Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever take time to read a pet food label? I don't know about you but sometimes there are ingredients I can't pronounce let alone know what they are! As people are becoming more conscientious about what goes into their pet's food, they are trying to learn what ingredients to avoid. This is a slippery slope to climb because the average person doesn't even know what most of those ingredients are. Food manufacturers for both our pets and ourselves try their best to make the foods appear healthy and appealing. I mean face it, more sales equals more money. This post is going to try to navigate that slippery slope and discuss some of the ingredients to avoid. The list will be broken down into categories to help you understand what the supposed purpose of each ingredient is and why you should avoid them.

Preservatives

• BHA (Butylated Hydroxyanisole) and BHT (Butylated Hydroxytoluene) are preservatives derived from petroleum. BHT has been banned from use in baby products in the USA and BHA and BHT both have been banned in several countries for use in human products.
  • Ethoxyquin is used not only as a preservative, but as a pesticide too. It has also been banned for use in human products because it's believed to cause cancer.
  • Propyl Gallate is used in food, hair products, cosmetics, adhesives and lubricants.

Additives

• Propylene Glycol is banned in Europe and may be toxic in large amounts.
  • Glyceryl Monostearate is on the list because of potential chemical additives.

Flavoring Agents

• Animal Digest can come from unspecified parts of unspecified animals. These can include the “4-D animals” (dead, disabled, diseased, or dying before slaughter), rats, horses, goats, pigs, sheep, euthanized animals from shelters, restaurant and supermarket waste, and road kill.

Coloring Agents

• Blue 2, Red 40. Yellow 5, Yellow 6, and Titanium Dioxide are all linked to many serious health issues.

Vitamins

• Menadione Sodium Bisulfate has been linked to many serious health issues.

Now on to some ingredients you may recognize and wonder why they are on this list. These ingredients might seem harmless enough but hopefully we can explain why these ingredients are either unnecessary or potentially harmful to our pets.

• Corn, because pets love the sweet taste and it's a cheap protein source, is often the first on the list of ingredients (which also makes it the most abundant ingredient) in pet foods. Low quality corn, which is commonly used in pet foods, often contains mycotoxins (secondary metabolites produced by microfungi that are capable of causing disease and death in humans and animals) which cause damage to a pet's liver and kidneys.
  • Wheat is another one of those cheap protein sources. Many experts believe the continued exposure of our pets to wheat has resulted in allergies and intolerances to wheat and wheat gluten.
  • Soy is another source of cheap protein. Soy, along with the above mentioned corn and wheat is one of the most common food allergens for our pets. Another problem is that 89% of soy and 61% of corn crops are genetically engineered or GMO (genetically modified organisms) which can adversely affect not only our own health but our pet's as well.

Trying to understand all the ingredients in your pet's food can be a hard task. I try to go by something told to me years ago. If you can't pronounce it or have no clue what it is, most likely it's not good for you or your pet. So try to avoid ingredients like those on this list for a happier and healthier pet!

All posts with Blog post in the title are posts I wrote for another website

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Good list!

I would add ingredient splitting. Ex: pea protein, pea fiber, etc. When combined, it should make that ingredient go higher on the list.

·
Premium Member
13,468 Posts
Well that's a scary list :(

I just checked the ingredients of nature's Domain Turkey Meal and Sweet Potato Formula (what I currently feed) and I don't see any of those listed :)
Of course there may be something else in it that may or may not be good:

Turkey meal, sweet potatoes, peas, potatoes, canola oil, potato protein, potato fiber, natural flavor, flaxseed, ocean fish meal, salt, choline chloride, dried chicory root, tomatoes, blueberries, raspberries, yucca schidigera extract, dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus casei fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus plantarum fermentation product, dried Trichoderma longibrachiatum fermentation extract, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, niacin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin (vitamin B2), vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

·
Registered
54 Posts
It's terrible that you have to basically have a research degree in order to decipher ingredient labels nowadays.

We got hooked up with a local raw food manufacturer, and it equals out to about $70 a month for the boxer baby, and our little dog. Not CHEAP, but close to high end kibble.

The awesome poops from RAW are worth it. ;)

Even with human foods, today's acceptable ingredients are tomorrows banned ingredients. Better to start with whole foods and meats.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Flavoring Agents

• Animal Digest can come from unspecified parts of unspecified animals. These can include the “4-D animals” (dead, disabled, diseased, or dying before slaughter), rats, horses, goats, pigs, sheep, euthanized animals from shelters, restaurant and supermarket waste, and road kill.
My experience with euthanized shelter animals is that some are donated to classrooms for dissection and the majority are cremated en mass. Even euthanized pets (vet clinic) sometimes aren't even allowed to be legally buried in many places without special permits because of fear that barbituates could leech into ground water sources. This is especially true of euthanized horses.

I'm also confused by what's wrong with horse, goats, pigs, and sheep parts. If an animal can eat a whole carcass raw it's okay, but not if it's an unspecified part of the animal?

Not looking to debate, just looking for clarification.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Here is solidified evidence from the president of the AAFCO, being interviewed on King 5 news

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-industry-exposed/euthanized-pets-dog-food/

And just in case you needed more proof here is another video from an "insider" who leaked it. WARNING

This is graphic. It made me sick watching it.

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-industry-exposed/dogs-meat-meal/

This list of bad food in the OP is great but it goes so far beyond that. You have to look at where the ingredients are sourced, how they are processed, mixed and bagged etc

For example Natures Variety uses rabbit in some of their raw foods. They pride themselves on being natural and oh so great. This rabbit comes from CHINA. Ok? I am 100% sure rabbits breed like mice and for the prices they pay why cannot someone in at least North America breed for consumption?

Another example. Most venison and/or lamb comes from New Zealand. This is ok though because New Zealand has such high standards but even still do I want my pets meat food ingredients shipped half way around the world so the company can save bucks?

NRG, Champion Pet Foods (Acana/Origen), and First Mate are the only processed foods I personally like that I have found because they are 100% sourced in Canada, processed and bagged in Canada. Their foods are sourced from human grade ingredient providers and some of them I believe are even made in human grade facilities with the same precautions as in making human food.

There's lots of "good" kibbles out there in terms of what it says on a bag but it is so farther and so deeper than just that.

That is another reason fresh food is best :). Time consuming, messier, expensive and tedious but it truly is worth it to know the food I am giving is "real".

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The shelter where I volunteer bags the animals and throws them in the dumpster. If the land fills arent properly lined which I highly doubt they are in backwards Oklahoma, then the drugs used during euthanasia are leeched into the ground and can contaminate ground water.

Here is one article, there are many out there if you want to search

Outcry Over Pets in Pet Food - Los Angeles Times

·
Registered
61 Posts
I want to add something about soy. As most of us know boxers run a high risk of thyroid problems. Soy is an anti-thyroid it can slow the thyroid down.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have no idea, to be honest. I've never tried it haha. I have friends that did try it for experimenting purposes and they've said that it's not that bad. I don't even know what to think about this, to be honest :)) For my miniature husky, I am buying just premium food and he never had any problems with it. From time to time, I want to spoil him and I am cooking him a big steak, but that happens rarely. I love him and I would do anything for him to make him happy. I know that he loves me and protects me. Everybody should get a dog!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts