Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jake had his ear crop done today and the doctor that I always see and the reason I travel so far to go to this vet office was not in.I knew that he was not doing the crop but I figured if he trusts this woman then so should I.Well I asked him at the consultation about ACE and he said he knew about the Boxer issues with Ace.Well aparently this other doctor does not because I was just going over the vet bill and she gave it to him.I just called and made them put it on his file.This stupid b*tch comments back and says that there is no problem with ACE and boxers.I will definately be talking to the normal vet and her when I go back on Saturday.Sorry if this doesnt make any sense but I am a little pissed off right now

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
makes perfect sense and id definately complain to the reg vet. Im sorry that you had this bad experience. How is Jake doing after his crop?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
he acts like nothing is even different.If you couldnt see his ears you would not even know he had them done.They look great and I think they will stand very nicely.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
im glad at least it was a good crop, does not excuse her screwing up with the ACE but a bad crop job would have just pushed me over the edge. Glad he is doing well, try and post pictures once his ears are able to stand.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
OOOHHH I'd be passed pissed!!! PLEASE make sure to get a copy of the ACE warning to her and maybe save another boxer a tragedy. Also, your regular vet needs to be aware that somehow she musta missed class the day they were discussing ACE.Thank Goodness he's ok.

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
oh is be heated !!!! that vet needs to know that not only did she miss that part about the ace but had the nerve to comment that its not an issue !!
ITS YOUR DOG AND YOUR CHOICE...YOU CHOSE TO MAKE SURE THERE WASNT AN ISSUE AND SHE DISREGUARDED THAT...

IM VERY GLAD HES OK..:):)CANT WAIT FOR PICS

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
To blatently ignore something like that is no laughing matter....I would definitely give your regular vet a piece of your mind and also the other vet needs a copy of the ACE warning stapled to her forehead.....I am so sorry that it happened. Glad that Jake is ok tho..Look forward to seeing how his ears turned out....

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
He is doing great luckily.If something was going to happen from the ace it would have already happened,right?He is doing really good at not scratching at his ears and only shakes his head a little bit.I think they are going to stand great once they are taped.I did not want the long crop since I wont be showing him and I didnt want the short pit crop either.So the length turned out the perfect length for what I wanted.Thanks for the concern from everyone and I will post pics soon.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
jjtac\";p=\"49939 said:
He is doing great luckily.If something was going to happen from the ace it would have already happened,right?.
Yes it would have happened at the time of surgery.  Glad things are well and regardless of what anyone believes if you ask for no ace there should have been no ace period....

If the vet wants info from more of a "medical standpoint"  Print this and take it:

From the Encyclopedia of Canine Veterinary Medical Information  

Acepromazine

Acepromazine is one of the most commonly used tranquilizers in veterinary medicine. It is a phenothiazine compound. Its mode of action is only partially understood but it involves blockage of dopamine nerve receptors in the brain. It causes tranquilization and also has an anti-emetic effect. This makes it especially useful for treating car sickness, since that is often a combination of fear and motion sickness in dogs.

The recommended dosage for acepromazine is 0.25mg to 1mg per pound of body weight. In most cases it is not necessary to use the higher dosages. That is not true for use in trying to control fear based aggression. Acepromazine is considered to be very safe. The average toxic dose is significantly higher than the recommended dosage (at least 20 times the dose). Despite this, acepromazine does have some significant effects that must be considered. It can cause hypotension (lowering of blood pressure). This effect may be exaggerated in Boxers and there have been anecdotal reports of death of Boxers after the use of acepromazine. In addition, acepromazine seems to make it easier for dogs with seizure disorders to have a seizure.

Maybe I could say in their defense that yes Ace has been and still is used on boxers  and has been for a very long time and the side effect is not very common and it will not affect every dog (or boxer) the saeme way.

But, knowing it is there....even a little risk....I say why even take the chance......I would be upset too!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts