink

1. Mix all ingredients together in large (or larger) bowl.
2. Place in freezer bags, appox 1 lb per bag.
3. Place in freezer, thaw as needed.
4. Feed raw. Just pinch off the amount you want to feed and
roll into a ball. Place on top of regular food.

now this obviously is in larger portions than anything i would do, but i am reaching at this point for ideas.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
That recipe is for something called "Satin Balls" - a web search will bring up lots of info plus some variations on the recipe.  It can put weight on fast, but you want to be a little careful because the high-fat hamburger can trigger bouts of pancreatitis with some dogs.  Many show people use it for dogs that won't eat while on the road.  You could just add some hamburger to her food (again, be aware of the fat levels), or full-fat cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, etc.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Yeah, I was going to suggest high protein items. Like what Newcastle suggested, the eggs, and cottage cheese is a real great source of protein. Good Luck, let us know how she is doing.  :)

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i feel a little better now. As for hamburger we only use the 10%fat 90% lean meat. We tried the eggs but she wont eat them!! she picks around them. . . . silly girl. Will she get addicted to the hamburger if i add the meat to her kibble? Should i only add it in one meal or both? and how do you know how much HB meat to add?? will the weight drop if i stop feeding the meat in the future? sorry for the questions but i was always raised not to feed any human food to dogs-now that i am being told to i am not sure what direction to go.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
If you want to get at least 10 lbs on her, I would put it in every meal. If she is like most of our babies, and I'm sure she is, she will probably get very finiky (sp?) about the food and not want to eat without anything added to it. You could add a couple tablespoons of hamburger to her food. I wouldn't give her too much at first, just enough to mix with her food. I would also try the cottage cheese. I don't know any dog that will turn their nose up to that! Good luck and let us know how she is doing.

·
Registered
405 Posts
No belly problems, right?

Abby was not gaining weight for the longest time...because she had giardia when we got her. Bugs don't always have to show itself in the form of diarhrea... A couple months after the giardia treatment was successful, she finally started gaining weight.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Have you tried different types of dog foods?  Maybe feeding her three times a day to add a little extra food for her.  Raw eggs mixed with the food?  Our dogs love the cooked yolk from boiled eggs.  Peanut butter treats? We have a very easy recipe for peanut butter biscuits that we make with natural PB and whole wheat flour but not sure if she has any allergies.

We have never had a big problem with our dogs losing weight.  Teaki is the only problem and that was because she was just not able to digest most of the foods we tried, she only ate enough to get by.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We have tried switching food, and we finally found one she will eat. the Nutro Natural Small bites. If we try feeding her a third meal it goes untouched so we dont do that. Raw egg she loves but i read we shouldnt do that everyday, but she wont eat a cooked egg. I actually just got a recipe for PB biscuits so i will be making those sometime this week. One more question about the HB meat. Should it be cooked or raw? The Satin Ball Recipe is raw, but i wanted to make sure. I gave Savannah Cottage cheese last night and she devoured her food :) she acted like she wanted more, but with the possibility of vomiting from eating quickly and the new ingredient i didnt want to over feed.  she kept everything down, so i was happy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts