Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Both my babies are on Wellness dog food, although it is a great food with wonderful ingredients, they seem to have formed but loose stools on it. Some one has recommended Wellness core instead, this is a grainless food. I was wondering if anyone has tried it. Ekim is on weight management and he needs a food that is low in fat, as he did have a higher fat content in his last bloodwork, he is also a little overweight. He did lose 8 lbs so far. Delila has not liked any food besides the wellness. she is on the skinny side, but she is eating so much better since we switched to wellness. If they continue to have soft stools I will need to switch to anotheer food, anyone have any suggestions that will solve my cubby boy and picky, skinny girls delimma?

·
Registered
744 Posts
Re: Wellness vs Wellness Core

I did (I primarily feed raw, but was looking for something more convenient for traveling or boarding.) but it didn't work for us. I found that I had to feed SO much just to keep weight on them. In fact, they went through the 38 lb bag of CORE in 2 weeks!! I just can't afford $60.00 every two weeks for dog food.

Just my experiences, but every dog is different.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info, I was reading up on various dog foods and I noticed that Canidae has a low fat, weight management food that would work for Ekim, and chicken and rice for Delila. It is not rated as high as Wellness Core ,( WC is a star 6 and Canidae is a 5 ), I am at a loss, anyone else here feed canidae?

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I feed Canidae, as do a lot of people on here.  I am very pleased with it.  It is still a good quality food, and it is cheaper than Wellness.  No more tear stains, soft coats, nice stools.  Although it took Felix a while for his stool to firm up, he was also sick when I got him.
I do feed some raw meals (turkey necks and game hens) and add raw egg and sardines to their diet, so this may help too ;)
Also I believe Core's protein content is too high for a puppy.  Puppies supposedly should have less than 25-26% protein.
HTH

1 - 4 of 4 Posts