Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

what a rescue dog brings to your life

9K views 30 replies 17 participants last post by  Barbs2Ks 
#1 ·

Having had 2 rescue boxers, incl my current boxer  samson, I am a huge supporter of adopting a rescue boxer. My first boxer Buck is a purebred, bought from the breeder & was the love of my life, when we decided he neeed a companion I really didn't want to do the "puppy thing" again, so I started exploring other options & discovered Boxer Rescue LA. Well that's where we got Tia from & it was the best decision. Those poor innocent dogs soo desperately need homes & they are just soo grateful that they make great pets. Tia was abt 9 mos when we adopted her & she had been physically abused. For the longest time she would shy away if you didn't approach her correctly. What changed? She saw all the love we gave Buck & realized that there was no way we would hurt her ever. Samson was 6 when I got him & was removed from his home due to neglect. He has scars on his front feet(probably from a chain being wrapped around them), his front teeth are almost gone(we think someone may have tried to fight him), but he is the most good natured dog you could ask for. How could you not want to give a home to a an animal in those circimstances? Obviously you don't know their background, but does that really matter? It certainly doesn't for me. I'm not into showing Samson, so his pedigree was never an issue, people have to get over that part I think. Altho I have been told by a couple of people that know boxers well, that Samson has the look of Bang Away, there is no way to find out. I just love him for him & that's all that matters..Ok, I've been on soapbox long enuf...Adopt a boxer....save a life.. Samson says......

See less See more
Discussion starter · #6 ·
Hi everyone..When I started this thread back when I joined my main purpose was just to express my thoughts as non Dog people get tired of hearing me!!
Thanks to everyone for their stories. It truly gives me the warm fuzzies. With both of my rescues I have been very diligent about keeping the rescue informed on what's going on. To the point when we moved to Ireland I sent the rescue in LA a long progress report along with pictures of what Tia was up to. I think the rescue appreciates it, plus you can pull up the stories on their website & people that are considering adopting have something to look at. I won't say that I think it should be mandatory to do that, but highly recomended. How else can the rescues track what's going on with their adoptees? I know in the contract that it clearly states that if for ANY reason you cannot keep your boxer, they should be returned to the rescue, how many possibly aren't? Maybe end up on the street or worse? Something to think about...

Discussion starter · #8 ·
It's good to know that the rescues are supposed to check up on their adoptees, altho neither time did any body get in contact with me. I do realize that they are very busy, understaffed etc, so it's understandable. When I adopted Samson his foster mom was so attached to him that I kept in contact with her so she would know how well he was doing. Which reminds me, I'm due for an update to the rescue.  :) I agree that both parties need to take some responsibility for keeping everyone in the loop.
Got a question that maybe someone can answer regarding rescues. Samson was microchipped by the rescue, which is great, is this a new thing that the rescues are doing? The only reason I ask as when I adopted Tia years ago in Calif, that wasn't done.

Discussion starter · #11 ·
Congrats to you!!! They are a very good organization and truly care about the boxers that they are trying to place.....If it's possible, take someone with you when you pick up your new boxer. That way they can sit in the back and keep him/her company....Spread a towel out also, even tho It's not a pup, I assume, it still is a good idea. Depending on how long of a drive you have, you may want to consider taking a rest stop also....I drove 2 hrs to pick up Samson and he was fantastic on the ride home. Curled up in the passenger seat and snoozed most of the way..... :)

Where abouts in OC are you? I used to live in Orange

Discussion starter · #13 ·
Back when I went to LA rescue, I found them thru the paper. I can imagine what their site must look like. Have to check it out...I would definitely have either you or your wife sit in back with your boxer...A good start at bonding and if there are any issues, someone is right there to deal with it....All of mine love car rides, but you never know, better to be safe.... :)

Very familiar with Orange Mining CO, one of my favorite places actually...I sure do miss all that.....I would kill for a visit to King's Fish hut..... :lol:

Discussion starter · #19 ·
Wow Andrea, that is terrible...I can understand why you wouldn't want to deal with them now....Bruyere , that definitely qualifies as a rescue story to me...Bless you for taking in little Oscar and giving him a loving, forever home....Glad he's doing better and it just reminds us all how unscrupulous people can be....

Discussion starter · #27 ·
Amen to that Cuda!! Breaks my heart everytime I look at rescue sites and see all these lovely furbabies that certainly did not ask to be there, but due to lack of research, poor breeding, they have ended up in a shelter.

Now we have a founding member of LA rescue that has passed away and all her babies need to be re-homed and the outpouring of help is truly amazing!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.