Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i have a new questions about weight for a boxer. As most know i am having a hard time getting weight on Savannah. At first i thought she was putting it on, but then i guess i got happy too soon cause she looks like she lost more weight. Well we went to petsmart last night and i ended up weighing her (they have a scale there for people to use) she is down to 47 pounds!!! she has lost about 10 pounds since she came to us in march. She is eating twice a day, and getting a PB sandwich as an afternoon snack, and she has been checked for worms-that came back negative.  Reese is at 31 pounds (is this normal for 5 months?) so i asked one of the vet techs i worked with at the e-vet if she had any ideas what i could do to get some weight on her. she gave me a recipe that the rescue group she volunteers for uses to help put weight on malnurished dogs that come in. thoughts on this recipe?

10 lbs of cheap hamburger meat
1 lg box Total (tm) cereal1
1 lg box uncooked oatmeal
15 oz jar of wheat germ
10 eggs
10 small pkgs knox unflavored geletin2
1 1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 1/4 cup unflavored molasses
pinch of salt

Pedialyte to drink

1. Mix all ingredients together in large (or larger) bowl.
2. Place in freezer bags, appox 1 lb per bag.
3. Place in freezer, thaw as needed.
4. Feed raw. Just pinch off the amount you want to feed and
roll into a ball. Place on top of regular food.

now this obviously is in larger portions than anything i would do, but i am reaching at this point for ideas.

· Registered
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i feel a little better now. As for hamburger we only use the 10%fat 90% lean meat. We tried the eggs but she wont eat them!! she picks around them. . . . silly girl. Will she get addicted to the hamburger if i add the meat to her kibble? Should i only add it in one meal or both? and how do you know how much HB meat to add?? will the weight drop if i stop feeding the meat in the future? sorry for the questions but i was always raised not to feed any human food to dogs-now that i am being told to i am not sure what direction to go.

· Registered
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We have tried switching food, and we finally found one she will eat. the Nutro Natural Small bites. If we try feeding her a third meal it goes untouched so we dont do that. Raw egg she loves but i read we shouldnt do that everyday, but she wont eat a cooked egg. I actually just got a recipe for PB biscuits so i will be making those sometime this week. One more question about the HB meat. Should it be cooked or raw? The Satin Ball Recipe is raw, but i wanted to make sure. I gave Savannah Cottage cheese last night and she devoured her food :) she acted like she wanted more, but with the possibility of vomiting from eating quickly and the new ingredient i didnt want to over feed.  she kept everything down, so i was happy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.