Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If the puppies in Izzy's litter are doing well the new owners are supposed to pick up the puppies on Christmas Eve. They will be 6 weeks, 2 days old.
I am very excited about getting Izzy  :D

I have already checked with my Vet on his opinion and he doesn't feel that it is a problem as long as they are weaned and doing well.

There seems to be a lot of controversy on the appropriate age to get a puppy.

Opinions, pros and cons are appreciated....

·
Registered
169 Posts
My personal opinion is 6 - 12 is perfect, hold them longer if they are in perfect health / strength eating well ect. , i think you will be just fine with her and what a perfect christmas addition :) technically hailee was my christmas present ( i just couldnt wait so i got her 2 months earlie ) Hailee was 12 weeks when we got her and of the last 3 in her litter, saw her and fell in love!!

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Personally I'd wait until at least 8 weeks.  They have a lot to learn from mom and being with litter mates, a lot of doggy social behaviors that people just can't replicate.  It won't hurt to stay with mom longer, but it could make a negative difference if you take her home too early.  Why would the breeder let the pups go when most new owners will be very busy doing other things or traveling?
Felix was 11 weeks when I got him, but i'm not sure when he left his mom since I adopted him :/  
did you vet mention anything about behavioral/social issues with taking a pup home too soon?
In some states it is illegal to let puppies go before 8 weeks of age.
a short article:
http://bullmastiffinfo.tripod.com/when.html
You've waited this long... two more weeks isn't so bad, if its for the best interest of your puppy in the long run :)

·
Registered
663 Posts
I got Bo at 8 weeks, breeder fibbed a bit and told us 9 weeks.  Got Laila at 8 weeks as well.  Seemed to be a very good age to me.  Also at 8 weeks they have had two rounds of their shots which makes the chances of them getting sick much smaller.  IMO anyways.  I feel that the breeder is wanting to get rid of the pups as soon as possible.  Might make some extra Christmas cash while he's at it.  Sorry, but that is my opinion.  If the breeder is wanting to get rid of them ASAP and you don't take yours they might sell it to someone else.  You never know.  Anyway, I wish you the best of luck in your situation.

·
Registered
942 Posts
We got Kaci at 6 weeks and Milo at 3 months.

neither are good with other animals, Kaci loves people, Milo hates other people.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
We had to wait till Odin was 8 wks of age. In FL it is state law that you can't sell a puppy before 8 wks and when you sell them at 8 wks they have to have had their 8 wk check up and have been given a health certificate. Basically it's state law that they have to have a health certificate and you can't get it till 8 wks of age.

He loves people and other animals... so much so I'm worried he's going to injure them due to his OVER excitement! lol

·
Registered
220 Posts
I wait until eight weeks of age before letting my pups go, and they have their first vet check up and shots.  I try to tell the new owners that they should wait until 10 weeks of age so their new pup will be better socialized with people and other dogs/cats.  I personally think it makes for a better dog.

Scott

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Henry was 14 weeks, I think, too long ago I can't remember.
He had been w/ mom and litter mates running the streets for 3 - 4 weeks, so he was deffinately used to being around his fam.  Then the animal shelter picked them up and called the owner.  Owner came to get mom and 3 pups, couldn't/wouldn't get the 4th for some reason, so my hubby got him.  We got lucky that hubby was there, he got to meet the mom and dad and litter mates and hear about their story.  So we got a pure bred boxer for $50 from an animal shelter! :D
He's 15 months old now and still a little skittish when meeting new people, but he loves all doggies and most kitties.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
I got Hanna at 14 weeks, Kash at 11 weeks, and would do it all over again.   I tend to see (not always) that younger pups have more fear, are a bit harder to train, and require more socialization.  I feel the older the pup the more experience it has in the world.

Yes is mega exciting to get your pup, and there are days I wanted to call and say..."Hey, can I get him now??"  however by letting them stay with the breeder longer they developed great socialization and other traits by being with their litter than they ever would by being at my house.

Also most rep. breeders would never let a pup go before 8 weeks.   Its more of a health thing, as well as a behavioral thing, and in most states...against the law!    Many breeders who let pups go at 5-7 weeks are somewhat more concerned about recooping the money they have spend and getting their profit (sorry if that is a bold statement, again, IMO).

So good thing to do your research and figure out what you want for your puppy.  She is cute and congrats on your new addition.

·
Banned
2,318 Posts
i got sumya just shy of 8 weeks. i have not really had any people or animal problems, well except for those poor squirrels she terrorizes 8O . other than that she has been good. i did put her in a puppy training class at 11 weeks, not sure if that makes a difference or not.

G

·
0 Posts
As I said in another post, we got Jetta at exactly 6 weeks...and though at first she liked to chew my hand and feet...that has begun to decrease to almost nothing.  As far as being afraid and skittish...Jetta is the most fearless dog I have met and is always excited to meet new people and animals.  She is healthy (more so than a lot of the pups I know of on here) and very smart and a fast learner.  honestly, from my own personal experience (this is my first pup so it's not a lot of experience) I wouldn't do it any other way...you don't know what kind of enviornment the pups are growing up in..if there are other dogs in the house, they could be teaching her to not  be nice...kids could torment them, etc...I like raising mine up from that early age to how I want them to behave, but that's just me...and it has worked for me...but you will have to take the place of mom and siblings...although, you do have other dogs in the house, so they can help with some of the bite inhibition and other manners some.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
I got Kiah from the rescue at 8.5 months old, so I don't know when she left the litter.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Savannah we rescued at 2yrs :D she came from a "breeder" who had her since she was a pup..she never had any socialization with humans..only other animals. She is fine with animals...but she is scared of people..but getting better!! she has been with us for 8 months now.

Reese we got at 12wks. She was the perfect puppy when we brought her home....some things have changed since we got her..but i wouldnt trade her for anything...i would get both girls all over again!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Psycho and Gixxer were 9 weeks old when we got them.  But here in SC, we have always, as long as I can remember, get them between 6-8 weeks.

·
Registered
977 Posts
We got Voltaire at 12 weeks. He was from a breeder who had about 20/30 boxers (her own and rescues and others from her previous litters she had staying whilst their owners were on holiday) which i'm sure has made him into the dog-friendly little chap he is. Because the breeder was a single lady with no family he was timid around humans for a long time. Lots of cuddles worked wonders for his confidence :D
Even at 12 weeks he had the same eating/appetite problems :roll:  a lot of boxer pups seem to have. He was completely clean and house trained at 5 months :angel: .

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Of my 4 Boxers, so far, Buck has been my only pup and he was 10 wks, which I feel is just about right. If you read the Sticky topics about breeders, a good breeder will not let pups go til at least 8 wks, mainly for health reasons. If all goes as planned my new bundle is due at Christmas and I will again wait 10 wks before bringing him home.. That's not to say I won't be chomping at the bit, but I think it makes for a better adjusted pup.... :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts