Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

what a rescue dog brings to your life

9K views 30 replies 17 participants last post by  Barbs2Ks 
#1 ·

Having had 2 rescue boxers, incl my current boxer  samson, I am a huge supporter of adopting a rescue boxer. My first boxer Buck is a purebred, bought from the breeder & was the love of my life, when we decided he neeed a companion I really didn't want to do the "puppy thing" again, so I started exploring other options & discovered Boxer Rescue LA. Well that's where we got Tia from & it was the best decision. Those poor innocent dogs soo desperately need homes & they are just soo grateful that they make great pets. Tia was abt 9 mos when we adopted her & she had been physically abused. For the longest time she would shy away if you didn't approach her correctly. What changed? She saw all the love we gave Buck & realized that there was no way we would hurt her ever. Samson was 6 when I got him & was removed from his home due to neglect. He has scars on his front feet(probably from a chain being wrapped around them), his front teeth are almost gone(we think someone may have tried to fight him), but he is the most good natured dog you could ask for. How could you not want to give a home to a an animal in those circimstances? Obviously you don't know their background, but does that really matter? It certainly doesn't for me. I'm not into showing Samson, so his pedigree was never an issue, people have to get over that part I think. Altho I have been told by a couple of people that know boxers well, that Samson has the look of Bang Away, there is no way to find out. I just love him for him & that's all that matters..Ok, I've been on soapbox long enuf...Adopt a boxer....save a life.. Samson says......

See less See more
#2 ·
that's exactly how i feel.
I got my boxer Lucy from a breeder; and i can't stop thinking about all the abused and neglected dogs....i want to adopt a boxer from a rescue and show the dog how much love it can receive.  I cannot get it off my mind and i am currently in search of a rescue boxer.  I have filled out 2 applications and am awaiting feedback.
Your post summed up my feelings exactly.
Thanks.

#3 ·
Our first boxer came from a breeder but our second boxer was rescued.  It was not our intention to adopt another pet so early but we found our rescue when he was six weeks old in a mud pit covered with fleas.  The owner was trying to sell mom and pup (real cheap)  We investigated and decided we would take the pup.  Someone else was interested in the mom.   We drove all the way from Central Illinois almost down to Paducah, KY to get him.   I called the vet on the way home and told her what we had and she gave us great instructions until she could see us that next Monday.

Needless to say, after the initial first week, he was accepted into our family wholeheartedly.  It took our Scout a week to become familiar with our newly acquired Gunner but they are inseparable now and are constant companions.  They always need to be touching each other.  Gunner has the saddest eyes I have ever seen but he is a very loving and intelligent puppy.  He has thrived at our home after being treated for tapeworm (which he got from eating fleas).  It is great to come home and see his little wigglybutt waiting for me!

#4 ·
We have brothers that came from a breeder, Bam and Eddie.
Our son has moved out on his own and took Bam to live with him and Eddie has just moped around and started suffering separation anxiety. We never even thought about getting another dog because Eddie just doesn't get along well with other dogs besides his brother. Any way one of my wife's co-workers saw an "I Love my Boxer" magnet on her locker and began asking questions. Come to find out she had a 9 month old female, June Bug " Junnie" that is a rambunctious puppy. They are about to have their first baby and are afraid Junnie will hurt the baby so they had to get rid of her. The pound was in her very near future if they couldn't find a home so we decided to take her and see how it goes. We figured that if Eddie just couldn't get along with her we would find a good home. Well, low and behold, Eddie took right up with her. I think she is gonna be just the companion he needed.

#6 ·
Hi everyone..When I started this thread back when I joined my main purpose was just to express my thoughts as non Dog people get tired of hearing me!!
Thanks to everyone for their stories. It truly gives me the warm fuzzies. With both of my rescues I have been very diligent about keeping the rescue informed on what's going on. To the point when we moved to Ireland I sent the rescue in LA a long progress report along with pictures of what Tia was up to. I think the rescue appreciates it, plus you can pull up the stories on their website & people that are considering adopting have something to look at. I won't say that I think it should be mandatory to do that, but highly recomended. How else can the rescues track what's going on with their adoptees? I know in the contract that it clearly states that if for ANY reason you cannot keep your boxer, they should be returned to the rescue, how many possibly aren't? Maybe end up on the street or worse? Something to think about...

#7 ·
samsonsmom\";p=\"952 said:
How else can the rescues track what's going on with their adoptees?
Hi there,
We do, but many times, it is the foster home that gets the updates and not the app workers. There are also many other times that we call to follow up and our calls aren't returned (I'm sure everyone gets busy!). We do get the occasional update when we call to check in and see how things are going, but they really are few and far between.

I do agree that rescues (AND breeders) need to follow up with their past adoptions every once in a while, and that it's also the adoptee's responsibility to follow up with the rescue/breeder where they go their dogs from as well. We really do love to hear the good stories and that you are enjoying your fur-kid(s)! :)

#8 ·
It's good to know that the rescues are supposed to check up on their adoptees, altho neither time did any body get in contact with me. I do realize that they are very busy, understaffed etc, so it's understandable. When I adopted Samson his foster mom was so attached to him that I kept in contact with her so she would know how well he was doing. Which reminds me, I'm due for an update to the rescue.  :) I agree that both parties need to take some responsibility for keeping everyone in the loop.
Got a question that maybe someone can answer regarding rescues. Samson was microchipped by the rescue, which is great, is this a new thing that the rescues are doing? The only reason I ask as when I adopted Tia years ago in Calif, that wasn't done.

#9 ·
Hi Willow,
Each individual group has their own policy with regards to chipping. We chip all of ours. Chipping is also a newer thing (within the last 10 years or so). . . It is quite possible that your girl was chipped before chipping was routinely practiced, depending on her age. It also took a while for chipping to catch on. Many didn't chip for a while, simply because shelters didn't have scanners. Now that they all have them, however, it's become the standard for many rescue groups (and breeders - my dogs are all chipped, as will be my puppies prior to leaving my home).

#10 ·
Couldn't help but to revive this old thread.

Boxer Rescue LA caught my eye since I am just beginning to deal with them.  I got my application approved and simply need to make an appointment.  I currently don't have a dog, but I have in the past.  I am just trying to figure out what I should get so I'll be ready.

I will transport the dog in the back of an SUV.  Does anyone think it is wise to put him in a crate rather than free to roam in the back of the vehicle?

Thanks.

#11 ·
Congrats to you!!! They are a very good organization and truly care about the boxers that they are trying to place.....If it's possible, take someone with you when you pick up your new boxer. That way they can sit in the back and keep him/her company....Spread a towel out also, even tho It's not a pup, I assume, it still is a good idea. Depending on how long of a drive you have, you may want to consider taking a rest stop also....I drove 2 hrs to pick up Samson and he was fantastic on the ride home. Curled up in the passenger seat and snoozed most of the way..... :)

Where abouts in OC are you? I used to live in Orange

#12 ·
samsonsmom\";p=\"4818 said:
Congrats to you!!! They are a very good organization and truly care about the boxers that they are trying to place.....If it's possible, take someone with you when you pick up your new boxer. That way they can sit in the back and keep him/her company....Spread a towel out also, even tho It's not a pup, I assume, it still is a good idea. Depending on how long of a drive you have, you may want to consider taking a rest stop also....I drove 2 hrs to pick up Samson and he was fantastic on the ride home. Curled up in the passenger seat and snoozed most of the way..... :)

Where abouts in OC are you? I used to live in Orange
Yes, I'm glad I found them online.  I first started looking for dogs for sale.  When I saw their website, I knew this would be the type of dog I would feel best about taking home.  Poor guys...  I wish I could take them all home.

You bring up a good idea.  I was thinking about having my wife sit in the back seat so she could be near the dog.  Poor guy is going to need to adjust and I hope it's not too scary for him.

I am about 15 minutes South of Irvine in a small 'berb.  I just ate at the Orange County Mining Company the other night.  I take the back canyon road to get there.  I'm sure you've been to that place?

#13 ·
Back when I went to LA rescue, I found them thru the paper. I can imagine what their site must look like. Have to check it out...I would definitely have either you or your wife sit in back with your boxer...A good start at bonding and if there are any issues, someone is right there to deal with it....All of mine love car rides, but you never know, better to be safe.... :)

Very familiar with Orange Mining CO, one of my favorite places actually...I sure do miss all that.....I would kill for a visit to King's Fish hut..... :lol:

#15 ·
I don't know if most people would say we rescued Oscar or not but here is the story and I will let you decide.

My husband and I were at a flea market (having no intention of getting a dog) when we ran across the pet store there.  We went inside and started playing with the dogs.  When we ran across a 3 month old boxer.  We both looked at eachother and couldnt resist.  He was really skinny looking and scared.  The conditions of the store were not the best I had seen.  We got the papers on him and they gave us a certificate saying he was checked out by the vet the day before and had a clean bill of health. After we got him home that night he started to cough.  We called to take him in to the vet the next day and they said he had a case of the kennel cough. He went on medication and it he only got worse his hacking and breathing escalated.  After his breathing got raspy they took some xrays and found out he had a bad case of pnemonia.  It hurt me to know that this pet store obviously lied about a vet and a clean bill of health and to know that the majority of dogs at this store had to have had the same thing and were not being properly treated.  Long story short Oscar struggled with pnemonia for 5 months, going to the vet on a regular basis for breathing treatments and x rays.  But through it all he was his playful self bringing us smile and laughs.  The vet would always ask how his deminer and ability to play was and I said if he didnt have the cough we would have never known anything was wrong with him.

I had never been around a boxer before we got Oscar and I would recommend them to anyone, they are the most playful, loyal and loving dogs I have ever seen and I wouldnt trade Oscar for the world!

