Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Blue went for his comprehensive exam yesterday.  Now when my husband went to pick him up they said his anal glads were rock hard, and needed to be cleansed.  So he payed the extra money to have them release everything in there.  Is there something we can do to prevent this from happening again, or is this something normal that we will need to take him in for every couple of months?  I had never heard of this before, so I'm not sure what to do....

·
Registered
7,757 Posts

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Well, gee I learned something about poop tonite!   8O  I knew about the squishing of liquid on the poop, Maddie does that on every poop, but I didn't know it was for a scent. I just thoought that was expressing the glands. I didn't really know there was a reason behind it. Interesting....I think. :bigrazz:  Thanks Sharon!  :wink:

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
i didnt know that either..whoo hoo learned something today..ty sharon :)

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Yep.....interesting info!  Also jacking Blue's thread a little but....for your cat owners.  Cat's also have anal glands and they use them in the same fashion. However it is not their scent gland as it is with a dog.  A cat's scent gland is actually on the side of the head between the ear and the eye.

So when your cat comes and "loves" on you rubbing it's little head against your leg and then goes and show's the same "love" to the end table and the corner of the couch.  What actually has happened is they have just scented you because you belong to them :)

Now....are'nt you glad a dog does not scent you with his anal sack juice because he loves you so much???  :lol:

·
Registered
152 Posts
HoosiersDaddy\";p=\"45024 said:
Ohhhh...that's what that last little "blip" is about!
Wow...I learned something today too...and I didn't realize what they were talking about until I read your post...but I totally know what is going on now.  Ares does it too.  I figured it was like some liquid dogs had in their colons to help 'lubricate' or something.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Well I have gotten my education for the day now... :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts