Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The weather has gotten really bad.  Rain, sleet, freezing weather.  The babies just don't want to go out to potty... I take them and they won't go.... Soon as we come back in they are going on the floor.  Plus they aren't staying very clean right now, so..... I got 2 pet taxis.........  They won't stay in seperate ones, but they are staying in the one together.. Very little whimpering and when they start to whimper I let them out side to potty.  They are staying in at night and when I am trying to work because I cannot keep an eye on them while I do my charting.  They are actually doing well in it and don't seem to be miserable.... I was surprised.  I just can't have them in the bed all muddy.  Hubby would kill me... Anyway.  I said I would never ever put them in a crate, but now I understand the need to.  So.. I'm eating my words. LOL..

The babies are still doing well.  Laila did vomit 4 times after her bath today.  They hate the new dog food.  I have no idea what I am going to get next.  It's driving me nuts.  Still doing lots of research.  

Laila did the cutest thing today.  I was playing peekaboo with my nephew who will be 3 on Christmas Eve when all of a sudden he says "Aunt Suzie, I'm gonna play with Laila now." I said okay, looked over, Laila was laying down with her paws over her eyes.. Austin says Peekaboo, and she looked out, then covered them back up. They did this over and over for about 10 minutes and then they both got tired of it.  It was just the cutest thing and I have no idea how or why she started doing it.  She just saw us and started, it's not like we taught her how.. It's crazy.  I've never heard of a dog that played peekaboo...

Bo was asleep during the whole thing.  He is getting soooo big.  I am just amazed daily by how much they are growing...  I promise I will get some more pictures soon.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Aww dont feel bad i have to use a crate with haven to. She hates it. I would love to see laila play peekaboo lol!!!

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Having a crate is a great thing and when they enjoy it, it makes life even better....Fiona can be told "go to bed" and she runs and gets in her crate.  We seldom use it at the house anymore unless she will be left alone for a longer period of time (more then 30 minutes) but just like this past weekend she went out of town with us to a hotel and if you are not in the room they have to be in a crate and she did great......

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
I honestly couldn't trust my furbabies... well maybe Odin... Kyrie is a bad influence though. He dislikes the crate. We have to walk him by his collar to put him in every time. If he thinks we're going to put him up he goes to the back door... as if to say "Couldn't you just leave me outside!???" LOL KYRIE on the other hand... surprisingly... you tell to "go to bed" and off into the crate she runs... or if she see's us start walking Odin by his collar then she beats us to it.

That's wonderful your babies are doing so well with it. At this VERY moment... I'm trying to figure out how to feed the dogs and HOW to put them out to go potty without them getting soaking wet and muddy. It's poured all night and is still raining... I've tried the garage before but it never seems to work... guess I'll try again. :roll:

Good luck!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Crating is not a bad thing! Don't think that means you failed or are bad or anything...I don't use mine except for when I leave the house as I still don't trust Angel and she goes right in as long as I have a treat, no fuss, no complaints....Crating them together may be a help as well, they have company and also keeps them out of mishief.....

Sorry to hear the new food isn't working, that is so frustrating....

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Oh yes, don't feel bad!! Sadie loves her crate, because that means she gets a kong!! As long as you make sure its only used as a positive thing, you should have no problems at all. We have to use our crate during the day, for short periods while we're at work and Sadie is fine with it. Good luck, and I'm sorry about the food too...been there.

G

·
0 Posts
I use crate on baby and she loves it..so do I!!! it saves a lot of chassing her and the cats and fustration...and baby is the same if I say ok time for bed she runs into her crate sits and waits for her treat wether it be a bone or just a belly rub its all good to her...so don't feel bad if they like it then why not..I don't like liver and oinoins but my kids love it so I feed it to them kinda the same thing.

G

·
0 Posts
We use a crate with Bo and Jetta...Bo gets 2/3, Jetta 1/3...if either grow much we will be getting a second one (jetta is a slow grower though...so it's working for the time being)...Bo doesn't go in there voluntarily...and Jetta won't go on command, but if i take Bo by the collar and tell him go to bed...Jetta follows and goes into her side...she hated it at first, but she is used to it now...thankfully...now we only put them in there if we are leaving or if I can't take their energy while I'm studying

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
We use the crate with Ty everyday.  He has never had a problem with it, he goes right in, we give him a treat, and he is quiet until we take him out.  I think we lucked out, because he is sooooo good in his crate.  Never a cry or whine!

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all of the support.  Only got up twice in the night for potty breaks... YEAH!!!!!  

Laila won't play peekaboo with me at all.... Maybe it was a coincidence???  I don't know... Maybe she will only do it with my nephew.  Next time will definitely get pictures or video..

Bo threw up tonight.  Laila is fine.  It is so strange... They are like alternating days or something... Have to buy new dog food tomorrow.  Hubby is convinced that this expensive food is to rich for them.  I want Merrick and think that I will be buying 5 lbs tomorrow to see if they do well with it.  My choices as of now are Merrick, Royal Canin, Chicken Soup.... Any input on these three?

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Suzanne, I have had mine on Chicken Soup for a few months with no problems. A lot of times the  better foods are just too rich for their bellies..Awhile back I was convinced that mine had to be on Blue and I switched with disastrous results, even iron gut Samson had the runs 8O ..They just couldn't handle it, so back to searching, in the interim I had them on Nutro, and they did quite well on it, but I am real happy with the Chicken Soup. Now that doesn't mean it is the perfect food, every dog reacts differently, so what works for mine, may not be the answer. I guess what I'm trying to get at is, don't get so hung up on a name that you lose focus of other options...

G

·
0 Posts
reading the ingredients of chicken soup it reminds me a lot of premium edge...which my dogs handled, but didn't like very much...I'm guessing it isn't as rich as some of the others...

I would try Merrick if it's available, but try maybe the wilderness blend which would give them some new protein sources that they haven't had before...

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Duke goes in his crate fine.  We have tried to leave him out, just in one room.  I even cleared it out.  Left the crates in there and a tv (on a stand) and put a baby gate up infront of the closet.  He tore apart Tabs bed, broke the baby gate and tore all my dresses out of the closet (luckly he didn't chew them up).  It was a mess.  They are fine out at night and when we are home but not when we are gone.  So in the crate they go.  Tabs we can leave out all the time and she is fine but I make her crate up when we leave because I don't want to make Duke jealous.  So they are in their crates.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts