Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Riddick who is now 11 months not neutered yet breeders request to wait has very odd behavior/aggression I got him when he was 4 months and he has always been a little fearful of new things/strangers but my other dogs have majorly helped with this. He has weird behavior he was completely cuddled up and allowing my younger sister to pet him but when she got up off the couch he started growling at her. Then I had all the dogs in the back of my SUV and my dad got in the back to sit down and he started to growl at him and then proceed to try and bite but as soon as we got out of the car they where best friends and playing. He also growled and jumped at a little kid. He defiantly has less fear when he's with the other dogs meeting strangers. He is very fearful of my moms house and acts very skittish he will growl at her. I'm not sure what the issue is its almost like he is bi polar? Any help would be great I don't want these issues to worsen down the road. I almost wonder if he doesn't like people eye to eye with him or at his eye level unless he really knows them.
Thank you

·
Super Moderator
7,025 Posts
Your puppy has slowly escalated. I remember you posting about fear aggression when he was only 5 months old. You were given a lot of advice including starting the NILF training as well as getting a trainer in to help you stop this bad behaviour. I see nothing has changed and of course he has now escalated his behaviour. It sounds like it's now become a dominance issue.

Your dog is going to bite someone. This isn't a maybe, I am telling you now I guarantee this IS going to happen in the near future.

Get him neutered immediately! You need to start being very strict with him and showing him where his place is. No cuddling or lounging on the furniture. If he travels in a car, it's in a crate where he and your passengers are kept safe from each other. Get yourself a dog trainer. Make him earn his food!

You are about to be put in a horrible situation if you do not address this situation promptly and guess who is going to pay for it?

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I know he was actually doing very well and not having these issues but I feel like it all changed when he started marking things because he has also started to try and pick fights with Rigley my other male/neutered. I will work with more and also neuter him right away I think this has a lot to do with it.

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
Neutering him may help with the aggression, but it will not change learned behaviours. Do not leave him unattended with children. He has shown that he can't be trusted. Definitely start NILF right away and get a trainer involved.

·
Premium Member
4,573 Posts
I am running into a similar situation with Layla; she recently became more dominant, she runs Marshall with lil faint growls and even tried that at me once so far;

She pulls on leash,doesnt listen to commands promptly,always want to lead the way..yesterday she even jumped on somebody that stopped and baby-talked to her!

No biting but she make her weight felt (she is a big girl,estimate her weight at about 75-80)

As I pulled her away Marshall was laying flat on his side..he is a big *****,so bottom of the pecking order, Layla made sure of that it seems.But she has yet to fully understand that I am at the top,she claim my TV seat,my bed...she destroys everything she can lay her paws on;she also demand everything...missus is hungry or feel she didnt had enough,she tries to reel me in to the food box.

I started to retrain her a couple weeks ago but she is hard-headed...she will break,I'm worst then her :p

So far I dont allow her to lead,she is off the chair/couch/bed (but quickly get back on as soon as I got my back turned,no respect)

Its been roughly 8 months since I got the pair of trouble-makers and we had our ups and downs but getting stranded in house because of bad weather (and them being unable to cope with the cold AT ALL) didnt helped;they regressed.

In a nutshell,bad habits add-up and in their case,a life-long list of bad habits and apparently no training AT ALL has its toll.

Never give up,some take longer then others to come around

·
Registered
18 Posts
I would DEFINITELY get a trainer involved asap to put a halt to this behavior. Our boy who is now 11 months was also experiencing dominance and aggression issues and was super worried all the time about his environment. He is incredibly friendly and super goofy but he was constantly worried about new people, new environment, etc. He also started challenging us when we needed to redirect his attention - for example, he would see a dog, wanted to run full speed ahead to say hi, and would get so ANGRY when we would stop the behavior - triggering an angry response and begin to be aggressive. So we had to help him build the necessary skills to feel confident in any situation and to trust his alpha humans to take care of anything and everything. Ultimately, building a bond and trust that he is always safe around us and he NEEDS to listen to us at all times. Brody has been in training since 12wks of age. Group lessons, private in home lessons, and day training with his trainer on walks (has totally helped with coping in new environments). I would recommend a behaviorist because you will learn a lot about your pup and the way he is trying to communicate. Our boy is also incredibly stubborn and fresh so we have a "nothing is free" policy. Literally - nothing is free. He must willing sit, down, stay, etc. if he wants to lay on the couch, eat his food, go outside... healthy discipline + lots of love is necessary for these guys!

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update I have been working with Riddick doing the NILIF and also learning the command touch and he has been doing very well. We went out for a walk the other night for the first time and their was some kids on bikes riding down the street with their dad and he did really well no growling at all and he didn't seem scared. He is also getting neutered on Monday.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts