Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

what a rescue dog brings to your life

9K views 30 replies 17 participants last post by  Barbs2Ks 
I don't know if most people would say we rescued Oscar or not but here is the story and I will let you decide.

My husband and I were at a flea market (having no intention of getting a dog) when we ran across the pet store there.  We went inside and started playing with the dogs.  When we ran across a 3 month old boxer.  We both looked at eachother and couldnt resist.  He was really skinny looking and scared.  The conditions of the store were not the best I had seen.  We got the papers on him and they gave us a certificate saying he was checked out by the vet the day before and had a clean bill of health. After we got him home that night he started to cough.  We called to take him in to the vet the next day and they said he had a case of the kennel cough. He went on medication and it he only got worse his hacking and breathing escalated.  After his breathing got raspy they took some xrays and found out he had a bad case of pnemonia.  It hurt me to know that this pet store obviously lied about a vet and a clean bill of health and to know that the majority of dogs at this store had to have had the same thing and were not being properly treated.  Long story short Oscar struggled with pnemonia for 5 months, going to the vet on a regular basis for breathing treatments and x rays.  But through it all he was his playful self bringing us smile and laughs.  The vet would always ask how his deminer and ability to play was and I said if he didnt have the cough we would have never known anything was wrong with him.

I had never been around a boxer before we got Oscar and I would recommend them to anyone, they are the most playful, loyal and loving dogs I have ever seen and I wouldnt trade Oscar for the world!

My aunt and uncle got a 4 month old Lasa (the same day we got Oscar) from the same place we got Oscar and she had a miner case of Kennal cough.  We both used the same vet at the time and she said she had seen numerous cases from the pet store we went to and had turned them in before and seeing our two dogs she turned them in again.  As far as I know they are still in business but have to keep a cleaner facility.  

Oscar has had a lot of bad luck, he is allergic to a lot of medicens and breaks out in hives or in one case last Christmas Eve he swelled up and passed out, now that was scary.

Thank you all for your comments.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.