#17 ·
[quote="Bruyere\";p=\"9173":2lu49xlx]I don't know if most people would say we rescued Oscar or not but here is the story and I will let you decide.

My husband and I were at a flea market (having no intention of getting a dog) when we ran across the pet store there.

#18 ·
I believe that rescuing is the best way to go. I personally have not had a good experience with our local boxer rescue. I put in an app, had a home inspection and then never heard back from the rescue. I finally after about 2 1/2 months sent an email to them inquiring about the status of my app and about two weeks later got a reply that said no because my back yard was littered with cig butts and cig packs and the celephane wrappers. This upset me because NO ONE SMOKES at my house. Obviously they replied to the wrong applicant, but they refused to listen to anything i had to say. They stated that my home was not "fit" for a boxer. This was very upsetting to me. I know others who had difficulties with this rescue as well, but i was so hoping to go beyond this and give it a try. if it comes time for a new dog (hopefully 15 years down the line!!) - i will attempt a rescue again, but from a different group. I rescued Savannah from a breeder-but some dont consider it the same.  I give congrats to everyone out there who has and will rescue. Once i buy a home- i do plan on trying to foster.

#19 ·
Wow Andrea, that is terrible...I can understand why you wouldn't want to deal with them now....Bruyere , that definitely qualifies as a rescue story to me...Bless you for taking in little Oscar and giving him a loving, forever home....Glad he's doing better and it just reminds us all how unscrupulous people can be....

#20 ·
Bruyere I would definitely consider that a rescue.  We rescued Reagan our ferret from a pet store. I know he's not a dog but it was so sad there we wanted to cry. They had 8+ ferrets in an inclosed badly ventalated box type thing. NO food in their good bowls... NO water in their water bottles... it was scary when they opened the door... they all got super excited and with in 15 seconds... they'd slow WAY down... and just kind of lay there! THAT IS NOT WHAT A FERRET DOES!! Poor reagan skinny as can be (they all were really) was sleeping in the litter box. We told them they didn't have food and water... we were there for probably an 1+ after we told them and they still didn't have any food or water!!!!!!!

I called the lady from the ferret shelter there in SA, TX (we were talking to her about adopting a ferret) and told her what we had saw there at that pet store. Since we were headed out of town she said she'd go down there and see for herself and then report them. I asked my friend if she'd check that pet store out while she was on that side of town and last I checked with her... they weren't selling ferrets anymore!

#22 ·
samsonsmom\";p=\"9215 said:
Wow Andrea, that is terrible...I can understand why you wouldn't want to deal with them now....Bruyere , that definitely qualifies as a rescue story to me...Bless you for taking in little Oscar and giving him a loving, forever home....Glad he's doing better and it just reminds us all how unscrupulous people can be....
Everytime i go into a pet store I want to take every dog out with me.  It's hard to make the decision to rescue it from them while giving them money, which only fuels their fire, ya know!

#23 ·
When I was growing up, our family dog Lucy was a rescue.  She was a black lab/greyhound mix.  They had rescued her from a river in Northern Minnesota; someone had thrown 6 of her brothers and sisters into a sack and had successfully killed all but Lucy and her brother.  Lucy lived a long and fruitful life, dying last winter at 15.

How someone could be so heartless, I will never understand.  In fact, one of my neighbors in college lived on a farm where they would drown pups that weren't purebreds.  Obviously, after that conversation, I never really spoke with her anymore.

#24 ·
My aunt and uncle got a 4 month old Lasa (the same day we got Oscar) from the same place we got Oscar and she had a miner case of Kennal cough.  We both used the same vet at the time and she said she had seen numerous cases from the pet store we went to and had turned them in before and seeing our two dogs she turned them in again.  As far as I know they are still in business but have to keep a cleaner facility.  

Oscar has had a lot of bad luck, he is allergic to a lot of medicens and breaks out in hives or in one case last Christmas Eve he swelled up and passed out, now that was scary.

Thank you all for your comments.

#25 ·
I know it's been a while since this post was going around but I wante to share my story.  We had a boxer in our lives for 10 years (well 5 for me. Hubby had he before we got together). and she past a year ago.  A few months went by and we decided to get another.  Found a woman who was selling her 1 1/2 year old female.  We got her.  We also had a cocker spaniel who recently passed.  We decided that Mo needed a playmate and we wanted another boxer.  I saw online that our local humane society had a 3 1/2 year old male.  I went to check him out and someone had already adopted him.  A week later I went back and he was back.  Supposedly the man and woman were getting divorced and the woman didn't want him so he took him back.  Not quite sure what he was doing there in the first place all I know is I am so glad that we have him.  His name is Niko.  He is so lovable and playful and a wonderful playmate for Mo.  Mo was a little jealous for a couple days.  It's only been about 2 weeks and they already love each other.  We couldn't be more happy with our new addition to the family and we just love him to pieces.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.