Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been searching and found the sticky on what it is......but what are the signs?

Lola was acting oddly quiet last night, and she kept laying on the floor (usually she's on top of me on the couch).  She was very warm to the touch and her stomach was rock solid and she kept laying on her back so I would rub it.
She seemed fine this morning, but I'm wondering what was wrong with her.  Obviously wasn't bloat right?  Wonder why her stomach was so hard?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dan!

"The most obvious signs are abdominal distention (swollen belly)" - that's what I thought and why I got nervous.

She didn't have any other signs though - " and nonproductive vomiting (animal appears to be vomiting, but nothing comes up) and retching. Other signs include restlessness, abdominal pain, and rapid shallow breathing. Profuse salivation may indicate severe pain. If the dog's condition continues to deteriorate, especially if volvulus has occurred, the dog may go into shock and become pale, have a weak pulse, a rapid heart rate, and eventually collapse. A dog with gastric dilatation without volvulus can show all of these signs, but the more severe signs are likely to occur in dogs with both dilatation and volvulus."

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
From the people I know that have experienced bloat, their dogs symptoms were that they were very restless, pacing, panting and their stomach actually stuck out on one side. They also kept trying to vomit unsuccessfully.
Maybe Lola was just bloated or had a bit more gas than usual last night. I hope she is feeling better today!

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Lisa!  She seems fine today.   I've just never seen her stomach that hard and bloated so of course I thought the worst.  She ate this morning and tried to play as I was leaving for work, both good signs that she's okay!

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Glad to hear she's feeling better today!  :D

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Maybe she just had a lot of gas?  :lol:
Glad she is feeling better.

G

·
0 Posts
bloat is vvery serious if anyone ever sees the signs they need to take their dog to the vet immediatly the symptoms progress very fast and can lead to death in as little as an hour after the stomach flips up side down

1 - 8 of 8 Posts