Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We made steaks for dinner tonight...and yes, I gave Lette her first steak in my household with a bone...it took her a little less than 30 minutes to eat the entire steak plus bone lol...hopefully that will help gain a pound maybe lol....but she loved it...She is still having anxiety of not knowing if this is her forever home...so I tend to spoil her a little bit.  but i think she deserves it.  I have been running about 5 miles a day...and then taking her for 4 mile walks to get her so warn out while I am out working or running errands lol...Is it bad to give her a steak every now and then??????  Just wondering???

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Some boxers have delicate digestive systems (causes diahrea), so be careful giving "people food" - hopefully, your dog has a cast iron stomach.  Our boxer, Duke, seems to be able to handle very small amounts of people food (we let him lick our plates before putting them in the dishwasher; we also let him have leftover vegetables, other than starches).  Meat bones can splinter inside them, causing a nasty trip to the vet as a consequence.  Defininitely, do NOT give any chicken bones.  Even a knuckle bone (soup bone with marrow) can cause damage.  Chewing on one chipped one of my lab, Chipper's, front canine teeth, causing it to die.  He still has that tooth, although it's grey in color.  The vet says it's fine as long as it's not loose or causing him pain.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
i would stay away from the bones, as stated they can splinter and cause issues. I give meat on a very rare occasion. There are times when i would grill a chicken breast w/o seasoning and let the girls share or i would cook hamburger...once again no seasoning...and give it. that usually is a speacial treat. If you are looking for weight to be added my best suggestions are pb sandwhiches as an afternoon snack, and adding maybe yogurt or cottage cheese once a day to the food. that is what we did with savannah to pack a few pounds on her.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I agree with the others, try and stay away from bones we had a keeshond about 10 years ago that got in the trash and chewed up some bones, he ended up getting a bacterial virus that ended up killing him about a week later.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Cooked bone are a no-no.  Best thing IMO would be a nice meaty marrow bone.  Also cooked steak can contain some of its grease which in return can lead to runs and what not.   If you want a nice treat boil up some chicken - its lean and healthy!    I Love feeding beef heart cubes, but can gross some people out!!!

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk lol...no more steak for her...or bones...lol...I do make her chicken with no seasoning once a week...I am going to give her a pb sandwich for a snack though...do you see how much I can learn on this site...She (and every other boxer in the world) has this look that makes me just wanna say yes, you can have that lol...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts