Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

what a rescue dog brings to your life

9K views 30 replies 17 participants last post by  Barbs2Ks 
#1 ·

Having had 2 rescue boxers, incl my current boxer  samson, I am a huge supporter of adopting a rescue boxer. My first boxer Buck is a purebred, bought from the breeder & was the love of my life, when we decided he neeed a companion I really didn't want to do the "puppy thing" again, so I started exploring other options & discovered Boxer Rescue LA. Well that's where we got Tia from & it was the best decision. Those poor innocent dogs soo desperately need homes & they are just soo grateful that they make great pets. Tia was abt 9 mos when we adopted her & she had been physically abused. For the longest time she would shy away if you didn't approach her correctly. What changed? She saw all the love we gave Buck & realized that there was no way we would hurt her ever. Samson was 6 when I got him & was removed from his home due to neglect. He has scars on his front feet(probably from a chain being wrapped around them), his front teeth are almost gone(we think someone may have tried to fight him), but he is the most good natured dog you could ask for. How could you not want to give a home to a an animal in those circimstances? Obviously you don't know their background, but does that really matter? It certainly doesn't for me. I'm not into showing Samson, so his pedigree was never an issue, people have to get over that part I think. Altho I have been told by a couple of people that know boxers well, that Samson has the look of Bang Away, there is no way to find out. I just love him for him & that's all that matters..Ok, I've been on soapbox long enuf...Adopt a boxer....save a life.. Samson says......

See less See more
#27 ·
Amen to that Cuda!! Breaks my heart everytime I look at rescue sites and see all these lovely furbabies that certainly did not ask to be there, but due to lack of research, poor breeding, they have ended up in a shelter.

Now we have a founding member of LA rescue that has passed away and all her babies need to be re-homed and the outpouring of help is truly amazing!!!

#28 ·
My Boxer babies are rescues from the Lonestar Boxer Rescue here in Houston. We got Sampson when he was three months old (now 1.5 yrs) and just got Lucy about a month ago, and she is now 7 months old. Sam had kennel cough and mange and Lucy had both of those plus Giardia which we are currently treating. We are fortunate enough to have the funds to get these dogs back to healthy and give them the spoiled lives they deserve. These pups are our children and bring such joy to our lives  - I will always adopt and save a life!

#29 ·
Sky is my 3rd rescue, and I have loved my other two, Sammy and Billy just as much.  Sammy was 9 years old when I rescued him, and his love and affection and gratitude (not to mention puppy-like antics) just warmed my heart forever.  He crossed the bridge after likely the happiest 6 months of his life.  Then Billy, who was 2 yrs. when rescued, came into our hearts.  I thought it was not possible to love another like we had loved Sammy, but our Billy proved otherwise.  Such a wonderful, funny, noble friend!  He lived with us just 5 short years, then died peacefully in our arms in January, of mysterious causes.  Then Boxer Rescue Ontario (you are the most wonderful group of people on earth!!) informed us that they had rescued 5 dogs from a puppy mill, and one of the females had given birth to 6 pups -- and we could have one!  So here is Sky, all full of joy and antics, and already earned his place beside our Sammy and Billy.
So my thoughts?  Rescue a Boxer, of any age!!  They are all wonderful and will respond to your love and caring and give you so much more in return!

#30 ·
Although this thread is old, I have a wonderful story to share, so I am bringing it back!

My husband and I were looking for a dog for months and scouting all the local rescues, spca's, etc.  We both loved boxers but really wanted to rescue.  My husband's friend and his wife had just saved their second dog when she saw a boxer in the spca, called me and I was there in an hour!  

When I met Buster for the first time he was so skinny his ribs and spine were showing, he had kennel cough, his coat was patchy (don't think it was quite mange), a runny nose and a runny eye.  He was in pretty bad shape, but like other's have said, his personality was shining through.  He was so nice and loving.  We have had him for four months now and I am excited everyday to come home and see him dancing around the kitchen (even though he sometimes pee's in excitement!)!  We got him at 2 years old and he was very well mannered... I just think to myself everyday, who could give this cute thing up?  

Anyway, he has brought more joy to our life then you could imagine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.