Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

This is the brindle boxer we'll be getting next week. He's about 12 weeks old, his breeder held him for someone who never came.  We are VERY excited about this. We've wanted a boxer for awhile now. Theres just a few minor things to finalize and it's good to go. A Couple things we are concerned about. He has not had his dewclaws done, will this be a problem? Also, he hasn't had his second shots, will he be more prone to illness? We are getting it done the day we get him. Also, we enjoy the insight of you members, so we've narrowed our names down to a short list from a good 30-40. Anyway, if you could help us decide or even possibly throw in some names we missed, it'd be appreciated.

The names are as follows. Cola, Toke, Chopper, Buddah, Deacon

Best,

Donya

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
ooooo...I like Chopper.

Ask the vet about the dewclaws...shouldnt be more prone to illness...good that your getting them asap tho...

·
Registered
16 Posts
A good idea to start with is to open your front door and yell the name.  If you're not embarassed by it, that's the one!  He sure is a cutie.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
What a cutie you have there.  I like Cola lol, just to keep up the confusion.  He looks like Cola to me.  

Kane still has his dew claws they just were just there when we got him, and they don't bother him or me one bit.

·
Registered
780 Posts
He is adorable!  The dew claws shouldn't be a problem.  Ziggi didn't have his off either when we got him.  The vet said they could take them off when he was under to be fixed but that it wasn't necessary.  If the dog will be running in an area with alot of brush, etc. it could get caught on something.  If it is in a mowed yard you should be fine.  Ziggi is 19 months and has never had a problem even when he gets into the weeds in our field.

For the name I agree with others that you need to practice calling it, what nicknames will you shorten it to, etc.  

I like cola the best of the ones you have.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
i agree he looks like a deacon, but boxerman44 has a great idea as well. The pup will let ya know what he likes by responding. If he responds to more than one, take note on which one he is quicker to respond to. best of luck with the lil guy. he sure is a cutie

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Deacon does it for me.  I look at him and I see Deacon :)

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Oh my, would you look at that face!!! That's a Deacon if I ever saw one....He is adorable....I'm a sucker for brindles anyways...The dewclaws should be fine, Tia still had hers when we rescued her...As for the shots, since you already have an appt for him to get them, he should be fine there as well.....Congrats, I know you are excited....Check my thread in the puppy section about what to have ready for your new arrival :)

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Definitely Deacon. Yep...looks like a Deacon! Very cute!  :D

·
Registered
905 Posts
Dew claws are never removed in Ireland - I think it might be illegal!  Anyway, the puppy won't have any problems with them, but you might!  Emmet and I call them the gimp claws because they are the most inconvenient things for catching you on the thigh, the arm, whatever!  They tend to be sharper than the rest of the claws because they don't come into contact with the ground so don't wear down, and therefore require more frequent clipping/filing.  But that's about it, really.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Voltaire's had been taken off when i got him - i thougt he had a birth defect :roll:  and called the breeder to find out why he didn't have them :oops:  She explained and i must admit it's very practical because Voltaire's a clumsy brute who likes to rake his claws down your thigh :roll: . If you have kids, expensive clothes or wear tights (pant yhoes - that right?) a lot i'd recommend it. :D
Your little guy's lovely - looks a bit like mine used to. Good luck deciding on the name. :D

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
I think Deacon also! :D

Rocky had his dew claws and didn't have any problems.  Well, I take that back.  Rocky had this adorable habbit of rubbing his face and eyes with his front paws, like a baby, and would sometimes scratch himself with a dew claw.

Good luck with that little cutie! :wink:

·
Registered
948 Posts
I like Chopper.. :D  Very cute too!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts