Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just curious what you are all feeding your puppies?  I have a 12 week old named Diesel and we are feeding him "Chicken Soup" puppy formula and he seems to be doing good on it.  He seems to like it a lot, never any problems finishing what we give him.  However, he has some rancid gas.  He can clear the room.  I guess my question is, do you think I should try something else?  Our local petstore has all the major brands and also a lot of brands that aren't mainstream.  Any suggestions on a certain food from anyone that has had this problem??  Thanks guys and this site is the best.

·
Registered
578 Posts
There is some great info on here on this topic...personally when i finally found a food that agreed with Fredo's tummy, i stuck with it and am unfortunatley just trying to put up with the gas, I mean I deal with it from my bf, and i still let him eat what he wants. I don't want to show favoritism...lol
We feed Dick van patten's chicken and brown rice by the way.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
My two eat Canidae - all life stages. It works really well for them, but I've heard a few here that it didn't go so great for.
I want to switch to Merrick (I've been saying that for months) but I cant justify the huge price increase per bag to the husband..

G

·
0 Posts
After being here awhile, I found that a common theme with people on here who have boxers is gas.  I would say...at least 70% if not more of the boxers on here have the farts, lol.  It's just part of the breed, they have very sensitive tummies, and gas seems to be on of the things they have.  My girl Jetta has some pretty rancid gas....Bo doesn't.  It really just depends on the dogs.  If your pup is eating well, has solid poopies, and is growing, I would stick with what you have and thank God that you found something on your first try!

·
Registered
693 Posts
We feed the same brand food. Although we don't have to bad a problem with gas. Thats just a Boxer trademark. My last girl Sophie could peel paint with her gas. :D

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did a ton of reading and have found a bunch of different points of view from a lot of different people.  I guess what I am asking is if the food is working for him should I jusr leave good enough alone.  Also should I be oncerned with this food being a "dDamond Pet food" product?

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Nutro Ultra here - Sampson does fine and little to no gas but Lucy, good lord, she is a gassy thing. I think it may have some to do with the fact that she eats so darn fast. I have tried putting a toy or ball in her food to slow her down but she still finishes in record time compared to Sam.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
OhioJoe\";p=\"84926 said:
I did a ton of reading and have found a bunch of different points of view from a lot of different people.  I guess what I am asking is if the food is working for him should I jusr leave good enough alone.  Also should I be oncerned with this food being a "dDamond Pet food" product?
My best guess would be to google the recall sites, and / or write to diamond and ask if the food you're feeding has been recalled.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
[quote="OhioJoe\";p=\"84926":2okv3j6c]I did a ton of reading and have found a bunch of different points of view from a lot of different people.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
My opinion is that if you find a food that your pup enjoys and does well on, then leave well enough alone. You can give about a tablespoon of plain unsweetened lowfat yogurt daily to help with the gas. It works!   :D

G

·
0 Posts
the recalls for diamond foods has been for their lower grade stuff, the stuff with corn, wheat and soy.  Chicken soup and premium edge have not, as far as I know been included in any recalls.  I think you are fine in that aspect.  I personally would stay with what you are feeding...I have gone through three kinds of food already trying to find the 'right one".  I know many others have gone through close to 10...if you have solid poop and good coat and a puppy that is eating happily and gaining weight...stick with it, lol, that's a rarity

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes he is growing very fast, his poop is solid and he seems to love the food.  It was the first food we tried when we took him off what the breeder was feeding him (purina puppy) and he made the switch just fine after a weeks time.  When I was in highschool my family had a boxer and I don't remember the gas issue at all and all she ate was bil-jac frozen food, that was years ago.  She lived a long healthy boxer life of 11 years.  I guess I should just be glad I have found a food that he likes and just invest in a gas mask for when we are sitting around watching TV.   :lol:

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
[quote="OhioJoe\";p=\"84926":1431ynb4]I did a ton of reading and have found a bunch of different points of view from a lot of different people.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I went on dogfoodanalysis.com and read about the food he is on, it did OK.  Like I said, I guess if he is doing goos aside from the gas issue I will leave him on it.  anyways here is some pictures of the terror.  First one is at 6 weeks and then they go in order, 8 weeks 10 weeks.  I will have to get some recent ones soon.

G

·
0 Posts
oh, my gosh...he is adorable...that is exactly what I was looking for when I got Jetta...but had to settle on a female...and one with more white than I wanted...but I wouldn't trade her for the world...adorable puppy...love the pic with the kid...boxers and kids...gotta love em!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Xena has always had trouble with gas no matter what food she's on but seems to be doing a little better on Nature's Recipe large breed adult formula. I havent smelled anything from Zoe just yet. She was initially on Nature's Recipe large breed puppy but now I switched her to Wellness Just for Puppy...she looks great and scarfs it down in no time.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts